• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Terror in Resonance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
So is Terror in Resonance just going to be one of those: critics love it, audience don't?

No, not really. It's actually more the opposite. It has been pretty well accepted among casual anime fans(MAL figures), while most critics aren't liking it so much. ANN's userbase is more representative of a critical viewpoint than that of the larger fandom anyway, so something not getting love here is more likely a sign that it's NOT a critical darling. As to why Nick and James like it? They are pretty much just outliers, I guess

Well, the average rating on ANN is very good, so i don't think the show is "universally hated" by ANN's userbase, just by a couple of very vocal forum members. Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa, holy smokes, that's quite a collection you have. It would have to be impressive since you've been amassing all that since 2002. All the hats off to you. :D

C³ certainly had an interesting preview back in 2011, and people could probably have easily thought it was for some kind of action anime with a dark atmosphere at the time. I am curious about it though.

Those Who Hunt Elves, what a classic example of the good kind of fantasy anime nonsense. The English dub just goes and does its own thing at times, so should you plan on seeing this, keep in mind it won't obey the original script in many places. The dub's voice acting might not impress anyone since it's a product of its time though, so I imagine most people will switch to the Japanese version. XD
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
C³ certainly had an interesting preview back in 2011, and people could probably have easily thought it was for some kind of action anime with a dark atmosphere at the time. I am curious about it though.

I've never watched the anime, but I've read the novels. It does get dark and pretty gory at times, but it never really leaves any of the romcom aspects behind. They usually don't intersect though.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Terror in Resonance became a trainwreck by the end, and I'm totally baffled as to what people see in it. So good at the start, so wonky by the end.

I fully agree. It had such promise but ended up feeling like they had no real ending and just wrote something the week each of the last few episodes aired.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
It's just a good thing I can sustain myself on cat cuddles and love instead of food, lol. Butters is my absolute favorite thing in the whole world.

Well this comes as little surprise, save for your claimed exemption from standard calorific requirements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I almost don't know what Mr. Beckett is on about in his practically glowing review (it wasn't that good a show), and it seems about everybody misses the fact that 9 and 12 aren't terrorists at all. No surprise then that they don't act like it, their mission is to expose a faction in the government that has spoiler[made an atomic weapon] and appeal to public fear of such a weapon to counter said faction's plans for re-establishing Imperial Japan. It is the politically aligned media that brands them "terrorists", but they know that if someone dies, the name will stick and their appeal will fail. Where the writing/story concept fails with me is the proposition that 9 and 12 apparently think staging ever larger bombings of public areas will excite resonance of fear when the spoiler[atomic bomb is detonated] causing the public to "rout out" the faction. Sadly, everything about the show was subservient to that failure of a concept and with misdirection of the audience's attention with the Sphinx/PD interaction and 5's appearance, without proper character development, rightly leaves the viewers disappointed and maybe a little confused.

Again, Patlabor 2 did this better with the feint terrorist attacks that caused martial law to be implemented while ZnT's attacks only just happened to not kill people because that's what the plot demands. It was completely impossible to suspend my disbelief and enjoy because I had this annoying bright flaw just blinding me from episode 2 onward. Every second I'm just reminded of how this "super serious Watanabe/Kanno anime about imperial warmongering and disaffected youth" turns out to be really goddamn stupid. They're definitely terrorists, just ones who live in a universe where explosions and EMPs don't kill people. That's not this world, that message doesn't work, the anime's central theme is lost. Pretty Ferris Wheels and Motorcycles aren't saving a pile of shit.

I also found Kanno's music choices to be uninspired.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

It's partially that, but it won't impress fans of dark/action anime with its considerable amount of harem/romcom antics that include some quantity of loli elements. Not to mention, it's one of your standard 600-minute LN commercials, capped off with a monumental "way to just stand there and let the villains slowly escape" moment at the end.

Quote:
Those Who Hunt Elves, what a classic example of the good kind of fantasy anime nonsense. The English dub just goes and does its own thing at times, so should you plan on seeing this, keep in mind it won't obey the original script in many places. The dub's voice acting might not impress anyone since it's a product of its time though, so I imagine most people will switch to the Japanese version. Anime hyper
One could think of Those Who Hunt Elves as a story of 3 dubs and 3 different directors. Eps 1-6 directed by Tristan MacAvery were somewhat liberal, perhaps in the way that many of ADV's VHS-era "no one's going to have both versions to check fidelity" dubs were. Steven Foster ramped things up dramatically in eps 7-12 with more profanity, sex jokes, and random-now-horribly-dated American pop culture references. Eps 13-24 were directed by Janice Williams several years later, and were far more faithful to the Japanese script than the first half's dub was.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I've never watched the anime, but I've read the novels. It does get dark and pretty gory at times, but it never really leaves any of the romcom aspects behind. They usually don't intersect though.

Ah I see. I imagine blending those together would be off-putting.

Zalis116 wrote:
It's partially that, but it won't impress fans of dark/action anime with its considerable amount of harem/romcom antics that include some quantity of loli elements. Not to mention, it's one of your standard 600-minute LN commercials, capped off with a monumental "way to just stand there and let the villains slowly escape" moment at the end.

Is it still worth a watch?

Quote:
One could think of Those Who Hunt Elves as a story of 3 dubs and 3 different directors. Eps 1-6 directed by Tristan MacAvery were somewhat liberal, perhaps in the way that many of ADV's VHS-era "no one's going to have both versions to check fidelity" dubs were. Steven Foster ramped things up dramatically in eps 7-12 with more profanity, sex jokes, and random-now-horribly-dated American pop culture references. Eps 13-24 were directed by Janice Williams several years later, and were far more faithful to the Japanese script than the first half's dub was.

It has been a while since I've seen it, so I was not aware the dub became more accurate after 7-12 (kind of stuck to Japanese voices after a while into it). Thanks for the info, Zalis. I need to dig out my box and hear this for myself.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Again, Patlabor 2 did this better with the feint terrorist attacks that caused martial law to be implemented while ZnT's attacks only just happened to not kill people because that's what the plot demands. It was completely impossible to suspend my disbelief and enjoy because I had this annoying bright flaw just blinding me from episode 2 onward. Every second I'm just reminded of how this "super serious Watanabe/Kanno anime about imperial warmongering and disaffected youth" turns out to be really goddamn stupid. They're definitely terrorists, just ones who live in a universe where explosions and EMPs don't kill people. That's not this world, that message doesn't work, the anime's central theme is lost. Pretty Ferris Wheels and Motorcycles aren't saving a pile of shit.

I also found Kanno's music choices to be uninspired.

Love Patlabor 2. Also, I'm not the world's biggest Yoko Kanno fan; I do like the Maaya Sakamoto songs for which she composed the music. Cowboy Bebop is the only Watanabe anime I've seen and actually like enough to own; Space Dandy never clicked with me, despite the considerable talent on display. Note: haven't watched Macross Plus yet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I like Kanno's work too, but I was referring to her selection specifically for this show. Funny that you bring up Macross Plus, because I'm rewatching that currently, and I'm noticing how much more her effort make a difference when you have characters and a plot worth caring about, and it's Macross, so she's able to let loose.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Love Patlabor 2. Also, I'm not the world's biggest Yoko Kanno fan; I do like the Maaya Sakamoto songs for which she composed the music. Cowboy Bebop is the only Watanabe anime I've seen and actually like enough to own; Space Dandy never clicked with me, despite the considerable talent on display. Note: haven't watched Macross Plus yet.

It might be worth your time to check out Kids On The Slope. He directed it, but it is not nearly as much a "Watanabe" show as the others. Personally, it's my favorite of his directorial works.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It might be worth your time to check out Kids On The Slope. He directed it, but it is not nearly as much a "Watanabe" show as the others. Personally, it's my favorite of his directorial works.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Yeah, having that much physical manga is not easy, I dread moving. I'm actually having to sell some things, I really want/need the space and am just plain done with some things (I have a thread over on the sales page, most of the stuff I wanna sell is up on eBay, but I always cut better deals on here, no eBay fees or whatnot)

I made the mistake of looking through your sales before having to forcefully remind myself that I'm moving in a few months. The struggle is too real! I've got 4 large bookcases and one smaller one that are all stuffed right now, with a bunch of manga starting to get stacked up since I've run out of space in the shelves...moving is going to be so awful. But once I move I can finally buy myself some nice new shelves for my manga and for my figures that are all currently boxed away (fingers crossed for glass cases...)

I just moved. It was a pain and I ended up going the custom shelves route to keep all my crap off the floor. Zawa, your manga collection is awesome. I have a comics/media shop about forty minutes away that I visit just about every week that has some really great stuff. Shopping smart online can be a lot of fun. I rarely pay full price unless it is a limited release. Rightstuf! holiday sale is epic. Thanks for sharing.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Terror in Resonance became a trainwreck by the end, and I'm totally baffled as to what people see in it. So good at the start, so wonky by the end.
==========

On a different note, Shelf Life seems a little barren with only one review per week.

Agreed, on both counts. I was surprised that Terror got a Shelf Worthy rating...more so that the review stated that it is a must own series...

Can't agree with every review...

Also, I must get my hands on the Waiting in the Summer BD! I've never double dipped on a show, I own it on DVD, but I want the BD due to the OVA that is included with this release!

classicalzawa wrote:
As for how much of it is unread, yeah, I'm working on it.

I feel your pain. Some of mine is self-inflicted, like waiting until all the Tsubasa omnis are released before reading them. But, a lot of it is buying stuff that doesn't get touched for awhile. Though, most of my backlog are comics and novels, very little manga.

Zalis116 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Yep, I liked the show, but can say the ending left me very disappointed. I still think it is one of the better action/harem anime I've seen.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Funnily enough I think Kids on the Slope is the show that Watanabe contributed the least. It's really is pretty much a very straightforward and not particularly creative retelling of the manga (down to the jazz music used... I've seen people praising Watanabe for his awesome taste in music in this show, but actually he just followed the manga), and Watanabe's talents were, I think, mostly used to hold the story together as they cut and streamlined the source material in order to fit into 12 episodes. Directing-wise it was a surprisingly soulless affair, saved by the great voice acting and the genuinely good story... I remember reading an interview with Watanabe (at ANN, I think) where he seems to have implied that he did Kids on the Slope because it was some kind of contractual obligation for him in order to get Zankyou no Terror greenlighted.

As for Zankyou no Terror, I'm also really wondering what's with the sudden love for it here at ANN, and I really can't help to conclude that had it been any other director than Watanabe it wouldn't receive so much praise. To me this show was one of the biggest wastes of money and talent I've seen recently. Sure, it looked and sounded absolutely beautiful, but everything else about it failed, from the central concept to the characters and the actual story.

It was pretentious while at the same time not having the intelligence, depth or maturity to back it up. The characters were a joke - 9 and 12 could've been good but the story didn't really go anywhere interesting with them; Lisa was barely more than a non-entity and scenes like "she wants to cook for the boys because she's a girl, but she can't cook and burns the food and it's a disaster, hahaha" didn't help at all; 5 was a walking collection of anime antagonist clichés; and so on. The story was basically running on suspension of disbelief but in a way that one could just see the writers patting themselves on the back and thinking they were really smart. And so on and so forth.

I'm really angry at this show, because it could've been so good and then it turned into one of the biggest failures I've seen. I wouldn't mind if a show I'm not really having high expectations about fails, but Zankyou no Terror was a shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4