• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dance with Devils

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, I get what you mean, it is not entirely unreasonable to want to lock the house and keep the demons outside (a terrible lock-up, given how easily she ran away). At the end of the episode he actually accepts to let Ritsuka go back to school, so I'm definitely not saying it's the same level of creep in Amnesia, but it's sort of getting there really fast, especially with the brother having romantic feelings for his sister (even if I also agree it'll most likely turn out he's not her biological brother)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
Actually, at this point I predict she's going to end up with Rem, who will be so charmed by her he turns his back on his evil demon ways and take her side. Against Lindo.

As I said in the anime discussion thread, I think Lindo's going to turn out to be evil, and the ending line in this episode kind of suggests that's going to be the case. Although right now it's looking like maybe things will be a bit more complicated than just duplicity, at least for Lindo and Rem.

Long story short - I think you're getting a creepy vibe from Lindo for a reason. (Is his name Lind or Lindo? I've seen it both ways, and can't really go by what they're saying since they'll say Lindo even if his name is just Lind)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
The subtitles changed from "Lind" to "Lindo" between episodes two and three, so I'm guessing "Lindo" is the preferred spelling, at least as far as Funi and the original creators are concerned. Personally, I keep thinking of him as "Lindy," because I have issues. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, at this point I predict she's going to end up with Rem, who will be so charmed her he turns his back on his evil demon ways and take her side.

This is what I imagine will happen too, minus Lindo being evil. I can see it happen, but I'm not certain it will. I'm also not sure if she will "officially" choose Rem, since most reverse harems rarely have the heroine actually choosing just one of her suitors.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
How do you interpret the Lacy Mask guy wondering "Why would you..."? It doesn't make much sense that he's questioning why he'd protect his sister. Unless! he's secretly been working for the dark side too (which is what I meant by saying he might be evil), and is betraying them to protect her. Priests aren't known for drawing magic circles.

I kind of had the feeling that Lindo and Rem had met prior to the gate scene. So maybe he's been in league with the faction of evil that's been opposing Rem's group. I feel like we haven't actually met any light side guys yet (maybe the priest who gave him the ring). Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I actually sorta liked episode 5, it was nice seeing Ritsuka actively running for her life and having some sort of agency in this whole thing. And the sunset beach scene was actually pretty cute. I'm still miffed by how much Ritsuka trusts Rem, when Mage is telling her that he's as shitty as the rest of them, she's too hard in denial even though she's spoken to the guy like three times. Of course, there's no doubt at this point that he'll have some sort of turnaround and defy his demon allies for her, but there's no way for her to know that because she hasn't seen all his brooding and rumination. It's a little hard to buy how quickly she's fallen for him
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Quote:
whenever a guy refers to himself as “ore-sama,” you have to worry

LOL, too true! The other lol moment was purple-hair guy overcombing the dog's fur to stuff a teddy bear with, while the dog chewed on his head.

Quote:
...if [Azuna]'s even human. Could she be an angel to the devils? A familiar Lindo asked/ordered to befriend Ritsuka so that he could have eyes on her at all times?

Funny you should say that. During the fight with Rem, I was wondering almost the same thing about Lindo. There was something in the robotic way he said he must protect her that made me think he might be a summoned spirit or golem created by the presumed-dead aunt to protect her (that wouldn't explain Lacy Mask guy's question though). If so and he's fallen in love with her, he can't really be faulted for mistaking his directive and raison d'etre for love and being a little obsessive. Still creepy. Smile Maybe Azuna is the aunt traveling under a youthful glamour to keep an eye on both Lindo and Ritsuka.

Also, he's still wearing the shirt despite the uniform requirements. Even Mage's clothes acknowledge the school's various uniform styles, but Lindo's still in his crazy shirt and weird jacket with the white gore pleats (I don't know what they're called over the shoulders like that).

Ritsuka did redeem herself a bit this week. I thought for sure she was going to stick around to watch the fight, so I almost cheered when she actually took the chance to run away! However, not once did she ask, "Where are we?" when I would have been asking that a half dozen times over the course of the evening. And I really wanted her to ask, because I wanted to know too.

I very much enjoyed Mage's song this week. We finally got some ending lyrics - are they singing "Dance with devils right now" in backwards Japanese?? oO
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
^I thought they stuck the wrong subs on the ending song!

This episode was hysterically funny. That was the worst song yet, and stood by itself in this episode in all its terrible glory. Mage has my vote to win for his over the top posturing.

I'm guessing Lindo is some half-vampire foundling raised with Ritsuka and trained to control his impulses. I doubt they're even related. But I don't know that he's evil.

I too was happy to see our heroine run when she had the chance. I think that she too was stunned by Mage in all his glory haha, but she managed to pull it together long enough to take some initiative.

The Pomeranian fur, lol...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Quote:
I also briefly wondered if Lindo is the grimoire.

I think it is more likely that Ritsuka is, or contains the grimoire. Keep in mind that Lindo was out of the country. If you have devils in Japan looking for a grimoire, the last thing you would want to do is bring it back to them. Of course that implies logic which is not noticeably present.

A grimoire is traditionally a locked book. Mage has already speculated that Ritsuka is the "key" to the grimoire. Given the sexual symbolism of a lock and key, it is more likely that Ritsuka is the "lock" and that each of the five guys already possesses their own "key". I'm not sure how they would portray this in the anime though. If they have to "unlock" the grimoire every time they want to use it, Ritsuka could be in for quite a time of it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
^ It was actually the locked element of grimoires that had me wondering about Lindo - he seems like he's hiding something beneath the surface, and the flash of red eyes made me think maybe that something was less hidden and more repressed, or locked, away.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
@Princess_Irene

I can see that. Lindo is clearly not what he seems.

I approached this from the viewpoint that this all seems to be revolving around the protection of Ritsuka. Not just Lindo, but the mother and the school friend as well. That made me think that she was or had within her what everyone was looking for, the grimoire. Of course that may be just a reflection of her being the main character. Once it occurred to me that she had the grimoire, the sexual imagery followed. I think it appropriate to the mood of the show if rendered symbolically enough.

It will be interesting to see where they take this.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Pfff, Mage for the win! The other guys will have to try very hard to be half as entertaining. I chuckled all the way through this ep. at his overwhelming...manliness, that song was hilarious and then the blushing, awww... Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If they have to "unlock" the grimoire every time they want to use it, Ritsuka could be in for quite a time of it.

I'm not sure if you mean that in a good way or a yikes way. Shocked
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

I sincerely hope that if this comes to pass she will enjoy the process. It would certainly put some meaning in the idea of "Let's make some magic tonight, dear".
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder to what degree the writers of Dance With Devils are in on the joke. On the one hand, the story seems to play itself straight, and there don't seem to be any winks at the camera. On the other hand, the story is often over-the-top in silly ways. Are we laughing at the show or with it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8