• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sci Fi to Air Ghost in the Shell's Solid State Society, Noein, Tokko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope its aired uncut. Granted, I doubt it will be, but I don't think th edits will be significant. If you've seen some of Sci-Fi's recent shows, you'd know they aren't too worried about violence. If something gets cut, I'm betting it will be either nudity or harsh language.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
Yes but you're missing my point. To get this new block off to a good start they need a sure fire hit. Something with not only hype, but the approval of the online community. And what are the 3 most hyped, highly respected series right now? Death Note, Haruhi, and Code Geass. After you have the big attention grabber, then you can air Noein or Tokko as a supplement, not the main course. Toonami has Naruto, and AS has Bleach. Sci Fi doesn't have anything nearly comparable to Cartoon Network's big guns.

I get what your saying it would be great if Sci-fi could get DN, Haruhi or Code Geass on their channel. But considering that this block only includes Manga titles I think that the titles presented are pretty strong. I think that DN will eventually find it way onto Television, Haruhi probably not so much considering it's has a lot in jokes, but I know there's plenty of Otaku who would like to see it aired in the US. As for Code Geass were still waiting for Bandai to announce this title, well at least it's Bandai and not Bandai Visual.

Naruto we know has been a pretty big hit in the US, I didn't realize that Bleach was doing that well. I thought that it was doing just alright but many had higher hopes for it, I still think that Noein (which had similar buzz to CG) could be hit. And with the GITS:SSS movie airing I am sure that the anime fans are going to be switching channels at least one night. And lets not forget [AS] has only repeats of Futurarama/Family Guy and Shin Chan.....and Inyusuha for about the 100 time. Although [AS] is airing new Voltrons at 5:30 AM.....so there really isn't any competition for Sci-Fi on Mondays no new heroes/24 and there aren't really anime worth watching on [AS] I don't see why people wouldn't want to watch something new.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Freaking yeah! I can't wait for this! I'm so excited!
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
If this channel was available in Canada, I'd start mourning my purchase of the first two Noein DVD's .

And speaking of said series, does anyone whose watched the third DVD think it's an improvement of the last two? I'm not too sure if I'm going to continue watching unless I know. I'd wait for the review here, but it seems ANN has came to a skid in its daily reviews...
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I get what your saying it would be great if Sci-fi could get DN, Haruhi or Code Geass on their channel. But considering that this block only includes Manga titles I think that the titles presented are pretty strong. I think that DN will eventually find it way onto Television, Haruhi probably not so much considering it's has a lot in jokes, but I know there's plenty of Otaku who would like to see it aired in the US. As for Code Geass were still waiting for Bandai to announce this title, well at least it's Bandai and not Bandai Visual.

Naruto we know has been a pretty big hit in the US, I didn't realize that Bleach was doing that well. I thought that it was doing just alright but many had higher hopes for it, I still think that Noein (which had similar buzz to CG) could be hit. And with the GITS:SSS movie airing I am sure that the anime fans are going to be switching channels at least one night. And lets not forget [AS] has only repeats of Futurarama/Family Guy and Shin Chan.....and Inyusuha for about the 100 time. Although [AS] is airing new Voltrons at 5:30 AM.....so there really isn't any competition for Sci-Fi on Mondays no new heroes/24 and there aren't really anime worth watching on [AS] I don't see why people wouldn't want to watch something new.

I purchased the first volume of Noein, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. It definitely has potenial though. I read a ANN review and it looks like the show really picks up in the second volume. I forgot the block is gonna air on monday. But don't get me wrong, I and all anime fans should have our fingers crossed that this block will be a great succses for Sci Fi.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
You guys seem to be assuming that they want to match Adult Swim ratings. That might be their eventual goal, but I don't think they might be aiming that high immediately. This is obviously a Manga-specific deal for now. Also, Sci Fi is nowhere near the powerhouse that Adult Swim/CN is; if any anime companies want to air a major hit show, Sci Fi channel will not be their first choice.

Noein is probably the best of the lineup followed by SSS. But I'm confused about Noein and Tokko..will they just be previewing them or airing the whole series? It's worded oddly.

halochief: If you don't like it in the first two volumes, you might never like it. I was convinced very early on that it would be one of the best anime series I had ever seen (and I wasn't let down in that assumption). I saw it fansubbed, I'll watch it on Sci Fi, and I will probably by all the DVDs. It was hands down the best anime to air in Japan last year. You should keep watching though as the next two volumes will feature some of the best anime fights you will ever lay eyes on.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
I purchased the first volume of Noein, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. It definitely has potenial though. I read a ANN review and it looks like the show really picks up in the second volume. I forgot the block is gonna air on monday. But don't get me wrong, I and all anime fans should have our fingers crossed that this block will be a great succses for Sci Fi.

Yeah if ya don't like the series (noein) after the second volume then it's probably not your thing. Like you noted I am not against [AS] (well I do hate some of the new stuff they have on) I would just like for this to do well.

bahamut623 wrote:
Also, Sci Fi is nowhere near the powerhouse that Adult Swim/CN is; if any anime companies want to air a major hit show, Sci Fi channel will not be their first choice.

Agreed but if [AS] doesn't want to air your show it would be nice to know that there are other channels that might possibly give you a shot at having your show on their station. I wonder if IFC is going to expand there anime lineup, but then again there probably in an exclusive deal with Funimation. But I am sure there are other Funimation shows that could be on IFC, Mushishi anyone?

Last edited by Deltakiral on Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Agreed but if [AS] doesn't want to air your show it would be nice to know that there are other channels that might possibly give you a shot at having your show on their station. I wonder if IFC is going to expand there anime lineup, but then again there probably in an exclusive deal with Funimation. But I am sure there are other Funimation shows that could be on IFC, Mushishi anyone?

AHH...you're so right about Mushishi. That's right up IFC's alley. I'm glad you brought up IFC, since that seems to be the best comparison for what Scifi is doing. A small block, but not a major thing. I definitely want to see both of them do more. SciFi doesn't need any hit shows...that doesn't necessarily mean those shows are better. IFC never showed any mega hits but they were successful. Something like Gunslinger Girl would probably never have aired on AS.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
AHH...you're so right about Mushishi. That's right up IFC's alley. I'm glad you brought up IFC, since that seems to be the best comparison for what Scifi is doing. A small block, but not a major thing. I definitely want to see both of them do more. SciFi doesn't need any hit shows...that doesn't necessarily mean those shows are better. IFC never showed any mega hits but they were successful. Something like Gunslinger Girl would probably never have aired on AS.

Exactly a once a week sort of thing where new episodes of anime are shown. Along with Mushishi, an another series similar to that style that could work is Hell Girl. While it wasn't my favorite show Hell Girl certainly does have a following, and there are multiple series. And I'd have to assume that if Witchblade doesn't get [AS] it should end up on one of the other stations.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Gits: SSS(SWEET Cool ), Noein (heard of it) ,Tokko (heard of it once or twice) ,Macross Plus.........wait, WHAT!? Shocked ok, besides the people involved with this, and unless your psychic, nobody saw this comming.

with this move, Adult Swim is officially history. Sci-fi wanted to compete, but they just won.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
On topic of editing: Just simply to make it short, as long as their editing only means that they will make something R-rated into something PG-13 rated, I don't think it will be such a big deal. In fact, I almost would prefer them doing that definition of editing. But if it goes as far as like 4-Kids style editing, yeah, that should be something I'd be worried about.

Anyways, here's my 2-cents from the other thread on this same topic:

I wrote:
Oh man, some of the best news in a while, AND I DON'T GET TO PARTICIPATE IN IT!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Stupid Sci-Fi channel being on digital cable and not regular, and me not being able to afford it!!! Mad I mean we used to have it back in the day our family could afford it, but now.......GAH!!!!! Mad

Oh well. I guess I still wish it luck in it's new anime block. I hope this doesn't mean the end of [AS]'s anime block though, since I don't have any faith in them whatsoever even if their anime block is being competed against. That'd only take away the only other source of anime I have other than Toonami, which is a good block and everything, but I also need something that won't limit itself in the types of stuff it shows at the same time.

Although I'm not sure exactly why it's competition in the first place since [AS]'s block is on Saturday nights instead of Monday.
Rukusho

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Score! Now this is good news. Haha. Now I REALLY have something to look forward to in June (besides graduating and all that jazz just two days before.)

Ahahh.

But do you really think it will be censored at all? I mean, there isn't much gory violence in the series at all. And also after what SciFi has been airing recently....I think that GitS:SSS pales in comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rukusho

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Score! Now this is good news. Haha. Now I REALLY have something to look forward to in June (besides graduating and all that jazz just two days before.)

Ahahh.

But do you really think it will be censored at all? I mean, there isn't much gory violence in the series at all. And also after what SciFi has been airing recently....I think that GitS:SSS pales in comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
douglas2k6

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Good to have the block back!

If anyone can remember (I know I do) the Sci-Fi channel used to showcase anime on Saturday nights (around 12:00 am) a few years ago, but it was fazed out. So to me, this great news! They showed some of the major titles back then, such as Akira, Tenchi Muyo In Love, GITS...the list was pretty original for the time.

Also, they showed Macross Plus on there before, I remember watching it. Very Happy
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Like many, I still have fond memories of the old Sci-Fi Saturday with Robot Carnival, Galaxy Express and many others that I have not had a chance to see since they stopped showing them those many years ago.

BINGO, thats what Sci-Fi needs to do with their anime block!! Mix some new with some classics. Half of the nerds here on these forums and god knows how many little snots have not had the honor of watching Robot Carnival or some of the more gritty stuff in Anime's infancy here in the states.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4