• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spiriting Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
i wouldn't buy any Naruto manga. 1-20 vols manga is the way to go for me.
Russ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
Hi!

That's quite the response in regards to the collection of mine. Anyway, I'll answer some of the questions I saw posed here and present some brief factoids.

The collection is 100% legit - it has ALL been bought at either conventions or online stores. When rightstuf has a sale is when I make BIG orders, but i've been collecting for more than 5 years. I typically spend about 55% of the retail price. DVDplanet had an anime sale (50% off EVERYTHING) and that resulted in another massive order.

I started my collection with the 3 Tenchi movies and the OAV boxed set. Once I saw that, I snagged Outlaw Star (never knew an entire episode of that was missing from the Cartoon Network version) and that sealed it.

The collection is currently kept in my basement of my home. Current total is 1,880. Hentai titles are missing from the collection since I had a holiday party down here and didn't want family members going "HEY RUSS, WHAT'S THIS?!?!" to everybody. Smile

The manga collection is at 507 books (had a few more delivered since the images). Again, TRSI has great deals when they go on sale. I started on the manga trip when I started my job at a cable company and had some downtime in the late hours of the day. Since we're not allowed to do much, reading manga fit the bill perfectly, so I expanded my collection of that.

Major problem now is storage space. Rather than buy yet ANOTHER shelf, I decided I'm going to try to build one this summer on the wall where the single DVD shelf is sitting. The wall is about 10 feet wide by 6 1/2 feet high, so that'll create me plenty of room.

Oh, and yes, that is an Infocus Screenplay 4805 video projector. I'm a fan of Otakon and loved watching anime on those massive screens and wanted something similar for home. The projector's price was right (about 700 bucks, 800 with mount and shipping), so now I have a 108" TV (9 feet for you lazy people. Wink ) and anime looks gorgeous on it. No screen, just a plain white wall. Movies also look fantastic. A buddy of mine watched a movie on this with me and a week later picked himself up an Infocus Screenplay 5000. Smile

I'd post an excel spreadsheet of everything I own but I don't see an attachment feature. Oh well.

And yes, BrainWav and I have known each other for quite a long time and met each other a couple times in person (at Otakon. Smile).

Yes, I'm a total and absolute nerd/geek and I love my anime. Very Happy
AnDrEj123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
Russ that is one amazing collection. I have a question though. How much did it cost? Like a rough estimate so I know how much I need to save up to own a collection that good some day.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
"Oh Lord, give me strength"
That's the mantra I say lots when dealing with my two. and I never even heard of Disgaea.

bci110 wrote:
There are a couple of customer reviews for Origin on Netflix and one person wrote that the movie was essentially a remake of Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind with better visuals. I haven't seen Nausicaa so I don't know if this statement is accurate or not.
The purian cardinals will be howling "sacrilege!" but I won't be so crass. Wink
AnDrEj123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hey Russ if its possible can you email me the spread sheet of your collection.

email: [email protected]

I would greatly appreciate it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Russ wrote:
I'd post an excel spreadsheet of everything I own but I don't see an attachment feature. Oh well.

Correct, there is no attachment feature. Best you could do would be to upload the file to a host and link to it in your post. There are also some services online you can use, such as DVDAF or DVDspot, which I use and have my DVD collection linked to as my webpage in my profile here but I can imagine with so many DVD's it would probably take you weeks to input all those so it might not be worth it for ya.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Russ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... cost. The easy answer: A friggin LOT of money. A rough estimate... Ummm... Well, if each disc is calculated at about 13 dollars a disc (probably close to accurate since vol 1 + box are usually more, but complete boxed sets are usually less), the cost would come to $24,440 dollars.

...... O_O I wonder how much the other guy paid for his collection of 4,300 DVDs... LOL

I actually have my own webserver, so here's the spreadsheet: http://www.tmia.net:5050/images/dvds/animeihave.xls

I'm aware of DVDspot 'n stuff... I think even animenewsnetwork has a collection feature (I somewhat remember messing with it a long time ago). Takes too long to input everything. I started keeping the spreadsheet so I could find out which series' were still not fully purchased so when brands go on sale, I can just snap it up without worrying about duplicates (just accidentally got another duplicate... that will be given away... oops. Smile )

Aaaaaaaand I just received another box from TRSI with various stuff in it. Yay. And no place to put it. LOL My orders used to be huge... I think my biggest one contained 43 discs... it was a BIG box. But I've since become far more conservative, only buying things when they go on sale or snapping up boxed sets. Makes the dollar go a lot further.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd certainly recommend Taste of Tea, although I'm kind of surprised the review doesn't mention the film's anime connections, such as a cameo by Hideaki Anno, and an animated sequence by Takeshi Koike. (Oh, and just to be pedantic: the director's name is Ishii, not Ishi.)

For those of you who can't wait for the US DVD release, there are Japanese and Korean releases of the film with English subtitles. (I haven't seen the Korean version, which just came out, but the Japanese release is very well-done.)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
So, I see a lot of people agreeing with BD about how Disgaea sucks. Would that be after you guys watched the Japanese version or the English version? Because I would probably get the jokes if I watched it in Japanese and then maybe it would be funny. I don't play the game though, what system is it on?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
So, I see a lot of people agreeing with BD about how Disgaea sucks. Would that be after you guys watched the Japanese version or the English version?

I've never played the game, but I really like the Disgaea anime. In Japanese. The English dub is awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
No worries Nagisa, you're not alone since I enjoyed what I was able to see of Galaxy Railways too.

It's so purely Matsumoto, too. One of the things I really wish newer fans would catch onto about his works (especially evident in Galaxy Express 999) is that he excels at telling stories with a deep inherent humanity , much like Tezuka or Ishinomori.

Galaxy Railways is indeed awesome, and I found it worth buying at individual DVD prices. The one thing that bothered me was the names Yuki, and Yuuki are both used. One of the first things they taught me in script writing was to have characters names be significantly different, then again this is at least a bit better than Kei and Kei from Gantz. The series seems significantly different from Cosmo Warrior Zero, Gun Frontier, Captain Herlock and the other recent Matsumoto based series due to the strong ensemble of characters. Most of the other newer Matsumoto series seem to be about a couple really cool characters and a bunch of cliche sub-characters. All of the characters in Galaxy Railways seem to have decent development. I also like the changing of the guard with Yuuki's father being his bosses boss, which reminds me of Gunbuster in a good way. I really hope to see the sequel get a R1 release.

Too bad about Origin. I've had this on my shelf this past week waiting to watch with my roommates who are not anime fans since the trailer looked so good. I guess I'll just watch it by myself instead.

PS I do recall more than a few threads over the last four years where Craeyst (sorry still not a Tenchi fan though) and Nagisa (I like the Lafiel avatar the best) have agreed on some excellent titles, as well as some good Gundam conversations with me. It's nice to know that you two enjoy this series too.
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
So, I see a lot of people agreeing with BD about how Disgaea sucks. Would that be after you guys watched the Japanese version or the English version?

I've never played the game, but I really like the Disgaea anime. In Japanese. The English dub is awful.

DUDE, i've only heard the review for Disgaea 2 (PS2, I think both 1 & 2 are for PS2....) on X-Play, and i read the review for the dvd on Newtype//USA, now that all had spoken about this anime being GOD-AWFUL, i'll put that under the "anime that needs to die" list. (no offense to all the fans...)
also Jedi General, nice 'Trinity avatar. its a good thing the series will be over this saturday, u exited for Blood+ - the anime?

--The FZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
AnDrEj123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Russ wrote:
Hmmm... cost. The easy answer: A friggin LOT of money. A rough estimate... Ummm... Well, if each disc is calculated at about 13 dollars a disc (probably close to accurate since vol 1 + box are usually more, but complete boxed sets are usually less), the cost would come to $24,440 dollars.

...... O_O I wonder how much the other guy paid for his collection of 4,300 DVDs... LOL

I actually have my own webserver, so here's the spreadsheet: http://www.tmia.net:5050/images/dvds/animeihave.xls

I'm aware of DVDspot 'n stuff... I think even animenewsnetwork has a collection feature (I somewhat remember messing with it a long time ago). Takes too long to input everything. I started keeping the spreadsheet so I could find out which series' were still not fully purchased so when brands go on sale, I can just snap it up without worrying about duplicates (just accidentally got another duplicate... that will be given away... oops. Smile )

Aaaaaaaand I just received another box from TRSI with various stuff in it. Yay. And no place to put it. LOL My orders used to be huge... I think my biggest one contained 43 discs... it was a BIG box. But I've since become far more conservative, only buying things when they go on sale or snapping up boxed sets. Makes the dollar go a lot further.

Thanks for the spreadsheet....and I think I might take up collection anime as a hobby once I graduate from nursing school...I just can't get enough of anime

ps. I noticed you don't have BECK....I don't know if you've watched it or not but I think its an amazing anime....better than most "classics"
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
(I like the Lafiel avatar the best)

It's actually a fanart of Caster from Fate/stay night (a sorely neglected and mishandled character in the anime version, I might add). Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Still, Caster and Lafiel do look quite a bit alike in many respects, so I can understand the mix-up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
So, I see a lot of people agreeing with BD about how Disgaea sucks. Would that be after you guys watched the Japanese version or the English version? Because I would probably get the jokes if I watched it in Japanese and then maybe it would be funny. I don't play the game though, what system is it on?

I watched it in Japanese, but it didn't help. I played both games in Japanese, so that's the reason I watched it in Japanese, but it doesn't change the fact that the anime is cheap and sucky. The jokes aren't funny in any language.

Both Disgaea games are on the PS2, and Disgaea 2 is one of the games I hold closest to my heart (the first one was originally, but the second one just ups it on so many levels). I've been playing it since it first came out, and even though I'm a huge RPG fan, it's made it impossible for me to put a total of ten hours combined into Final Fantasy XII, Tales of the Abyss, and Rogue Galaxy. I've been playing a lot of Ar Tonelico, but I'm not sure why.

Even though the Disgaea anime was about as bad as an anime can get, I would probably watch a Disgaea 2 anime just because they'd be animating Rozalin, which may actually cancel out the potential suckiness of the adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4