• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
omoikane wrote:
As someone who spent a lot on mobage the past couple years it's a little concerning that this item doesn't show up at all in the survey beyond "casual" as a video game category. I mean, it's already the [s]future[/s]reality of electronic gaming in the East, there are anime studios created to make shows based on these properties, and it's just going to get more and more prolific because how lucrative it is. Guess that gap is just going to get wider between the east and west.

I don't think mobage is a genre.

You have RPG mobage, action-adventure mobage, puzzle mobage, casual mobage, etc...

However, you did make me think that I should have split a few of the questions up into computer/console/mobile.

I've added 2 question to the survey (25 & 26), but next year I'll ask a few more about this. You can go back and answer these if you want.

(I can add questions to the survey with no harm. But adding answers to a question is bad for the stats).

The problem is people don't purchase F2P games. I downloaded half a dozen games just last month to try them out on my phone, does that count as purchasing them? I think the last 3 "normal" games I bought I didn't even open the shrinkwrap on those...

Also popular game bundles fall into a similar grey area. If I pay $5 and buy one of those games bundles with 12 games in it, but only did so because I only want 2 of them, did I just buy 12 games? or just 2?
lys

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
configspace wrote:
For The Japanese language...
I think you should also have a choice of "have studied it formally in the past"

Yep, that would also be the appropriate option for me (and probably several other people). I seem to recall having this same thought the last time ANN had a poll like this...

I answered that I'm studying it on my own currently, but since my self-study is building on two years of college Japanese classes in the past, it's good deal different than my pre-college self-study (which consisted of checking out Japanese dictionaries from the library, learning random kanji related to Sailormoon, inspecting flipped manga in a mirror to painstakingly identify the hiragana/katakana sfx... ahahaha).
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Given that the survey asks about Japanese ability, it's interesting that English and Japanese-language consumption aren't separated at all.

While I understand you're focusing on the English-speaking region industries, the questions on anime and manga purchases seem to preclude talking about licensers vs the original publishers. I buy the most anime Blu-rays from Amazon.jp, but this wasn't an option for "What is your favorite online place to buy anime?".

Similarly, reading manga "the old fashioned way" seems to roll English (or other)-language and Japanese-language books together, and "Via a website (legal)" would include Japanese web manga, but the illegal alternative is just "scanlations", not untranslated. To take an overcomplicated example, I missed the legal online option for YuruYuri (and J-Manga then folded), but I've read scanlations, have scanlated four chapters myself, have downloaded raws in the past and currently own the whole manga series published by Ichijinsha.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
Not a major issue but I was surprised music/rhythm game wasnt an option in game genres, especially given the massive popularity of Love Live both in and out of Japan. Project Diva is also one of my most played game series.

But I'm glad to see that the questions about living in Japan or going to Japan are expanded on. Last time I took it I lived there and yet there was no option for that.
garn13

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:27 am Reply with quote
I was surprised there wasn't a question on the preference of dubbed vs subbed. I would think it would be interesting to know the percentage of one to the other without getting into the silly debates over the topic.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
DOMEENAYTION wrote:
I think the hardest question for me was the open question about how many hours you play video games. They didn't specify what types and since they were talking about Android phones and the like, I didn't know if they counted Android games. Which I play everyday for hours. Especially the new Sailor Moon app and Unison League. So I think I would of liked it better if it was specified or have us answer options instead of being open.

I was thinking the same following omoikane's comment about mobile gaming. Next time I will split that question into several.

How many hours a week do you spend playing:
Console games
Portable console games
mobile games
PC games
Web games
Other electronic games

omoikane wrote:
The problem is people don't purchase F2P games. I downloaded half a dozen games just last month to try them out on my phone, does that count as purchasing them?

I'll consider adding a question about how many f2p games people download a year next time we do a survey about games.
Notquitesure

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Thoughts:
More art and more food.

Would love it if you guys could put comments directly under the article and please please use DISQUS, so I can throw my vitriol out into the world (just playing) would commented on more articles (thought I had an account turns out I didn't go figure) if comment section had been directly below article and... more disqus

And I don't know if you guys have done this but would like to see a series where you debunct stereotypes and stuff in anime ("Where did nosebleed come from?" "Where did this xyz trend in anime start?" stuff like that anime tropes we take for granted).

I'd like daily reviews to be added onto the initial reviews as extension. So if I wanted to come back to season and a year of anime I could look at all reviews easily. Also just one more thing I can't say for certainty what it is but I find I can't find what I'm looking for not sure exactly what I mean by that just that a thought.

p.s. I don't really like the idea of paying for a subsrciption for news site, the ads are good and relevant. I don't even mind filling out more surveys as long as it comes from a legit source and not 'virus-ey'.
also disqus
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
I wish ANN would make it possible to subscribe without creating a PayPal account. I'd gladly pay y'all even though I can block the ads. ANN is my primary source of anime news, and I use the encyclopedia/MyANN practically every day. Please add other options like Amazon or Stripe or Patreon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I wish ANN would make it possible to subscribe without creating a PayPal account.

I assume you know that you can pay by credit card through PayPal without creating a PayPal account, right ?

Anyways, we've run into a number of people who have said the same, so when the new subscription plans are finalized and put into effect, we'll make sure to make alternative payment methods available...
manapear

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
In regards to LN talk, news or whatever, I'm interested in it, but I notice it's always (straight) male-oriented stuff I see discussed and never shojo LNs. For a while, I didn't think they even existed. 0u0;;

If LNs come up more, I think it would be nice to focus on both/all, and if the shojo ones are mainly cell and not adapted/published, then any info on what they're like would be nice even.

As for everything else, I would love more info on Japanese cuisine (cooking, I hear the eating is so meh lol); I used to watch NHK when my mom had it, and I enjoyed the cooking show. The craft show in the morning was cool too, so craft stuff like that would be nice to hear about!

I think EGL news in Japan, but also in the West would be rather lovely. And info on doujin (artists, what's available at local and international cons, how to buy doujin legally, etc) would be really cool. ^u^

I also think I wanted to list Nozomi Ent as my favorite anime company, but I don't think it was on the list?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I assume you know that you can pay by credit card through PayPal without creating a PayPal account, right ?

One would assume that that would be possible, yes. However, no such option is offered on the PayPal form the button here links to.
I've had that problem with two other sites as well. Maybe PayPal doesn't understand that people can live on different sides of the planet?
Quote:
Anyways, we've run into a number of people who have said the same, so when the new subscription plans are finalized and put into effect, we'll make sure to make alternative payment methods available...

Yay! \o/
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I left quite a few blanks. For those sections where they say something like "which of the following are you even slightly interested in" - left em blank, all options did not interest me, at all. Don't quite get the difference between "no answer" and leaving it blank, whatever.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I wish there was an option regarding coverage of older anime/manga, as that tends to be my main interest.

I wasn't even aware ANN had a subscription service, and I had no clue what it was even for when the question was asking. Anyway, I see it's only three bucks, which is the value I listed. If that three bucks could get more podcasts (the Mike Toole Monthly, anyone?), I'd gladly subscribe.
Cosmos503
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I really miss the Stream. I get that one person can't watch everything, but it was really valuable in helping me find anime gems I may have initially passed over. Bamboo was great at summarizing the shows and pointing out the ones to try. The current format of episodes reviews I find myself only occasionally reading, only after I have watched the episode in question, and more as a self-validation that the show is good. Where-as I used "the stream" to find new shows to watch.
Maybe if you did a follow-up half-way through a season as a summary of all the shows, almost an update to the season preview guide, to identify the shows that realized their promise, went off the rails, or improved.
finally, I prefer to watch Funimations simul-dubs so, 1) news on what they will be before starting to watch the subbed versions would be nice, and 2) ANN review of the dub would be a good add to

Great website anyway, it is my source of anime news

Douglas

PS I prefered answerman when I knew what day to log in to read it
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I complained last year about RightStuf/Nozomi not being a choice for favorite anime company, and I see they are still not listed as a choice this year. They are my favorite US anime company. Is there any chance they could be added next year?

Same here, to both RightStuf/Nozomi as my favorite and "WTH, they forgot them last year too".

manapear wrote:
I also think I wanted to list Nozomi Ent as my favorite anime company, but I don't think it was on the list?

See ANN, there are dozens of us, DOZENS!

I mean, if ANN is just going by "top 10 companies" for their list or something, I'd like to point out that there are several other categories that have a ridiculous number of possible answers (like the "other hobbies" section, which ALSO has a lot of useless redundancy). So I don't see why ANN would snub a business that's been distributing anime since the damn 90s AND currently sponsors stuff on ANN.

BUT, OK, fine, say ANN insists on limiting the choices. That's fine, but there should at least be a "my choice is not listed here" rather than "no answer". Which they've even done for the (odd non sequitur) "what kind of car would you like to buy?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8