• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The Origin Anime Unveils English Cast with Dubbed Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
Animehermit wrote:
Of the UC timeline dubs, 0079 is decent, not insultingly terrible and the only good dub is Unicorn. All the other ones are mostly terrible (of the series anyway some of the OVAs are better)

Disagree. 0080 was very good and 8th MS Team was also quite strong, not to mention Char's Counterattack. F91 was decent. IMO, whilst UC has some poor dubs(0083, Trilogy, Zeta and Double Zeta), I'd argue that the AU dubs fare worse. G, Wing, Endless Waltz, SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, Awakening of the Trailblazer and AGE all have mediocre-awful dubs, due to reasons such as wooden acting(Wing and G), weak leads(SEED and 00) and poor production(AGE).

I did say the OVAs were better(08th MS Team and 0080 are both OVAs). They are for the most part. CCA is an ok dub, it's not fantastic, but it's watchable at least.

You are of course correct in that all of the other ones for the most part are awful. Though I do think that G Gundam's awful dub kind of helps the campy nature of the show.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, G Gundam's English dub is a weird situation. Clearly it's rife with poor performances, but in a way, it kind of works with the weirdness of the show. I just don't think it works as well as the Japanese version, which is more sincere.

The English dub for G Gundam is more like "Okay by accident."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MrBonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
What the hell is with the pronunciations in this trailer?

You guys are praising this and bashing Zeta. Yet at least the pronunciations didn't sound like the person didn't understand the script or the origin of the word itself. And just instead treats every word like it's supposed to be pronounced with Japanese syllables.

- Ch-A-Rrrr- (As in Charizard) -Az-Na-ble- Kirk.T is the only one to pronounce Char right (Char as in Shar) but then says Assnoble. In fact he seems to be the one making most of the stupid pronunciation choices that feel completely unnatural. He also puts WAAAYyy too much emphasis on "CaSSVal"
-Ha-mo-n- Does Haman Karn sound Japanese to you?

It's so cringe worthy. At least they can get Zeon Zum Deikun right ffs

I'm sitting here still wishing they had just made movie versions of Tomino's original Trilogy of Novels instead. At least with that they don't have to compress literally ~12 volumes of 400+ page comics of what was once a 40 episode TV series in to only 4 movies.

Compilation movies almost never work for, they are always awkwardly paced, stilted and leave out or change stuff that just doesn't end up working.

The Zeta Gundam movies were pretty awful in that respect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3