• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Voted as Tokyo Anime Awards' Animation of the Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:

Man, people always overreact to these things. It's not a "horrible" list, it's a list that reflects different tastes than yours in cartoons. Why is this always the reaction when women vote for stuff? It's not like people flood the comments on polls that men voted in more with 'there's so much better stuff, why didn't they vote for what I liked?!'

Stupid whining about "fujoshi" aside, frankly the list makes me roll my eyes, and I say this as someone who is 1) a woman, 2) a "fujoshi" and 3) liked some of the shows on the list.

Sure, it's a popularity poll (likely rigged, too) but nevertheless it is grating to see yet another "Best Anime" type list which seems to cater to a rather specific taste, while other types of anime (including some really good ones) are either ranked really low on the list, or missing completely. (And again, I did like a number of those shows, hell, I loved Boueibu, but I wouldn't consider it as a contenstant for "anime of the year".) Also at this point I'm really developing a hype backlash for YOI. *shrug*

Rivailloli wrote:
Also YOI >>>>> anything from last year.

Not if you ask me. YOI was actually one of my biggest disappointments, even though I belong to the exact target demographic they were trying to appeal to, and I had expected to love it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
I personally would have voted for Flip Flappers as animation of the year, but it is great for the anime industry to have a huge hit like Yuri!!! on Ice.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll just take a moment to note that the toilet show To Be Hero ranked at number 7 while Showa Rakugo (Jan 6th 2016) didn't manage to get on the list.

Also not ranked, Owarimonogatari; same season as Seraph and One Punch.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
Still blows my mind to see Joker Game #2.

To provide a degree of contrast, Joker Game was just outranked in ANN's 2016 poll by Super Lovers, of all things.

In fairness, I found it to be emotionless beyond redemption. Geopolitical representations cannot really be shrunk to a human scale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Yuri!!! On Ice was a good series, a labour of love by director and writer, and a show with wide across the board appeal. .

What wide appeal? Clearly only women liked the show as per the people in this thread have enlightened us to. It was all women. Yep. Not a single guy liked this show or bought the disks. All women.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:
I'll just take a moment to note that the toilet show To Be Hero ranked at number 7 while Showa Rakugo (Jan 6th 2016) didn't manage to get on the list.

Also not ranked, Owarimonogatari; same season as Seraph and One Punch.

I'm baffled that this crappy show managed to rank on the list at all.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:

Man, people always overreact to these things. It's not a "horrible" list, it's a list that reflects different tastes than yours in cartoons. Why is this always the reaction when women vote for stuff? It's not like people flood the comments on polls that men voted in more with 'there's so much better stuff, why didn't they vote for what I liked?!'

Stupid whining about "fujoshi" aside, frankly the list makes me roll my eyes, and I say this as someone who is 1) a woman, 2) a "fujoshi" and 3) liked some of the shows on the list.

Sure, it's a popularity poll (likely rigged, too) but nevertheless it is grating to see yet another "Best Anime" type list which seems to cater to a rather specific taste, while other types of anime (including some really good ones) are either ranked really low on the list, or missing completely. (And again, I did like a number of those shows, hell, I loved Boueibu, but I wouldn't consider it as a contenstant for "anime of the year".) Also at this point I'm really developing a hype backlash for YOI. *shrug*

Not a woman nor a fujoshi, but I do tend to like a lot of the shows targeting that demographic and I don't like this poll either. Nothing inherently wrong with it, a fan poll is a fan poll. But It seems like Japan has a poll like this every other week, where people can vote daily and the people voting fit a very specific audience. I don't think I've seen a poll yet that seemed to capture the whole community very well. I'd like to see something like that, just for my own curiosity. YOI would probably be on top, as it should be, in my opinion, and then stuff like Re:Zero, Owarimonogatari, Rakugo Shinju, Sound Euphonium, New Game, Erased, Love Live, Konosuba, Mob Psycho, Haikyu, etc. would be following it. This poll weirdly omits almost all of those shows. Confused
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Hooray another fan poll that allows people to vote more than once for some incredibly stupid reason! Very Happy

Also, you know this list is ridiculous since at #17 Kuroko's Basketball Winter Cup Highlights is a GODDAMN CLIP SHOW.

I really wished 91 Days had a stronger following in Japan because I found the series incredibly satisfying unlike Joker Game which had some weird standalone spy episodes that weren't as clever once you think about it.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu season 1 isn't in the top 10 but, not surprised. It's one of the best anime dramas I've seen in years and season 2 has continued to leave me speechless (or sobbing on the floor) on more than one occasion. At least Mob Psycho 100, IBO, and High Speed! film were popular enough. There aren't many other shows that I actually liked on this list like JBA Diamond is Unbreakable, Amanchu, Flip Flappers, or Silent Voice but, I'm shocked Token Ranbu Hanamaru or Haikyuu! aren't here since both performed well on DVD/BD sales.

....oh and the Yuri on Ice fandom still exists.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't pay attention to polls a whole lot, but polls that allow people to vote more than once does sound rather odd. That's really a thing in Japan?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Already gotten a few reports so how about we all just keep it civil. That would be great.
beeperlove

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Already gotten a few reports so how about we all just keep it civil. That would be great.

1000% Agree.
strawberysammy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
sammy:
Quote:
Why is every one so bewildered that Joker Game placed second? Joker Game's Blu-Rays ranked top five in the charts.

You sure? I didn't see it in any ANN articles.

I'm sure.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-02/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-july-25-31/.104933

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-04/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-september-26-october-2/.107240
Suena

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the minority in being OK with one-vote-a-day polls. It lets you weight your vote. If I get to vote once a day for 10 days, I can throw all the votes toward one show if I think it was the only good one that year, or I can split them up, and give one vote to each show I enjoyed. Or two to that one, and three to a different one.

I think it's more representative than the ANN polls which only let you pick 3 choices when you like 7 things equally.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
^Sure, but a 7k average is considered a plain "success", not the massive hit that its popularity in these polls would suggest it is. For comparison, the first volume of Yuri on Ice has so far sold 70k, ten times more. And other recent series like UtaPri or Tourabu have also proved notoriously more successful -both selling in their first volume, more than both Joker Game volumes combined-. Both also belong to massively successful franchises, yet they're not even in the top 5. That's where people's confusion's coming from
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:

Rivailloli wrote:
Also YOI >>>>> anything from last year.

Not if you ask me. YOI was actually one of my biggest disappointments, even though I belong to the exact target demographic they were trying to appeal to, and I had expected to love it.

Hot tip: if you put the word "fujoshi" in parathesis, you are probably not a fujo. Unless hardcore BL is more your tastes (and it is for some fujos who like Super Lovers over YoI for those reason)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4