• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Cover Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you know I have to mention Rumbling Hearts here, right? That box art is so glassy-eyed and precious, and some international editions are even dippier. You'd have no idea that after the second episode, this makes a hard left into alcoholism, PTSD, and sexual infidelity. The 2003 Fall preview guide is almost comical in how fully it falls for the red herring first episode, but when a show trolls you this hard, what are you gonna do?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Scrapped Princess-probably just personal for me, but I remember watching the first episode and I really disliked it. Hated it in fact. So much I just turned it off right after the first ep. Turns out, the first ep might've been showing the worst attributes of our main characters. On my second time through, I watched the whole first disc and did indeed want more. It went on to become a favorite eventually, but damn if that first ep didn't completely turn me off.

I'm also a fan. But, there is one thing that, for me, is a glaring problem through most of it. And, that is my perception of Pacifica. With almost all the arcs (and I was glad that the last arc was most of the 2nd half of the series, Pacifica seemed to learn a lesson and would act less bratty...until the next arc and that side of her character seemed to be reset.

Still, loved the series overall. Hope it gets a licence rescue, as the Bandai releases are hard to find and seem to be priced at the $90USD mark.

Also, I didn't like the first episode either. But, I was checking it out due to enjoying the first season of Chaika, and decided to watch it between the 2 Chaika seasons.

Quote:
If you dropped Samurai Flamenco after the street vigilante business, or the robot monster business, or the ranger team business, it's time you picked it back up.

I wish I dropped it during the 'robot monster business'. I stuck it out instead, and realised I only enjoyed the first arc. Just felt like that everything they seemed to be building in the first arc just got thrown out and they went for a 'wackier' ride with the later arcs.

Not sure why I decided to stick it out, as I can't say I was enjoying the later arcs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Oh, you know I have to mention Rumbling Hearts here, right?

That anime was so bad it made me avoid anything with Hearts in the title unless word of mouth changed my mind.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Unfortunately the producers ran out of ideas and/or brains, and the anime turned into a mess. To me labeling this anime parody feels like giving it a free pass, excusing its lousy and lazy execution.

Wrongioli. SF was planned the way it was from the beginning. The 'jumping the shark point', the Flamengers arc is in one of the first promo shots released for the series, months before it aired. You can see the Flamengers vehicles in the air above the core cast, indisputably. The toku arc is 100% meant to be a loving parody, and it's extremely silly to say it isn't. It can be about what it means to be a hero AND have parody elements. These things are not mutually exclusive.

As for it not selling enough copies to warrant it, SF has a far larger fandom than a lot of other series they've released. It's not huge, but it's dedicated, and almost all of us would shell out the $$ for it. If stuff like Meganebu can get released over here, then no SF is a joke.

And SOMEONE realized that, because Great Eastern is producing US release Samurai Flamenco merchandise, something that many titles get none of. You can see a few items here http://www.geanimation.com/infoonly/characters_list.aspx?CharacterID=343
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
As far as Samurai Flamenco goes, it changes identities often enough that I'd almost prefer to grade it by the 6 or so arcs it has. The opening 6 episodes were some of my favorite anime of the season, and while I didn't necessarily welcome the genre shift, I didn't mind it too much when the King Torture and From Beyond arcs happened. I found the Prime Minister arc a little too ham-fisted in its attempt at satire, and the Alien episodes felt like the writers were out of ideas so they threw out something crazy. Overall, though, I didn't regret watching the show until the final arc.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Wow, thanks for the Mizushima shout-out! Sometimes I feel like the only person out there who loves almost everything that guy does.
You're not the only one. That guys a genius at weirdly cute comedies like Squid Girl, Panzer, and even Dokuro-chan. And then of course there's those extreme horror stuff like Another and Blood-C. But anyway I went into Garupan looking for cute girls in tanks and it more than delivered. Toradora was nice, but I barely saw it last year so I knew what to expect.
Mikeski wrote:
I'll add "Cat Planet Cuties" and "Bodacious Space Pirates". Even without those corny English titles, they seem to be "look! boobies!" and "look! cute girls doing cute things cutely!" shows, but there's some decent sci-fi in there.
I was surprised Cat Planet wasn't mentioned. Its one of those that looks like its gonna be a fan-service fest, but then I saw all the reviewers giving it high grades. Reminds me of B Gata H Kei, the preview scores were abysmal but then the show turned out great ( with much higher complete series grades).

I'd add Yuki Yuna and Wixoss from last year. I was expecting a cute fantasy from the former, and an edgy dark series from the latter. To be fair Wixoss was dark, but I didn't expect it to actually be that crazy. In the end I loved both series (and definitely prefer them to Madoka).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Would ya guys believe some people were laughing at Cowboy Bebop at first?
Still happens with Tiger & Bunny. Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
Damn, so was I the only one who didn't immediately like Scrapped Princess? I almost feel guilty (though I joined the fandom eventually, but there was a year gap between my watch of the first ep and the second chance I gave it)

I'm trying to think of a manga where I disliked the first volume, but once I got further in, liked it more. I feel like for every manga, I've liked it by the first volume, or at least wanted to check out more. Sure, shonen are best read in massive chunks, and most manga certain get better as they go on and flesh out setting and characters, but I'm usually at least interested by the first volume. I know a lot of people were so-so on Kekkaishi, which had merely average first few volumes before the plot really kicked in, though I liked it right away.

I will say that the Fruits Basket manga wasn't at all what I expected. I only bought it because a) found a bunch of it cheap and b) when Tokyopop was closing, a lot of blogs were doing "best of Tokyopop" and this was on every list without fail. But I feel like Tokyopop always advertised it as "cute animal hugging changy feel good fluffy shojo manga!" and glanced over all the horrifically depressing back stories all the characters had. Not what I went in expecting (I feel like most characters only hug change once or twice, except Kyo and Yuki), but it was what I preferred in the end, so I'm good.
Maokun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
My pick would be s-Cry-ed. It had all the ingredients of a super-mediocre action anime: inconsistent character design, sloppy animation, nonsensical name, terrible engrish lyrics, unexplained plot devices as setting and origin story, archetypical delinquent-with-a-heart-of-gold-who-never-gives-up protagonist, laughable turn of the millennium 3DCGi, etc. And I will not mislead you, it did not end becoming a super profound story full of moving human drama and thrilling narrative; not by any measure. What it ended being, though was a surprisingly fun romp with really interesting character dynamics and exciting battles, with a couple twists that managed to keep the series fresh throughout its duration.

Second pick: Angel Beats! That one did become a a super profound story full of moving human drama and thrilling narrative after a bland and derivative "Haruhi Suzumiya but in the afterlife" kind of first episode.

Last edited by Maokun on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Chalk me up on the "love" side of Samurai Flamenco's hate-it-or-love-it divide. It was a HUGE roller-coaster of a ride with great characters (besides the Flamengers, who were unfortunately not super fleshed out throughout the show). Also I will completely cop to the ending making the shipper in me extremely happy.

Toradora! won me over as early as the second episode and is still one of my favorite shows, but I probably wouldn't have watched it while it was airing if it wasn't for the mostly positive reviews it got in the preview guide. It definitely looks like a typical high school romance with a boring tsundere from the promo art and synopsis.

As for shows that I initially dismissed based on the cover or initial impressions, only to really enjoy later when I gave it a chance:

Chihayafuru: I don't typically like sports anime (or so I thought--I also enjoyed Free! so I'm starting to reassess that belief), so I thought this would bore me. I was wrong, this is another show where the strength of the characters (plus excellent production values) really make this show something great.

Love Live! School Idol Festival: I assumed this show was just otaku bait and wouldn't have any appeal to me, but similar to Chihayafuru the execution and characters (who are no where near as interesting as Chihayafuru's characters, but are written and acted really well for what they are) really won me over. To the point where I actually am considering watching other "pop idol" shows.

Princess Tutu: this came out during my teenage "I'm insisting I'm a tomboy despite being super girly because I feel like I have to be 'one of the boys' to participate in geek culture" phase, so I watched a few episodes but dismissed it as shoujo fluff and decided it was too girly and lighthearted for me, and instead decided Pretear was much better because it had more action scenes (which is hilarious to me in hindsight because Pretear is the shoujoest shoujo to have ever shoujo'd). It was actually my younger brother who convinced me to give the show a chance, saying "This is exactly your thing, you need to watch this show."

He was right. It's my favorite show of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Alright...so I guess to make it brief, a few other shows that took some time to grow on me were: Wolf's Rain which wasn't a matter of having a bad beginning, but I initially didn't go into the series with the keenest eyes so the subtle intellectual content washed over me until I re-tried watching it for the third time with sharp attention and I was head over heels for it. Noein had a bit of a drab first couple of episodes and was sci-fi in a very loose sense at the time, but once you reach episode 11ish it skyrockets for quite a while even if the final few episodes are a little tame. Lastly House of Five Leaves is a really slow burn and quite tepid in its nature that many will lose interest in very soon if they are impatient, but the rich character dynamics and the dimensions crafted to the encompassed individuals are just astounding and it ends on a haunting final act capped off with a soothing and satisfying callback ending; a mature, eloquent and finely tempered period piece and character drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Shows that took me a while to get into?

Hmmmmm......
I suppose i'd say Princess Jellyfish. I was drawn in by the intro, expecting it to be a lot more screwball than it ended up being. But after a few episodes, I really grew to love the characters, and I found the more down to earth approach appealing.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco really is one of the worst series I have ever seen. The first episodes were dull, they introduce tons of characters that don't get developed, the show is far more concerned with being shocking than making sense, and the writing is just horrible in general. spoiler["Hey, Mr. Producer, how about you tell me where that girl is so I can torture her." "No, never." "But it would be super entertaining." "Wait, really? Sure then!" ]

I get watching things because they're ridiculous, but this felt more like watching a middle school play.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

I get watching things because they're ridiculous, but this felt more like watching a middle school play.

Nah, that'd be the idol ones. Laughing

(No really, have ya seen typical dance move sets? It's what you'd normally only see in middle school plays that people only attend since their relatives are in it. Yes, I've been to more than a few, why dya ask......)
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Thank you, thank you, THANK you for pointing out Samurai Flamenco. I'd totally missed this show when it first rolled around - and now I just wasted all of Thursday powering through the series (with 2 episodes left, while I take a break).

Goddamned genius! Seriously good - and made even better not knowing anything that was coming down the pike at me. Now to go check out those other two series and see if I can capture lightning in a bottle again.

(So, when is the Samurai Flamenco DVD coming out?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4