• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Zac wrote:

spoiler[You made me nervous so I just double-checked and Rei is specifically not shown picking it up. She looks at it - next shot is the horizon. If she had picked it up that would change the meaning of the ending a bit thematically and I'd need to rework that conclusion!]

spoiler[No worries! :3

It's been two years since I've seen 3.0 so it's clearly out of date. I thought after Asuka started dragging Shinji, Rei looked down and grabbed the player. Not only would it devalue the overall theme but, it wouldn't make sense. 3.0 Rei doesn't know the value of Shinji/Gendo's player. Most likely, as you said, she just glanced at it.]

Wait, but isn't she the one that kept it safe for him through out the 14 years he was out and then returned it to him once again in this film?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I really don't feel I can pass a final judgement on this film until I see the next one. If 4.0 delivers then this will have been a good set up, but if 4.0 is bad then so will this film.

I'm assuming a lot of problems were likely caused by the complete redo of the script. I'm sure we all remember the trailer at the end of 2.0 and how it's completely different from the final movie.

And it does feel like we're missing another film. It's specifically mentioned that the end of 2.0 was "near 3rd Impact" which was stopped by Kaworu. The real 3rd Impact apparently happened after that with Lilith and the lances and such. It never really gets elaborated on.

I have to disagree a bit with Zac's assessment of Shinji. At the end of 2.0 Shinji finally takes things into his own hands and fights to save Rei not because some one told him to, but because he wanted to. By that point he did have some confidence and when the need arises at that start of this film he tells Misato he'll head out in Unit 1. Unfortunately him acting on his wants almost caused the end of the world and that kicked him right back down the depression spiral. His desperate need to fix things also has bad consequences at the end. We'll have to see if he has any sort of will to live in 4.0.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Wait, but isn't she the one that kept it safe for him through out the 14 years he was out and then returned it to him once again in this film?

No, the original Rei had it with her when Zeruel ate her and Shinji got it back when she got taken into Unit 1.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I kinda enjoyed the film but felt the first two were far superior. Asuka felt so meanspirited in the beginning she felt unlikable. Also Misato... what the heck happened to her? Crying or Very sad Rei.... spoiler[Is she another one? Did Shinji really save her?] Meanwhile, Kaworu was quite refreshing since we barely got to see him in the 90s anime whereas Sadamoto's version of him was quite different. Here he seemed the more likable character as he didn't blame Shinji or something like that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Rei.... spoiler[Is she another one? Did Shinji really save her?]

spoiler[Well, sorta. She's now stuck inside Unit 1 instead of Zeruel. The Rei seen in this film is another clone.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the very end of this film, Shinji has survived something that breaks a whole lot of people who struggle with severe depression: a codependent relationship.

And with that, I threw up a little in my mouth.

Hey, remember giant mechs punching giant things? Remember the first reboot movie where Shinji reached out towards Rei, doing the one thing that separates him from the TV series, namely "something"? Remember the second movie where...

Ok, I don't remember the second one.

"One man's depression is another man's entertainment." No, no it is not. I just kept reading this review, wondering where the review was. What happened, not to the movie but the review? This is a mess.

I still stand by my original impression: The whole franchsie should have ended with Shinji surround by his associates, basking in their applause. Because warmth and love, especially if it's faked by someone you just meet... is nothing compared to being actually appreciated by the people you know.

Or something. Like I said, I'm just here for giant mechs.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Asuka felt so meanspirited in the beginning she felt unlikable. Also Misato... what the heck happened to her?

The Apocalypse and 14 years of conflict will give most people a sour outlook on life.

This is part of the reason why Sakura is given a presence as she is the only one that thinks that Shinji can be redeemed as Tohji must have at least painted Shinji as the "hero of Tokyo-03", most of the other WILLE staff if they don't want to kill Shinji would at least want to beat him to an inch of his life.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or something. Like I said, I'm just here for giant mechs.

Then you should have turned the other way a LONG time ago as far as EVA was concerned.

This is a show that even in its original series run resorted to a long "elevator shot" just to save budget and the excuse could be "to create atmosphere".

Eva might of had a few "good Kaiju fights" but at the end of the day the narrative was about Shinji love him or hate him.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Great review. While I think of the movie a great deal higher (personally, I think it's one of the only good anime movies to come out in the last good while, and somewhat of a minor masterpiece,) your review helped me understand some of the big criticisms behind it.

Stellar writing as always, Zac.
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I really like this review. acknowledging why people tend to have a negative reaction to the film while also engaging with it on its terms and trying to say exactly why it is what it is. It took me a solid couple years to get over my initial reaction to it, but at some point I realized that I really love this film, for pretty much all the reasons listed here. 2.22 feels a bit shallow in comparison.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Asuka felt so meanspirited in the beginning she felt unlikable. Also Misato... what the heck happened to her?

The Apocalypse and 14 years of conflict will give most people a sour outlook on life.

We don't see any of that (14 years of conflict, the schism in NERV, the building of Wille). It's what makes this whole 14 year timeskip meaningless from a narrative perspective. As someone else said you just as easily set the third film 2 months after the end of 2.22 and it wouldn't have changed one damn thing.

Quote:

This is part of the reason why Sakura is given a presence as she is the only one that thinks that Shinji can be redeemed as Tohji must have at least painted Shinji as the "hero of Tokyo-03", most of the other WILLE staff if they don't want to kill Shinji would at least want to beat him to an inch of his life.

Sakura, what does she know ? If some people think that Shinji can be redemeed it has to be the damned adults. Misato, Ritsuko, Zombie Asuka etc... People that were actually there when third impact happened and that knew Shinji way better than Sakura ever did.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The movie is borderline misogynistic, by the way. All the important female characters from the first two movies are treated as mere decoration here, with no character arcs at all, and are presented as empty shells or outright antagonistic, and their only motivation is "react to Shinji". The only thing really preventing it being outright misogynistic, or at least sexist, is that most of the male characters don't have character arcs, either. Arguably nobody but Shinji does, and it's just a repeat arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We don't see any of that (14 years of conflict, the schism in NERV, the building of Wille). It's what makes this whole 14 year timeskip meaningless from a narrative perspective. As someone else said you just as easily set the third film 2 months after the end of 2.22 and it wouldn't have changed one damn thing.

The time skip is done more so for "artistic" reasoning than it is about narrative.
Upon original theatrical release of the movie, 2012, it was 2 years before the "beginning" of the original series takes place.
Eva was supposed to always take place "in the not too distant future", at the very least starting with the next generation as the focus.

As I have said before, the Rebuild movies have been focusing on Shinji's experience as the primary focus in place of where the original series had Misato act as the other side of the narrative coin as being the adult that tries to investigate what "really happened during second impact".
I bring this up because in effect a third movie showing of the events would have needed to be a Misato focused flick, I blaim the creator for not having faith with an adult female lead and wanting to always focus on the "romance of the skintight suit wearing teen characters".

So I suppose when we really think about it, Evangelion has always been a mopey teen romance with Giant Kaiju fights in place of Vampires.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

The time skip is done more so for "artistic" reasoning than it is about narrative.
Upon original theatrical release of the movie, 2012, it was 2 years before the "beginning" of the original series takes place.
Eva was supposed to always take place "in the not too distant future", at the very least starting with the next generation as the focus.

A change that changes nothing what is its artistic value ? Had the characters (Asuka, Shinji, Mari) ended up 14 years older I would have subscribed to your view all other things being equal. But when even the main characters act and look like 14 year olds (when they should be 28 year olds) what is point, from a narrative or artistic perspective of this timeskip ? None at all.

Quote:

As I have said before, the Rebuild movies have been focusing on Shinji's experience as the primary focus in place of where the original series had Misato act as the other side of the narrative coin as being the adult that tries to investigate what "really happened during second impact".
I bring this up because in effect a third movie showing of the events would have needed to be a Misato focused flick, I blaim the creator for not having faith with an adult female lead and wanting to always focus on the "romance of the skintight suit wearing teen characters".

So I suppose when we really think about it, Evangelion has always been a mopey teen romance with Giant Kaiju fights in place of Vampires.

No, Evangelion has never been about a mopey teen romance. Evangelion at its heart is about two things : a fight for the survival of one of the two strands of humanity and the coming of age of a teenager named Shinji. The two things are related. When we have to discuss Evanglion forget about any supplementary material that is extraneous to the tv/film series and remember that religious symbolism in the tv series/films is void. The author himself said it. It's a very simple storyline and all that Shinji does at end is to decide wether to accept becoming an adult. A person that accepts the pros and cons of being an individual. A child while physically an individual is still very strongly linked emotionally speaking/mentally to his parents, and to his mother in particular. So he is not yet a fully formed individual. The destruction of the At-field (that which makes individuality possible) and the third impact is all about that. A regression to a child like state (Gendo is no different from Shinji in this perspective. They want the same thing for different reasons). When Shinji mans up third impact is stopped. And while we don't see it in the tv series proper because it ends abruptly while we're in the mind of the main character we do see it in the renewal films.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The movie is borderline misogynistic, by the way. All the important female characters from the first two movies are treated as mere decoration here, with no character arcs at all, and are presented as empty shells or outright antagonistic, and their only motivation is "react to Shinji". The only thing really preventing it being outright misogynistic, or at least sexist, is that most of the male characters don't have character arcs, either. Arguably nobody but Shinji does, and it's just a repeat arc.

You can say the same exact thing about the latter half of End of Evangelion. Heck, most of Misato's character arc in the original series could be interpreted as pretty awful from a feminist perspective, if you really wanted to go down that path.

If you did that, though, you'd be taking an isolated element - in this case, part three of a four part movie series that is meant to be interpreted not just as a series of four films, but also as a response to the original series - and assuming that it's misogynistic or sexist without looking at all of the other elements of the narrative.

That would be like watching the first episode of Utena, deciding that Anthy is a classic "damsel in distress" character who gets abused in order to spur the protagonist into action, and concluding that the show is just another run-of-the-mill chauvinistic depiction of women as fragile creatures whose problems need to be solved by a sword-wielding masculine savior figure.

It's okay to have an individual installment of a franchise that focuses on particular characters over others, and if those characters happen to be male, that doesn't automatically make it a misogynistic or sexist piece of media.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
Also, I've always liked the dub for this series it's probably the only Anime I prefer the dub over the sub. I've always liked Spike Spencer as Shinji he captures the woundedness and the self-loathing of Shinji quite well in my honest opinion

I agree. The dub for this film, for me at least, gave a bit more life to what I originally considered a pretty empty film.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers the dub. I really like Shinji's dub voice. It fits him well and there's a sort of awkwardness to it that adds to his character.

Edit: I really liked your review Zac. It was really interesting and I think it was needed to be said. I don't understand some of the psychological aspects of Eva, but I do realize how important this film is. It isn't the strongest out of the three, but it definitely has a lot of strong points that we shouldn't ignore. Thanks for that!

Last edited by KENZICHI on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6