• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei DVDs Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Do titles such as Sailor Moon revert back to the originator? Would she then be able to turn around and sell/license to another company?

Depends on the contract. If the original contract has some sort of stipulation that the rights revert to the creator (or another investor) upon Toei's bankruptcy, then that happens.

If there's no such stipulation, then the rights (or Toei's share of the rights) go into the bankruptcy assets and will be sold to recover the bankrupt company's debts. Anyone could end up owning them, a bank, the highest bidder, the government, etc...

This is why some anime often have rights that are of unknown status, or in "licensing limbo."

Quote:

What about titles that were thought up by Toei itself? What happens to those?

Same situation as a property with no contractual stipulations.

-t
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Do titles such as Sailor Moon revert back to the originator? Would she then be able to turn around and sell/license to another company?

Depends on the contract. If the original contract has some sort of stipulation that the rights revert to the creator (or another investor) upon Toei's bankruptcy, then that happens.

If there's no such stipulation, then the rights (or Toei's share of the rights) go into the bankruptcy assets and will be sold to recover the bankrupt company's debts. Anyone could end up owning them, a bank, the highest bidder, the government, etc...

This is why some anime often have rights that are of unknown status, or in "licensing limbo."

Quote:

What about titles that were thought up by Toei itself? What happens to those?

Same situation as a property with no contractual stipulations.

-t

Thank you very much as well. I really appreciate the answers given by you and Shadowhawk. They've cleared things up for me.

No wonder contract attorneys make big money!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Almost no marketing whatsoever for their DVDs (Major press received trailer discs, not the actual discs to review). So their was very little press about them. Anime Insider, Anime News Network, Anime on DVD and Newtype did not review the products before they were released (if at all).

biliano wrote:

Actually, Anime on DVD did in fact reviewed Slam Dunk Vol. #1-4, Air Master Vol. #1-3, and Interlude:

Air Master Vol. #1
Air Master Vol. #2
Air Master Vol. #3
Interlude
Slam Dunk Vol. #1
Slam Dunk Vol. #2
Slam Dunk Vol. #3
Slam Dunk Vol. #4

Newtype USA reviewed Slam Dunk Vol. #1 in their April 2005 issue. The review, which was written by Phil Theobald, is found on page 177. In that same issue on page 182, Chris Johnston reviewed Air Master Vol. #1.

See that "Before they were released" bit ?

Compare the review dates with the release dates.

-t
Someone_II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Damn, and I was planing to buy Slam Dunk on payday. Well, this sucks.
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually some of their shows are in demand. Namely shows like Bo-bobo and One Piece that haven't been released on DVD yet or haven't been released uncut.

I mean Bo-bobo doesn't have a ton of fans, but there's still a group out there that would buy it on DVD. But Toei has no plans to release it or from what I've herd they don't. I mean if they release it uncut with a sub track, people will buy it. And it would be a blessing in dusguise for Toei. I mean people still buy anime that are as crazy or crazier then Bo-bobo with just as many or more Japanese-only puns and gags.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
This....4Kids being given carte blanche to mess with One Piece....and the whole Battle Royale "3,500 screen guarantee" release controversy.

Geez, if i didn't know any better, Toei thinks they can conquer the US market, but failed miserably.
ryoga79

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Slam Dunk hits me again, I have five volumes of manga which got cancelled and now four useless volumes of it on dvd. I sort of expected it as it wasn't advertised, Amazon only had info & a picture for the 1st volume and as everyone else has mentioned, it wasn't advertised at all.

I admit I was going around slating the subs but I was still putting over that it was a good show - probably more advertising than Toei did.

Guess I just have to hope it gets the release it deserves sometime in the future, both manga and dvd.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
Dang it, and I've been waiting patiently for new releases of Salm Dunk, I love that series. It seems like I have no choice but to import or wait for another company to pick up the rights, it seems I'm eventually going to go with the former Sad
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also, the people who say "I believe the support for these titles is there"... I don't get that. This isn't some kind of faith-based argument; you can't look at the numbers and say "Well, I believe this". It's like looking at the sky and saying you believe it to be yellow.

Because, as someone else has pointed out, it's not an unreasonable assessment to make here, given these rather specific circumstances. There was no advertising and it was a deplorable product; it's not out of the question that there are (or were) fans of Slam Dunk, Interlude, and Air Gear that were either not aware that the DVDs were even available, or refused to buy such a crappy, crappy release in the first place.

If, say, Geneon or FUNimation put these series out like any other one of their licenses, with a fair amount of advertising and a respectable quality, do you really think these series would have the same lack of support that they do as garbage-grade discs nobody was told about? I would honestly doubt it. Even if it were just a slight increase, I honestly think there would be more fans buying these anime under those circumstances than there were lining up for Toei's release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that the executives at Toei are either druggies, insane, or both.
I think it's more a case of nievely thinking that they could rely on their indigenous notoriety as a basis for exporting and treating the overseas market the same as at home. Maybe having come to their senses they will go back and try again but more like the rest who have been successful overseas. Only time will tell.
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
ryoga79 wrote:
Slam Dunk hits me again, I have five volumes of manga which got cancelled and now four useless volumes of it on dvd. I sort of expected it as it wasn't advertised, Amazon only had info & a picture for the 1st volume and as everyone else has mentioned, it wasn't advertised at all.

I admit I was going around slating the subs but I was still putting over that it was a good show - probably more advertising than Toei did.

Guess I just have to hope it gets the release it deserves sometime in the future, both manga and dvd.

I'm in the same boat, pretty much. Though I didn't buy the dvds for obvious reasons, Raijin Comics was doing a great job on the manga, in my opinion.

I was able to collect a few volumes before they went out of print. Same with some of their other stuff, such as Fist of The Blue Sky and Bow Wow Wata (Which I thuroughly enjoyed and wished I could read more of).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm in the same boat, pretty much. Though I didn't buy the dvds for obvious reasons, Raijin Comics was doing a great job on the manga, in my opinion.

I was able to collect a few volumes before they went out of print. Same with some of their other stuff, such as Fist of The Blue Sky and Bow Wow Wata (Which I thuroughly enjoyed and wished I could read more of).

No kidding, on a totally unrelated topic, SOMEONE really needs to pick up the licenses that Raijin had. I really wanna see some of those at least finish out their run. *sigh*
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see someone pick up the Raijin Comics stuff as well for distribution outside Japan... It's just a crying shame that the Americans never got used to a weekly manga anthology like us Brits did as we've been used to weekly comics for years... Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac: There might be a demand for Slam Dunk. She Got Game sells ok for Tokyopop, and Vagabond sells well for Viz. I think SD is just a tougher series to market than other sports titles. I could see why Air Master wouldn't be a big hit here, though. The female lead isn't hot enough to appeal to guys, and she's too muscular too appeal to girls.

kraid:
Quote:
I believe the demand is there, it's just that after word got out how they authored the DVDs, ie using close captioning instead of subtitles and not having chapter breaks in between episodes, among other things, it turned alot of people off.

I don't think that would make a difference if Toei at least released titles which they knew would reach a wider audience.

Nagisa:
Quote:
Perhaps if someone who actually knew what they were doing had put these titles out, they would've fared better

I think that, at best, they'd probably do as well as some of ADV's worst-sellers like Gals. The manga was more accurate, and didn't catch on here, either. I've talked to Viz, and even though they hinted that they'd re-release it, they don't seem to have plans.

Storm Princess:

Quote:
Actually some of their shows are in demand. Namely shows like Bo-bobo and One Piece that haven't been released on DVD yet or haven't been released uncut.

I was hoping the 4Kids One Piece would fail, but apparently it has a decent sales rank at Amazon. *sigh* But at least the low ratings ruined 4Kids' market share. Cool
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
kinnonyee wrote:
This forum is getting filled with wrong facts as usual.
Anyways I'm surprised ANN hasn't reported this IMPORTANT fact as of yet. It was pretty big news in this summer.

The new President and COO of Toei Animation Inc. (US)
is Yosuke "James" Kobayashi.

Sound familiar? He used to be the head at Geneon.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! How can a man I respect so much go over to Toei... so this is why I haven't seen him listed with Geneon as of late. I really hope he can change the direction of the company, because being the former president and CEO of Geneon USA, he ought to know what we like. I hate Toei Co. as a whole with a passion (not just Toei Animation Inc.), but I really hope for the best with Kobayashi at the helm...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4