• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scarlett Johansson: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Begins Filming in Early 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
ragz wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
Why does Hollywood keep casting the wrong people?

ScarJo is least of my worries with Hollywood GiTS for me... Better / worse than Arise?

To keep certain things ambiguous. It's her stance on a certain issue that makes her detestable. I won't support anything that b*tch is a part of.
Cthulolita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'm so curious as to what you're referring to. I'm not a ScarJo fan, by any means, but...what?

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. -TK]
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
@ the-antihero Does it involve the Israel-Palestine issue?

To keep this on topic, I am more concerned about Sanders as the director than Johansson as the Major. So yeah, the movie is likely to suck.
Cthulolita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
@ the-antihero Does it involve the Israel-Palestine issue?

To keep this on topic, I am more concerned about Sanders as the director than Johansson as the Major. So yeah, the movie is likely to suck.

Yeah, my expectations are low when it comes to Sanders alone lol.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
If you remember that Ghost in the Shell is actually rip-off of Blade Runner ...

Japanese cyberpunk, including Ghost in the Shell, is a rip-off, if you want to call it that, of Neuromancer. Cyberpunk was enthusiastically embraced by the Japanese apparently for no other reason than William Gibson set a great deal of Neuromancer in Japan.

I think whether the movie adaptation of GitS is any good depends more on the screenwriter and the director than the actors. Actors, in the words of Hitchcock, are just cattle.

Afterthought:
Lucy was a stupid movie because it was a stupid movie. It would have been just as stupid no matter who had played the title role.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (my favourite novel) is from 1968 so Mr.Gibson can´t win the cyber race and http://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-Vol/dp/1608865002 which is a very nice word for word adaptation.

Motoko could have been cast with a young Sigourney Weaver and the movie still would be destined to turn into whitewashed PG13 nonsense. Why? Because even the best actors need direction. Especial if 90% of the movie will be filmed in front of green screen so kiss this one good night and just be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be worth it´s nanomachines.
Rupert Sanders + Avi Arad (leave MGS alone) are frankly the problem besides my glaring script issues but "Mr. Huntsman"´s Halo add is nice i will admit. It even won 2 Golden Lions at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Dc2At5_AE
The movie could also die next week. Again...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
If your problem with a live-action GitS movie is the casting of ScarJo as the Major, you've missed the forest for the trees.

First of all, ScarJo, while not the greatest actress, is good enough to play Kusanagi. I don't get this whole "she's a bad actress" thing. Where has she been a bad actress? She's been in bad movies, sure, but that's mostly because of bad scripts.

As for "white washing", give me a f***ing break. The Major has an artificial body, it can look like anything. Your opinion is irrelevant if you think it's at all "racist". I can imagine race means very little in the GitS world where you can just upload your mind into pretty much anything. You can be black, white, Asian, or a damn talking suitcase like that one guy in SAC. Is it a shame we don't see more Asian leads in Hollywood movies? Yeah. But pick your battles better.

Second, the problem is, and was always going to be, the writing. Who's ever even heard of this guy writing this? He's never handled a major franchise like GitS, what assurances do we have he's even that interested in writing for these characters and premises?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
I feel like alot is gonna depend on what kind of rating they aim for. Granted, GitS was never the most mature anime ever, but if they try to tie their hands by aiming for a PG-13 rating, there's no way it's gonna turn out well.

As children can be brought into any movie up to R as long as an adult is with them, the only rating Hollywood really needs to avoid is NC-17, as it means it can't be advertised in public and can only be shown in theaters that permit NC-17 movies. (That being said, sometimes, the NC-17 rating is thrown out by the MPAA to flex its power, as is what happened to This Film Is Not Yet Rated. This almost never happens, so there's no need to worry about that.)

The G-rating is another one Hollywood wants to avoid, though for different reasons and not relevant to this discussion.

Kadmos1 wrote:
A big question is what does Shirow Masamune think of it when it gets released. I think the creators and rights holders opinions of a film might trump the opinions of the audience.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean who speaks louder in public? Or do you mean who gets the final say in the direction the movie will take? Or do you mean something else entirely?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't get this whole "she's a bad actress" thing. Where has she been a bad actress? She's been in bad movies, sure, but that's mostly because of bad scripts.

This is a case of miscasting due to incompatibility rather than a lack of acting ability. She's a decent actress, and she has A-list appeal, but she completely lacks the gravitas to play someone with as much presence as The Major.

If she nails the role then I'll happily eat my words. But I don't believe it'll happen.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Second, the problem is, and was always going to be, the writing. Who's ever even heard of this guy writing this? He's never handled a major franchise like GitS, what assurances do we have he's even that interested in writing for these characters and premises?
The problem is that writers in Hollywood can and are frequently hired based on the strength of screenplays that will never see the light of day. Since they remain unknowns to the outside world unless they work on something that turns out big and enough's kept that they get credited, there's little way for us to know if he's a talentless hack or a secret genius.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I need a five minute trailer for me to even think about watching this live-action GitS adaptation.

Hollywood, please don't ruin this movie.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

This is a case of miscasting due to incompatibility rather than a lack of acting ability. She's a decent actress, and she has A-list appeal, but she completely lacks the gravitas to play someone with as much presence as The Major.

If she nails the role then I'll happily eat my words. But I don't believe it'll happen.

Kusanagi is largely emotionless and monotone. Johansson will be fine.

If the movie is only 1/5th as dull as your average recent Ghost in the Shell project I'll be at least kinda entertained by it. That franchise hasn't been exciting or fresh in years.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kusanagi is largely emotionless and monotone.

Motoko has always possessed a wry sense of humour, even right from the first movie in 1995 when she jokes (in the original Japanese) that the signal noise in her uplink must be due to "that time of the month". She's not above teasing people either, as seen in this clip. The idea that she's emotionless is absurd and simply not supported the evidence.

I'm a huge fan of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's performance in SAC. Motoko may speak very evenly and rarely raises her voice, but McGlynn uses all kind of subtle inflections; monotone it is not. I could listen to her talk for hours on the likelihood of the derivatives market crashing and I still wouldn't get bored of her.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
I don't know about this. I have a strong feeling this is gonna end-up either as a Matrix-lite or a generic sci-fi action flick. Too bad, I would have a lot more confidence in this movie if Spielberg or the Wachowskis were directing it instead.

@Moroboshi-san, did you watch the same GITS as I did? There was more material adapted from the manga for SAC than the movies. And there are many political themes in GITS. SAC especially, touches on issues of immigration, geopolitics, terrorism, war, etc. As for GITS being a rip-off of Blade Runner, I'll assume that's a joke Confused

dtm42 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Kusanagi is largely emotionless and monotone.

Motoko has always possessed a wry sense of humour, even right from the first movie in 1995 when she jokes (in the original Japanese) that the signal noise in her uplink must be due to "that time of the month". She's not above teasing people either, as seen in this clip.The idea that she's emotionless is absurd and simply not supported the evidence.

Finally, I'm glad someone brought this up. The whole stereotype of Motoko being emotionless usually comes from people who've only watched the movies. In the manga, SAC, and even Arise(!), Motoko and the rest of the Section 9 crew have much more personality. And believe it or not, there are some shockingly emotional and funny moments in the non-movie incarnations. As groundbreaking as the original GITS movie was, it's a shame most people assume the rest of franchise follows the same tone.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
Yep. Motoko is only a doll in the 2 movies an nowhere else. Actually not even there.
What is wrong with Arise tough? It´s just SAC with a stronger anti-terror/crime focus.

Here is the script "writer": http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0923980/ Shocked
The casting of Johansson is the one acceptable-ish thing about the movie up to this point and Ken Watanabe will probably show up too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5