• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
The anime was made after only 3-4 volumes of manga were out, and thus the plot had to be completely different. In fact, from what little of the anime I did see, it hardly seemed to have any plot at all, though they had at least started to introduce the storybooks, which they handled pretty well.

The manga really has a very interesting story to it but the anime just massacres it, IMO.

Something I should point out is that, while she was too busy to supervise the entire anime, Nanase Ohkawa (or whatever her name is now) wrote the scripts for the first and last episodes herself. The ending was different from the manga, yes, but it was intended that way. Think of it as getting two endings for the price of two, rather than just one ending for the price of two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
papa john wrote:
id have to say STOP BUYING THE DVD'S! if you havnt opend them return them quickly before they make you stupid Anime dazed !

Too Late Crying or Very sad It's a box set! Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, we did warn you Smile

Hopefully you can find something to like in there at least.

I have to admit, I haven't started watching the 2 DVD yet. Other movies on TV have caught my attention. I really enjoyed The Island with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansen (sorry about the OT). Something like that might make a good anime story, unless there's already a story out like that...is there?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
papa john wrote:
id have to say STOP BUYING THE DVD'S! if you havnt opend them return them quickly before they make you stupid Anime dazed !

Too Late Crying or Very sad It's a box set! Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, we did warn you Smile

Hopefully you can find something to like in there at least.

I have to admit, I haven't started watching the 2 DVD yet. Other movies on TV have caught my attention. I really enjoyed The Island with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansen (sorry about the OT). Something like that might make a good anime story, unless there's already a story out like that...is there?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I have to admit I haven't begun to watch the 2nd DVD yet. Some TV movies have caught my recent attention. The Island with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansen is excellent! (Sorry about going OT)

I think that The Island would made a great anime story. Unless something like that has already been made. Is there an anime out there with a similar storyline?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finally finished watching Chobits a little while ago. It took me a while since work and other things took up some time.

I still think that Hideki is a bit of an idiot but he and the anime settled down and came into their own with episode 18 spoiler["Chi Disappears."] After that I think that the story got better and better.

I liked the characters of Jima and Dita, I sort of wished they had a bit more story time but they're not the focus of the story.

The Chibits mini-story was just hysterical! Poor, poor Kotoko! Being with the off-the-wall Sumomo obviously tries her dearly. Kotoko possibly the only sane person in the whole cast. Like I said, I enjoyed Chibits immensely and laughed through the whole thing. spoiler[Underwear and Ribbons Laughing Laughing ]

I have to say, that I am glad that I got Chobits even though the first 17 episodes were a bit trying.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I have to say, that I am glad that I got Chobits even though the first 17 episodes were a bit trying.

So you enjoyed it after all? I watched it and even enjoyed it myself, but it still felt like a lot of unnecessarily risqué fluff to me. It's not the kind of show I found myself watching multiple times or recommending on a regular basis afterward, but I can see why it had a following when it came out. Chobits was pushing the boundaries and I don't doubt that Chii's youthful looks and naive personality was a major draw to a lot of lonely otaku. There was a bit more to it than just the sexed-up moe angle of course, but it seemed like you had to wade through an awful lot of fluff to get there. In the end I think they could have easily cut the series in half and still told a similar story with a lot less fluff, but that might have put the brakes on Chii's lonely hearts fan club.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

So you enjoyed it after all? I watched it and even enjoyed it myself, but it still felt like a lot of unnecessarily risqué fluff to me. It's not the kind of show I found myself watching multiple times or recommending on a regular basis afterward, but I can see why it had a following when it came out. Chobits was pushing the boundaries and I don't doubt that Chii's youthful looks and naive personality was a major draw to a lot of lonely otaku. There was a bit more to it than just the sexed-up moe angle of course, but it seemed like you had to wade through an awful lot of fluff to get there. In the end I think they could have easily cut the series in half and still told a similar story with a lot less fluff, but that might have put the brakes on Chii's lonely hearts fan club.

I'm not sure if I'll recommend it very often and I agree about the "wadeing through the fluff", that's what took me so long to get through it. I could put up with one episode at a time (day) but the last 6 episodes, I pretty much kept watching. Those were the best of the series.

While it was sort-of worth the wait, it will be a while before I'll be able to watch it again...this time with the English dub. We'll see how that goes! Rolling Eyes
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Chobits was constantly hillarious because Hideki was such a mentally deficient idiot. An idiot trying to teach an artificially intelligent computer, there's one word for that and it is irony. I love the series it's extremely funny and not only did it have ammusing comedy but drama as well. I breezed through the boxset in a day. I guess it just doesn't strike as much of a cord with some people just like I have a hard time figuring out why some people go nuts over FLCL.
Angelus_Bloodlust

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
I just joined this site and figured my questions may be answered. I have just finished watching the Chobits series and the Chibits short. I have seen on other forums that I am not the only one who is well left wanting more. The story ends without any real closure.

spoiler[We all see that Chii comes back and reunites with Hideki and uses the program, and I noticed that all the persocoms eyes became human for a few seconds. This made me wonder what the program actually did, I assumed it programmed a program similar to the one Chii and her older "sister" had into all persocoms, but only speculation. After seeing the ending episode I was left well dissapointed, but my hopes jumped hearing about Chibits. I thought this was the sequel and when I heard Hideki was in college I was like whaaaat!?!?! Big time skip there, plus Chii seemed to have, well downgraded or dumbed down since the last episode or the series. I was hoping for more episodes but soon learned it was just a short no continuation of the series. Is there any chance of a sequel or will this be like Evangelion where the fan is left wanting more. I hate when anime companies do that, I understand that not all endings have to be completely closed and for some series it is better that way, but Chobits should have been done some justice like maybe a few episodes or even an episode showing pictures of what the future held for them. I mean obviously we know what Chii meant saying "Persocoms are different and can't do everything a human can" i.e. Sex, having children, but Chii can love so it begs to be understood why if Chii was meant to find that "special someone" as her primary motive that the possibilities brought on by her creation would not have been implemented further. I mean this is anime we are talking about so artificial womb, and maybe the ability to have sex. I mean a few times it was said that only her one and only or her special someone could touch her in between her legs. So maybe Hideki is able to lets say have sex which may in fact lead to other things. There is another animes I forgot it's name. but a man falls in love with a female humanoid robot and actually has a child, since this is all anime and most of anime is imagination then why wasn't more options pursued and why cut the series at the critical moment when Hideki finally admits he loves Chii?]

Sry if this is seen as senseless rambling, and I know I said sex and am not sure if that is seen as vulgarity or obscenity seeming as though I was speaking of it in a procreational sense, not a perverted sense. Thank you whoever gives there insight and any and all positive feedback is welcome please do not bash me for being a good fan and wanting to know more and pursue more info.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. Check above the top right corner of the post window. ~Zalis]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I really want to lock this as we don't typically allow these sorts of threads... but... I just can't bring myself to do it...

This may just be, the best first post I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Oh man, I really want to lock this as we don't typically allow these sorts of threads... but... I just can't bring myself to do it...

This may just be, the best first post I've ever seen.
I decided not to lock it because it wasn't a "2nd Season?" thread. To the OP, I'd suggest reading the manga--that's about all the "more" you'll get out of the Chobits franchise.
Angelus_Bloodlust

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
Thank you for not locking it, I guess if there is no hope for another season or a wrap up episode I guess my hunt is over thank you both for not just closing the forum I started. And for at least giving insight
10円

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Good lord! We have a series that allows a college age country hick to develop a 'romantic' interest with a robot that looks like girl who should be in middle school and acts like she's in preschool. Oh, but they can't have spoiler[sex. Well, actually they can but her memory might get erased in the process (what little she's managed to retain anyway). And the point of having sex is to conceive of course, ](yeah, right) but they can't manage that either. Oh boohoo.

The other series you're probably thinking of is Hand Maid May, which allows for spoiler[sex (and conception!)] with robots of all shapes, sizes, and personalities and possibly even an artificial squid. What more could you ask for?

Angelus_Bloodlust wrote:
I know I said sex and am not sure if that is seen as vulgarity or obscenity seeming as though I was speaking of it in a procreational sense, not a perverted sense.

There is no difference; were are all descended from perverts. The non-perverts all died off hundreds of years ago from lack of will power to sustain their race. Just ask the 国会.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but Clamp almost never does "sequels" do they? I can only think of 1 title with a second season or sequel and that's Rayearth. I really liked Chobits but I don't see where they have enough for a whole 2nd season. I mean it's a typical anme ending with questions left unanswered but not really enough for a whole second season.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
The movie that I can think of where a robot has a child is Armitage: Dual Matrix. Not a bad movie.

While I enjoyed Chobits, much of the humor got a bit wearisome after a while. And I wanted to smack pretty much everyone upside the head in the series except for Sumomo and Kotoko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13