• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film's Teaser Shows Ryōsuke Yamada as Ed & CG Al

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
Feilkar wrote:

It's not a wig. The actor dyed his hair and grew it out, the only fake part is the extension/braid. I agree, it still looks a little off - but before you go accusing them of not putting any effort in, at least know what you're talking about.

So I have to know exactly everything about this movie before I can give my thoughts about this trailer ? I don't care enough to actually research this crap. Since Japanese movie studios have less budget, at LEAST they can try having the main character look decent.... And this is the end result.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Feilkar wrote:
It's not a wig. The actor dyed his hair and grew it out, the only fake part is the extension/braid. I agree, it still looks a little off - but before you go accusing them of not putting any effort in, at least know what you're talking about.

Did they use fake hair for the extensions? Mothing about how that hair looked/sat seemed natural. At least when real hair is used for extensions it tends to look reasonable natural.

Saku-dono wrote:
If you let a $10 wig ruin your image of a movie, then something must be wrong with you.

It won't ruin a movie or show completely but it does take a lot of the magic out of it for me. Because I can help but to notice it. It was like after taking an Aftereffects class and learning a lot of the basic tricks on how they do stuff, it's cool, but kind of ruins the magic. And Japan in a country with tons of nice cosplay wigs it wouldn't be hard to find a nice one that isn't that expensive that would even fit in a low budget movie. Though from the looks of it, this seems like a somewhat high budget movie for Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty much why I could never really get into these types of Japanese movies. Fullmetal Alchemist takes place in a country that's more or less based off of America, but the majority of the cast is being played by Japanese actors/actresses.

It's just like that AoT live-action movie. AoT is Germen based, and who did they cast??? Japanese actors/actresses. It's just a massive turn off for me. Sad
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Certainly looks like Italy, rather than Amestris. Not that I really have a problem with that.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
This is pretty much why I could never really get into these types of Japanese movies. Fullmetal Alchemist takes place in a country that's more or less based off of America, but the majority of the cast is being played by Japanese actors/actresses.

It's just like that AoT live-action movie. AoT is Germen based, and who did they cast??? Japanese actors/actresses. It's just a massive turn off for me. Sad

But like, it's totally acceptable to have these European characters in a European setting speaking, y'know, Japanese the entire time, right? But heaven forbid if they're actually cast as Japanese in a country where less than 1% of the population is non-Asian.

This is why I try to avoid taking part in anime adaptation discussions on anime centric forums. There's a very narrow mindset going on with many posters whose major exposure to Japan is anime. (it frustrates me so much to, time and again, read that asinine yellow-washing argument)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist takes place in a country that's more or less based off of America, but the majority of the cast is being played by Japanese actors/actresses.

Well, first of all, Amestris is obviously based on a more European setting, sort of a Germanic European setting, possibly English, though. But the settings in this trailer still work well for that.

Second, it's being made by Japanese people for Japanese audiences in Japan, who do you think they're going to cast? This is not an Western production.

FFS, why are people like this?! This entire thread is bursting with ignorance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DoesJuminHanIsGay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Certainly looks like Italy, rather than Amestris. Not that I really have a problem with that.

Lol, ofc since Amestris doesn't even exist.
Woomy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's amazing all these psychics here can tell everything about a movie from a couple of seconds of teaser footage.

I think it's just remembering how many times the Japanese have dropped the ball concerning anime adaptions before. Almost all of them are just garbage. Probably the only truly great ones out there is the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy. Those were really well done.
Feilkar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
Feilkar wrote:

So I have to know exactly everything about this movie before I can give my thoughts about this trailer ? I don't care enough to actually research this crap. Since Japanese movie studios have less budget, at LEAST they can try having the main character look decent.... And this is the end result.

Well...generally, before you get all self righteous, accusing people of not being professional ... Yeah, it's a good start to know what your talking about. Otherwise you end up having to back track and looking silly; case in point (your thoughts on the trailer are not what we're talking about, nice false equivalence though) "At least try"? I'd say holding off on other media commitments for months so he can grow his hair out specifically for this role classifies as trying. Plus the only semi clear look at the extension we get is it bunched up in his hood and you can't see it properly enough to comment on the quality. Not sure what more 'effort' you wanted.

You don't have to like the end result, I'm not trying to convince you to think it looks great or whatever. But you not liking it isn't grounds for asserting that someone's not trying hard enough.
Feilkar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Feilkar wrote:

Did they use fake hair for the extensions? Mothing about how that hair looked/sat seemed natural. At least when real hair is used for extensions it tends to look reasonable natural.

Not sure sorry. The movie is pretty high budget (for Japan anyway - though of course that's nothing compared to hollywood) and given what I've heard from the director and actors and their approach to the film, I'd be surprised if they just went for a cheap one; but I haven't heard anything specifically. I'm by no means an expert on fake hair so I can't tell much from the trailer without getting a good look, the only thing that i can see is his hair looks like it needs a wash but given the nature of Edwards character, I can forgive that.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="#sukkar"]
Tomchic420 wrote:

But like, it's totally acceptable to have these European characters in a European setting speaking, y'know, Japanese the entire time, right? But heaven forbid if they're actually cast as Japanese in a country where less than 1% of the population is non-Asian.

Oh come on Rolling Eyes we all know there's a certain suspension of disbelief that must take place when we have movies or cartoons of people who are supposed be from a certain country but are speaking whatever the audience's native language is. The idea is that in reality these people are speaking their native tongue, but for audience convenience, they're speaking whatever the audience's native tongue is. Let's not be obtuse Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

That said, I don't think it's fair to expect a Japanese produced movie to feature European actors, even though I think we can all agree that the Elrich brother's are very obviously meant to be European and not Japanese. I don't have high hopes for this only because it looks pretty cheap for a franchise that needs a lot of money behind it to fully realize all it's many facets of alchemy and such. I'm sure it will work just fine for the Japanese audience. As a western fan, I only hope that GiTS does well enough here to get hollywood studios interested enough in adapting anime like FMA since they would have the money do it right and they wouldn't have to run into as much claims of whitewashing with a property that's already heavily European inspired.
Suena

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I checked out a Japanese site to see what fans there thought about it. They seemed less than enthused. There was also a lot of sentiment that any FMA live-action should be left to Hollywood. Laughing
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda weird seeing Japanese fans more hyped for the western produced GiTS film than this. I always assumed FMA was bigger there than GiTS but maybe they just really like their Hollywood movies lol.

I actually thought that the GiTS trailer looked better than this which is the opposite of how I was expecting to feel. I was prepared to write off GiTS just for being Hollywood produced, but they seem to be proving me wrong.

We'll see for both films when they come out I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
A primarily European-like story with a Japanese cast. The same criticism with GiTS and Scarlett applies here. If you want to be truly faithful to this story, you would European talent.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Feilkar wrote:

Well...generally, before you get all self righteous, accusing people of not being professional ... Yeah, it's a good start to know what your talking about. Otherwise you end up having to back track and looking silly; case in point (your thoughts on the trailer are not what we're talking about, nice false equivalence though) "At least try"? I'd say holding off on other media commitments for months so he can grow his hair out specifically for this role classifies as trying. Plus the only semi clear look at the extension we get is it bunched up in his hood and you can't see it properly enough to comment on the quality. Not sure what more 'effort' you wanted.

You don't have to like the end result, I'm not trying to convince you to think it looks great or whatever. But you not liking it isn't grounds for asserting that someone's not trying hard enough.

RIght. They tried so hard and put so much effort, and ended up with that hair/costume.
Its like we're supposed to praise the effort, not the final product. It should be the other way around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4