• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Using "rape" to refer to the maltreatment of anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
The problem is that rape carries a strength which is not carried by any other word. It implies that what has been done to the anime is a moral crime of the first order. This is a legitimate opinion by one who holds anime to be something important, nigh sacred, exactly the sort of person who would be likely to frequent an anime site.

Wow, that's a first, I agree. It's not about the actual meaning of the word, it's about the connotations that go along with it. It's the same thing as 'gay' 'retard' or 'faggot', it's not a moral judgment on being homosexual or anything like that, it's just using the connotations that have come to be associated with the word as an attempt to put some sort of generic dramatic impact on the circumstance being discussed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Really now, its just a bloody word that describes the violation of something (an artform for example) very accurately. How about we just say 4kids murdered the show then? Its a far worse crime, but I guess we would not have as many ridiculous complaints about insensitivity as I reckon there are probably no murder victims surfing the net.

You can call people throwing ANY words around excessively immature, but truly mature people really would not give a damn.
energydan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
It's not worth fighting over though. If the mods and others feel that strongly about "rape" then just use another word. Like Pleroma said, just use murder or castrate like someone else said earlier. The actual acts are far worse but the words don't outrage people nearly as much as rape does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Really now, its just a bloody word that describes the violation of something (an artform for example) very accurately. How about we just say 4kids murdered the show then? Its a far worse crime, but I guess we would not have as many ridiculous complaints about insensitivity as I reckon there are probably no murder victims surfing the net.

You can call people throwing ANY words around excessively immature, but truly mature people really would not give a damn.

qft

Mods here need to COOL IT
halochief_90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
I don't if anybody could be hurt by the word murder, as it is a very common word. But if there were a possibility of that happening, you have to remember that there are the family's of murder victims, and thus the word murder "could" hurt them.
Zero89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
The problem is that rape carries a strength which is not carried by any other word. It implies that what has been done to the anime is a moral crime of the first order. This is a legitimate opinion by one who holds anime to be something important, nigh sacred, exactly the sort of person who would be likely to frequent an anime site.

However, if a substitute must be obtained, I would suggest blaspheme. It keeps the important elements of the moral crime and the importance of the afflicted anime, though with a term that is somewhat less charged.

well personally, I like the word debauch:#

1. To corrupt morally.
2. To lead away from excellence or virtue.

# To reduce the value, quality, or excellence of; debase
(courtesy of dictionary.com)

Don't think it can get more accurate than that

Neutral
and lastly, chill out... I don't think a rape victim would like to read an entire thread dedicated to the very subject that may or may not have traumatuzed them for life... Rolling Eyes
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
Steroid wrote:

However, if a substitute must be obtained, I would suggest blaspheme. It keeps the important elements of the moral crime and the importance of the afflicted anime, though with a term that is somewhat less charged.

well personally, I like the word debauch:#

1. To corrupt morally.
2. To lead away from excellence or virtue.

# To reduce the value, quality, or excellence of; debase
(courtesy of dictionary.com)

Don't think it can get more accurate than that

Neutral
and lastly, chill out... I don't think a rape victim would like to read an entire thread dedicated to the very subject that may or may not have traumatuzed them for life... Rolling Eyes

Debauch works, but just imagine how many people will typo it.....oh well....w/e, I'll use whatever I feel fit, just not rape.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

The thing is, anyone who holds cartoons (much less merchandise-flogging shows that 4kids license) in a sort of sacred, important position basically has no right to comment on shows like that, because it pretty much sums up their maturity and ability to actually convey rational, healthy conversation, but I digress.

People have also mentioned that Anime is an art form. THat is true to an extent of the types of series that are edited for broadcast. But you also also have to understand that these series, their edits and changes, are approved by Japanese licensors (not nessecerally the original manga authors, but they by default give up influence over the Anime unless the producers say otherwise, hence the appearance of fillers and non-canon movies). If they were truely 'raped', then they'd be edited against their will. But since the only thing I can think of that'd even come CLOSE to that would be Warriors of the Wind (Nausicaa's first English dub), I don't think it applies to many of the things discussed on anime forums.

Plemora: Looks like maturity is in the eye of the beholder. Mature people don't so much care about what people are saying it, but they care about how it's being said. You don't want to 'throw yourself in with their lot'.

energydan: I'd also prefer if people didn't use those, but I find rape to be a slightly different, if not worse crime than murder (then again, it's subject to conditions. Some murders are worse than some rapes, and vice versa).

Quote:
Mods here need to COOL IT

People need to overreact less to children's cartoons. ^^;.

Zero89: Commited Debauchery. Absolutely great. If people could use this word instead of rape, murder, castrate etc, then I think that'd be golden.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Definition of Rape:

1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

Take a look at the third definition. That perfectly describes what is being done to the anime in question. Thus, rape is a perfectly valid word to use. Those who are arguing against it just don't understand that the word has multiple meanings.

Besides, "rape" is derived from "rapere", a Latin word meaning "to seize". It didn't even originally have a sexual connotation.

There is nothing wrong with using the word "rape" in the context described.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steroid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
The thing is, anyone who holds cartoons (much less merchandise-flogging shows that 4kids license) in a sort of sacred, important position basically has no right to comment on shows like that, because it pretty much sums up their maturity and ability to actually convey rational, healthy conversation, but I digress.

Far from a digression, I think it lies at the heart of the issue. And I think it goes without saying that I strenously disagree. People have the right to comment on any subject they wish. Rationality and health can still exist if the values of the person don't correspond to the more common ones. I maintain that the values of anime can indeed be part of a healthy life. It's not fair to say that those people don't deserve the chance to express themselves.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Definition of Rape:

1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.

Take a look at the third definition. That perfectly describes what is being done to the anime in question. Thus, rape is a perfectly valid word to use. Those who are arguing against it just don't understand that the word has multiple meanings.
How is editing an anime a "rape of justice?" When the dubbing companies bought the rights to the anime from the Japanese producers, they bought every right to treat that show the way they wanted to. Unless the Japanese companies request otherwise, the dubbing companies have EVERY RIGHT TO TREAT THE DAMN THING THE WAY THEY WANT TO. If the company has the rights to do whatever they want to with a show, IT IS NOT A VIOLATION, IT IS NOT A RAPE, IT IS FREAKING LEGAL, therefore, no definition of rape is an "accurate" description of what any treatment any dub recieves.

Excluding Studio Ghibli, when was the last time you ever heard a Japanese company complain about the quality of their dub? When was the last time you ever heard a non-English speaking Japanese person ever CARE about what happened to the dub of an anime? If not even the oh-so sacred Japanese don't give a damn about dubs, why the hell should you? Furthermore, a rape is a FACT, an event that actually happened. The quality of a dub is an OPINION. Not only is using the term "rape" to describe the quality of a dub stupid, it also implies that it's a sheer fact that the dub is crap and that nobody can disagree with your OPINION. Being raped is a FACT. Whether or not you liked a dub is your OPINION, therefore, DO NOT MIX UP FACTS WITH OPINIONS. I know! From now on, everytime somebody uses the term "rape" to describe the quality of a dub, we should all just press the "report post to mod" button. I think that'll solve this problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
All this thread has accomplished so far is making me want to use the word "rape" from now on where I normally wouldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
All this thread has accomplished so far is making me want to use the word "rape" from now on where I normally wouldn't.

Let's act out of spite! go team!

Quote:
People have the right to comment on any subject they wish.

And that's perfectly fine, but the word rape does neither justice nor rationally explain 'treatment' of an anime. Expressing of an opinion is a great thing, but so long as it's done in a rational, inoffensive way.

I have to assume anyone willing to compare (and thanks Kouji) something such as rape to a merchandising cartoon as someone who, on one of several levels, is not right in the head, and if they don't mean 'rape', then there's still absolutely no valid reason to use such a word.

In conclusion, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Coolerimmortal: one of the major principals behind the use of the word rape is that while yes, it has multiple meanings, people only ever use it in conjunction with a type of sexual assult/physical/mental abuse. No one ever says 'faggot!' under the assumption that the person is a pile of sticks. Just about everyone crying 'rape!' of an Anime is simply suffering from one too many knee jerk reactions.

(PS Values of anime? Explain)
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
coolerimmortal wrote:
Definition of Rape:

How is editing an anime a "rape of justice?" When the dubbing companies bought the rights to the anime from the Japanese producers, they bought every right to treat that show the way they wanted to. Unless the Japanese companies request otherwise, the dubbing companies have EVERY RIGHT TO TREAT THE DAMN THING THE WAY THEY WANT TO. If the company has the rights to do whatever they want to with a show, IT IS NOT A VIOLATION, IT IS NOT A RAPE, IT IS FREAKING LEGAL, therefore, no definition of rape is an "accurate" description of what any treatment any dub recieves.

Excluding Studio Ghibli, when was the last time you ever heard a Japanese company complain about the quality of their dub? When was the last time you ever heard a non-English speaking Japanese person ever CARE about what happened to the dub of an anime? If not even the oh-so sacred Japanese don't give a damn about dubs, why the hell should you? Furthermore, a rape is a FACT, an event that actually happened. The quality of a dub is an OPINION. Not only is using the term "rape" to describe the quality of a dub stupid, it also implies that it's a sheer fact that the dub is crap and that nobody can disagree with your OPINION. Being raped is a FACT. Whether or not you liked a dub is your OPINION, therefore, DO NOT MIX UP FACTS WITH OPINIONS. I know! From now on, everytime somebody uses the term "rape" to describe the quality of a dub, we should all just press the "report post to mod" button. I think that'll solve this problem.

Well....the "rape of justice" thing is in Italic text on dictionary.com, meaning it is just an example........>_>
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

Well....the "rape of justice" thing is in Italic text on dictionary.com, meaning it is just an example........>_>

Still, it's only rape in the eyes of the people who actually have no involvement in the production process, therefore it's really not rape.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6