• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime Couple

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
My favorite anime couples are usually the ones that stayed/end up together 'til the end of the series. I've watched too many anime series to really pick one or two. There's a lot to chose from.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@Cryssoberyl

At the risk of derailing the conversation too much, as far as the tv series is concerned, whether one sees Utena and Anthy as a romantic couple or just friends depends on how the viewer interprets it.

It was canonically the intention of Ikuhara the director and Enokido the writer, as has been made clear numerous times in interviews and commentaries.

Quote:
things are too complex to be able to come up with clear cut interpretations.

As noted above, that is not the case, because the creators have clearly and explictly made known their intentions. This is not a matter of interpretation, it is a matter of record.

Quote:
I notice on your post, Cryssoberyl, that you seem to be saying that people who do not think that Anthy and Utena are a romantic pairing missed the point.

I do, and you have. Your preferred viewpoint is, by necessity, a willful disregard and dismissal of the staff's creative intentions.

Quote:
I consider the movie Adolescence of Utena as a very different animal.

It isn't. In fact, Ikuhara is on record as saying that, with regard to the more overt romance/sensuality in the movie, it is what he would've done in the series if he had had full freedom to do so.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I can be pretty difficult to please when it comes to romances. The chemistry has to be so palpable that it is undeniable. Very rarely do I find any show (even outside of anime) that manages that.

Having said that, Okabe and Kurisu from Stein's;Gate is pretty hard to beat.
I also like Rin and Shirou in Unlimited Blade Works.
Junichi and Kaoru from Amagami SS was also cute.

So what I get from that is I prefer couples that affectionately banter and tease, but always have each other's backs.

Also, I remember really enjoying the couple in Myself;Yourself and True Tears...though in all honesty I don't remember all that much about the shows anymore other than thinking they had really good romances.

I have just realized while thinking about the topic that I haven't seen enough Shoujo/Josei.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
@Cryssoberyl

First of all, I had no idea the creators had publicly acknowledged their intentions with Utena. It is not that I don't believe it, but I find it very unusual for artists to straight up say what their art is about.

And so, because Ikuhara and company have told us what their art is saying, we are not allowed to interpret their work any other way? That is no fun.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@Cryssoberyl

First of all, I had no idea the creators had publicly acknowledged their intentions with Utena. It is not that I don't believe it, but I find it very unusual for artists to straight up say what their art is about.

In terms of anime, Utena is indeed unique in the clarity of its creative background, which is one of the most well-documented in the history of the medium. From interviews, on-disc voiceover commentaries, and written essays and episode explanations in the rerelease materials - all of which I can source directly - we have the clearest possible picture of what Ikuhara and his staff intended to convey, and what they were prevented from conveying fully, in the series at least, by people resistant to the idea of a romance between women.

However, that does not detract from the intention, which is still clear to see in the series, and needless to say, they were given free reign with the movie.

{Edit}: You need to watch the rude comments and blind accusations towards other users. ~ Psycho 101
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
To Gabriella Ekens,

As an old-school Utena fan, thank you. I came here fearing the re-enactment of a very ancient battle. Ever since Utena's release, there has been a consistent conflict between those who acknowledge the (explicitly creator-intended) romance in Utena and Anthy's relationship, and the "they're just friends" deniers. In fact, for many years the deniers held sway.

If there has ever been a sign to me that some things about the world really have improved as I've grown older, it is that today, people are much more willing to accept and celebrate what we always knew. The story of Utena is, on its most basic level, a love story of two women - but of course, it is also so much more ambitious and sophisticated than what we have been trained to expect when the phrase "love story" is invoked.

With that in mind, I also wish to commend your general reading of the show as being very astute and on the level. I've witnessed and participated in Utena discussion and analysis for many years, and - as with any complex and multilayered subject - it is astounding how often, and in how many ways, people can miss the point or wander into interpretive dead-ends. With Utena in particular, there are many such pitfalls.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you (and the original post) slightly here.. (Also coming from a long-time, old-school Utena fan...)

The OP pegs the start of the turnaround at the end of the first arc, but the series as a whole doesn't support that. spoiler[The manipulation (at various levels) is continuing all the way up until the very end of the series. One could argue that in the complex interplay of betrayals and crosses involved there's a "true love" in the middle there, but the (implied: healthy) love story "between two women" is certainly not the "basic story" of the plot; everyone's manipulating and playing against everyone throughout until (and arguably, until beyond) the final climax.]

Really, if there's a holistic "basic story" that's surface-visible, it has to come from the "Sunlit Garden" motif... That is, spoiler[that it's "about" the leaving of adolescence and childhood illusions behind.] Graduating. spoiler[Mikage and Utena both do this, though not by choice, which is what links the Black Rose Arc with the end. Anthy does this, but it's importantly by choice. Akio cannot.] From there, you can easily branch off into all the various interpretations of plot and symbolism.

While there's definitely a story about "love" there within the series, it's relatively minor in the symbolic richness of what is shown, let alone minor within the actual plot. Utena may be a postmodern story about love; but it's not "a love story about minority group XYZ." Simply put: that's too simplistic. (Reminds me of a post someone made at MAL after the Egg episode that said they were going to stop watching the show because Touga was "homophobic" (after a comment he had made in the ep.) ... lolwut.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy to see the relationship listed here (any additional publicity for Utena is awesome!), but it's important to keep the semiotics distinct, and I don't think the prism given is conducive to the complex analysis the series is worthy of.

Last edited by Aphasial on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Has to be Renton and Eureka for me. Watching Renton develop from a love-at-first-sight teenage infatuation, and Eureka from a barely-noticed unfamiliar sensation, to full-fledged attraction was a wonderful thing, culminating in one of the all-time great anime episodes at the series' midway point. And the beautiful part is that we still had the entire second half to watch their now-realized romance go through some spectacular ups and downs, culminating in a wonderful proof that love can in fact conquer all. FUNi's re-release trailers dub the series "the greatest love story ever animated," and you'll get no arguments from me.

Props to those who mentioned Lawrence and Holo and Ko and Aoba, since both of those were brilliantly-realized relationships too. And having just watched Princess Tutu for the first time, I have to agree with DigitalScratch about that being a relationship that'll stick with me for a while.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
~Post Removed~.

Don't be disrespectful and attribute my opinion to homophobia. I am a heterosexual man, but I respect and support the LGBT community.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And so, because Ikuhara and company have told us what their art is saying, we are not allowed to interpret their work any other way? That is no fun.

FWIW, Ikuhara has also told us that "all interpretations are correct." And that he had Utena spoiler[become a car] in the movie because spoiler[he wanted to see a pretty girl turn into a car.] It's obvious that he's playing with audience interpretations, as is his wont to do.

It's fair to say there are lesbian overtones in the series but there's also a response to that even in the series itself: spoiler[Juri calls Utena and Anthy's relationship out as similar to her and Shiori; Utena responds that it's not that kind of relationship, but is at a loss for words in describing it.] It's clear that Ikuhara is trying to make some kind of point there.

I noticed this when I saw the movie, in San Francisco at the International G/L Film Festival, too.... Basically no one reacted at all to the vast majority of the movie (fair, as it's so dense). While everyone cheered spoiler[near the end, when they kiss, free from the academy together], that's probably as a result of emotional catharsis. The movie is a lot more than the journey leading up to that spoiler[kiss]

Last edited by Aphasial on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Izumi and Sig Curtis from Fullmetal Alchemist are my favorite anime couple. Best husband-wife team ever, and so cute together in their little romantic moments and strange domestic bliss running a meat shop in Dublith. They know what each other needs in life and are both bruiser badasses when need be. Sig mostly takes a back seat in the '03 anime, but in the manga and Brotherhood gets more play, helping to take on Sloth. Both shows, however, shows how much they love each other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
InuKag1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha and and Kagome of course, still my favorite couple after all this time, Hak and Yona from Yona of the Dawn (Love them! Even if its not "official" yet) and if you want to go old school I' d also say Serena and Darien from Sailor Moon

Last edited by InuKag1 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting topic, although it bummed me out because it made me realize that all of my top 3 anime couples ended badly: spoiler[Max and Milia] from Macross, spoiler[Nana and Ren] from Nana and spoiler[Mako and Iketani] from Initial D, although this last one didn't even get to become an actual couple.
maddynamite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Kotetsu and Barnaby from Tiger & Bunny. While not an explicitly romantic relationship, they have a deep friendship. What I love about their relationship is that both characters have problems and issues, and through their constant bickering they eventually realize that they need each other's help. Not only to capture the bad guys, but to move past trauma and insecurity to become more well-rounded, functioning adults.

If you want a romantic relationship, I am also fond of Okabe and Kurisu from Steins;Gate. Again, more bickering Smile but how could you not root for a man who takes on time itself to save the woman he loves?!
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While there's definitely a story about "love" there within the series, it's relatively minor in the symbolic richness of what is shown, let alone minor within the actual plot. Utena may be a postmodern story about love; but it's not "a love story about minority group XYZ." Simply put: that's too simplistic.

That is not the case either. Again, the record is clear. In one filmed interview (which was included in both the CPM and Nozomi domestic releases) Ikuhara outright states that he decided to depict lesbianism in order to have a minority viewpoint, to explore how certain types of being as a human are corralled as a "minority" form of existence by society.

Quote:
It's clear that Ikuhara is trying to make some kind of point there.

Yes, the point is Utena's strenuous assertions of being a "normal girl", consistent with many similar assertions earlier in the show. As well, her still-childlike inability to understand her own feelings, which Juri with her far more worldly and adult-like mindset sees clearly for what they are. Juri knew what she was seeing there, and who better? Indeed, that scene catalyzes Utena to really think about what her relationship with Anthy is. It's one of the most pivotal moments in the show in developing their romance.

{Edit}: As mentioned before watch the rude and condescending comments towards other users. Not going to fly. ~ Psycho 101
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I fully agree with Utena and Anthy as my favorite. I tend to only get particularly invested in female/female romances, with a few exceptions here and there, so most of my favorites tend to be non-canon. My other favorite that I'd argue is canon is Kyoko/Sayaka from Madoka. The subtle hints of Kyoko's feelings leading up to and in episode 9, the extent to which episode 9 proved it (right down to an Utena visual reference), and then evidence for Sayaka's reciprocation in Rebellion Story, finally letting them have something similar to a happy ending. They're just so beautiful together and I can barely handle it.

[Edit]: removed comment directed at another poster: the implied putdown may have been unintentional so please choose your words carefully. Errinundra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7