• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Weekend Atlanta to Premiere New One Piece Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I care alot more about the dub being good, and casual fans being able to enjoy the show than anything else. Especially if they have any past experience with what's run on t.v., which (Despite the popularity of fansubs) will be most people who are watching cartoon network.

My favorite shonen anime of all time, I'd love to see it get the credit it deserves for being a fantastic joy ride.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

There's fansubs of Digimon out now, actually. To tell the truth, its not nearly as charming without the inserted jokes. It feels pretty much just like a typical american action cartoon, which was a bit disapointing since I'd spent so much of my childhood wanting to see Japanese Digimon. I could even argue the music they replaced the original soundtrack with is BETTER.

Oh yeah, I know, but I really want to have a legal DVD version that has both the old dub and accurate subs on it. I'm greedy, I suppose. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

It's odd, I'm not totally surprised that it wasn't as fun without the jokes, somehow...I'd still like to see the Japanese version, though, if only to get the sense that i understand it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bakaShin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
an action/adventure shonen jump series with pirates that have crazy abilities that failed. if a series like this is heavily disliked it certainly the fault of the changes it underwent. the bare minimum of a rock intro and straight translation would have sufficed.

lets face it, it was butchered and those who didn't watch see it for yourself, dont kid yourself into thinking that you have any clue what really happened. stupid intro, no serious dialog - they talk in joke most of the time that wasnt remotely funny, things edited, things rewritten, things left out, etc.

marketing was just plain bad as this could have been as popular as bleach and naruto with its established fanbase pushing it.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
firecrouch wrote:
"One Piece" wouldn't work on [adult swim] because it's a kids/tweens show, and thus it wouldn't get the ratings.
Let's back up here. And how does Bleach work again?

What's that? Fangirl screams I hear? Holy smokes it's Inuyasha!

Conversely, Naruto works so well on CN because it's mature for its target age, right?

Inuyasha was put on Adult Swim because Toonami hadn't yet matured enough to allow the content found in the show (specifically mentioned was Inuyasha getting impaled by an arrow onto a tree as a reason for going to Adult Swim instead of Toonami). And Bleach is an anomaly, one that should not start a trend.

Here's what I feel is the big reason why One Piece (and Naruto) are on Toonami instead of Adult Swim: marketing. Both these shows cater heavily to the young boys market, and it's difficult to market a lot of merchandise upon kids with expendable cash when the show airs on a block called Adult Swim. With Bleach, I'm guessing Viz felt its marketing potential wasn't good enough for them, so they put it on Adult Swim so it could get on TV quickly without bothering with the edits typically found in Naruto.

But Funi doesn't Bleach success, they want Naruto success, and they will not get it if One Piece airs on Adult Swim. Having fewer edits on TV does not justify attaching a very kid-marketable show to a block that airs stuff like The Boondocks, Morel Orel, and Metalocalypse.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'll sound in...
Naruto is successful, because it had years of being released in manga form, before the anime was brought over, so it had a huge installed fanbase when it started. which meant it HAD to be on cartoon network where more people could see it (at the earlier time). Also, with the main character being 12 at the beginning of the series, that is generally the age-range it's marketed to.

Bleach, as far as I can tell, went to [adultswim], because they didn't want to have to deal with editing it, and in the later parts of the series, there would have been a lot to edit, especially with the current episodes airing in Japan. Add to that, the main character for this series is 15, highschool age, and can supposedly (in the mind of marketers) appeal to an older audience. With older characters in the series, Viz can then have them using more mature dialogue (i.e. swearing) that they can't get away with on Toonami.

One Piece, is another show about a 12-yo... however, in my opinion, the content is more in line with the intensity of Bleach, with the amount of intense violence throughout the show. The problem was 4Kids dub their shows "for kids", and took what should have been a series aimed at 12-16 year olds, and aimed it at 5-12 year olds, the general Saturday morning cartoon watchers. Add to that, as someone else said, that it was originally on Fox, and that adds another level of editting that has to be done, since everyone, everywhere, with a tv gets that channel.
I never watched the original One Piece dub, but I kept track of all the complaints, and looked at the video edits. After 4Kids announced they would not be dubbing anymore, I watched some of the fansubs, and after about 20 episodes, I got hooked. Just recently, I tried watching the dub, just to see how bad it was... Holy crap, was it bad. I won't even claim to be a fan, but what they did to this series is downright scary. Needless to say, I sincerely hope Funimation can manage a decent dub for this series, since I'm almost up to where 4Kids stopped dubbing, so if the new dub is good, I could start watching the broadcast version, to help support it with ratings, and I'll definitely be buying the uncut boxsets when they come out.
Spikemcruffy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
jj

Last edited by Spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
That's my city!! Sweet, maybe I can catch me some One piece while I'm at the convention.

I love AWA, it's only about 20 minutes from my house and always has some good things to see/do.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I was going to buy the uncut box sets anyways, even if I did end up liking the Toonami version and sticking with it. I was just worried if I could only watch it via the box sets is all.

But anyways, yeah, I'm really not all that offended by editing so long as it just simply sticks to "Edited for TV" as has already been mentioned and doesn't go any further than that. So I think I'll definitely give the Toonami version a try when it comes out, and if it pisses me off enough, then I'll just stop and stick to watching it on the uncut box sets. Although personally, if what was said is true about the flashes of light every time Luffy hits someone, that's already got me pissed off enough, especially when they allow much worse with Naruto. I just simply don't want it to have the edits the 4kids version had is all. The editing of the cigars or cigarettes probably won't bother me all that much so long as that's all they do to it, or maybe just a little bit of violence, about as much as they edited from Naruto anyways to go with it. But that's probably the most editing I'll tollerate, nothing more.

Speaking of the whole Naruto edits and One Piece edits comparison, now that I think about it, I'd say the reason why Naruto probably would get away with less editing is because CN probably fears it's fanbase more, whereas they aren't nearly as afraid of the One Piece ones, so they feel they can make whatever edits they want to make. I don't know, maybe future success of the series will change their minds, eh? Let's hope so......
Drac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
http://funimation.com/onepiece/

Well Funi's now got a simple page up for the upcoming season. They've even changed the logo to gold which makes we wonder if that's what they'll be going with from now on.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MetatronM"][quote="sukisho"]
MetatronM wrote:
It does not draw good ratings on Toonami.
Umm, yes it does. If it didn't CN wouldn't even be bothering to renew it for a third season.

It may not get the ratings Naruto or Pokemon get, but it does get good ratings. Otherwise it wouldn't have lasted 100 or more episodes.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, where did you find that link?
Drac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
Holy crap, where did you find that link?

Over at Arlong Park.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, it looks like someone found it themselves. I wonder why FUNimation didn't inform the public of the update themselves, why it's not linked on their front page? Maybe they want to test the waters through word-of-mouth?

I don't think the logo is permanent, I think it's their to go along with the design of the webpage and to go along with the gold theme of Skypiea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3