• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Touch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
It's Touch! Yay! Whoo! Yeaaah!!!

kgw wrote:
Greenwood, Gundam 0080, Touch... my all-time favourites... Are you sure you are not my long-lost American twin? Shocked

Touch was a hit (or so) in 80-90's in Europe or at least in France, Italy and Spain (a country which doesn't know a word of baseball). So Touch manga & anime has been released here.
If you can watch R2 DVD, you got the movies in French & Spanish, and the TV serie just in French (both the "localizated" -just dubbed- and the uncut version -just subbed-).

You like those shows too? Well, they are pretty awesome.

And Touch is available in manga form in French (and I'm pretty sure Spanish as well?) if you can read it. Great series, great buried treasure choice... though I might be a bit biased. Yep, it sucks that there will never be an R1 release. Sad
Redmaigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
When I was in Japan earlier this year, there was a show that came on right after Demashita! PowerPuff Girls Z that I really enjoyed. It was a baseball sports anime that pulled me in after watching one episode.

Now I don't like sports and I don't like baseball but I like anime and I liked this show.

I thought I would never see or hear about it again until this article brought it all back. Believe me when I say that they DO re-run shows in Japan from time to time. I even saw Gundam Seed air right after Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula.

Thank you! I will now go and search for this series...
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
I've been watching this show, up to episode 20ish. Really enjoying it so far. I love Tatsuya, for some reason I just really relate to him. As for the spoiler, I think anyone who's ever heard anything about Touch knows about it (it's probably the first thing you ever hear), so it doesn't bother me too much knowing it. Being 100+ episodes, I know it's still gonna come as a blow when it does happen. However, I didn't read the whole article to not spoil anything else. I would like to see this on Imaginasian TV or something, but it isn't TMS is it? Their method would be ideal for collecting a 100+ episode anime.

Redmaigo wrote:
When I was in Japan earlier this year, there was a show that came on right after Demashita! PowerPuff Girls Z that I really enjoyed. It was a baseball sports anime that pulled me in after watching one episode.

Ookiku Furikabutte? I've been interested in this show, but haven't seen it yet.
ChaosAxess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
I never expected an article like this to come up! I love Mitsuru Adachi! I've read a lot of his series, I should watch some of his series' animes sometime. Katsu!, H2, and probably Cross Game are my favorites of his.
Pantha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
+1 for "Man! Why'd you have to go and spoil it?" Unlike many readers, I am in the weird position of never having watched Touch yet at the same time knowing of its existence:

Same here. I've never watched a single episode (I despise the genre) yet I've heard about it and know what it is about. Therefore, when reading the article, I was highly annoyed at the spoiler. I don't care how soon the event occurs (that's irrevelant); spoilers of that nature do not belong in a review. Period. It is easy to say what was needed without the spoiler...if you know what you're doing. I stopped reading the article after the unneccessary spoiler, but ironically, the article did what it intended to do. I'm downloading the series as I write this. Miracles can happen. I did like Kimagure Orange Road, after all.
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
After I saw some of the best WMT titles I am not in the mood to watch inferior titles anymore so I took a break from anime. But whenever I find the time and mood to watch anime again, this title is next on the list.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Touch is such a great and endearing series and is definitely among my favorites, even though I've only seen a few episodes of the series. I love sports anime and manga, especially those based around baseball. So, if anyone hasn't seen Touch, I highly, highly recommend checking it out. Justin's review is spot on. Thanks again Justin for another great article. Hopefully Animeigo will get smart and release this baby after Yawara.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
Well, perhaps the Touch anime is better than the H2 anime, but I like the H2 manga better than the Touch manga.

One serious flaw with Adachi, though, is that ALL of his manga are...pretty much the same thing (even all of the main characters look alike!)
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
Touch is easily in my top 3 anime TV series of all time and I'm only at episode 15 so far. I put it on hiatus a year ago since I was intimidated by the vast episode count and forgot to resume it. I'll defintly continue again after this reminder.

Considering the show's popularity even today in Japan, it's easy to see why Animeigo chose Yawara over Touch, the latter should be significantly more expensive based on domestic demand.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Considering the show's popularity even today in Japan, it's easy to see why Animeigo chose Yawara over Touch, the latter should be significantly more expensive based on domestic demand.

Yawara! is also by Kitty Films, with which AnimEigo has a previous relationship (Urursei Yatsura).
nishime

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:

One serious flaw with Adachi, though, is that ALL of his manga are...pretty much the same thing (even all of the main characters look alike!)

hmm... I was going to say that it seemed like a knowledge of Touch was essential for the well-rounded otaku, but it might be just any old Mitsuru Adachi work. I have no idea.

On "challengers of fire" there was this 100 question otaku quiz, where if any of the assembled 50 otaku could give the full names of all persons in all 100 pictures, they would win $10,000 (probably 1 million yen? ). And I'm pretty sure one of the pictures was Minami, except a lot of people got eliminated at that point because they had no clue what her last name actually was. The subtitling was a bit erratic when it came to written things, so it might have been a different Adachi character that they didn't know the last name of, though. The art style is fairly distinctive.
rag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
Greetings! Good review.
Quote:
(traded to the baseball team captain for an autograph of a pop star)

Unfortunatelly they made this scene different from the manga, in the manga Tatsuya was traded by a Lum (from Urusei Yatsura) poster signed by Rumiko Takahashi, it was pretty cool, Urusey Yatsura was pretty popular in the eighties too and was often referred in other major works as well.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
I've watched up to episode 10 now, and I love this series very much, thankyou for the recommendation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3