• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight. Too New or just hard to find?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zachiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I am a vampire knight fan, since the first volume was made.I first saw vampire knight in shojo beat after that i looked for it in many parts library, bookstores everywhere but none was up to date with the one in japan Crying or Very sad at that moment how I wished I knew Japanese,but since that was impossible i kept on looking for it and when I finally found it I began to read it till the latest volume so i can assure you that vampire knight is mostly about romance, but there are some parts where killing is involve but this manga is not violent although I highly recommend it. P.S love their uniforms Smile
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I guess you could say romance is at the center of the Vampire Knight story but it's very low-key and unusual. Especially once you find out about Yuki's secret past. But there's more to it than that. I just got upset because people were talking as if it was about all the characters being romantically involved with each other and who was going to end up with whom. In other words, it's definitely no Tenchi Muyo or Love, Hina.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
As a manga reader it's hard to get excited for the series because there's no way it's going to have a conclusion. Even if it goes with an anime original ending I don't see them pairing Yuki with one of them or the rabid fangirls of whoever "loses" will whine and whine.

Personally I think if both male characters stay alive by the end of the series it's obvious who will end up with who even with recent revelations taking into account. Also sub is out now.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of how people want to categorize this series, the first episode was awesome! This is probably going to be my new favorite of the season. We've needed a good new vampire series for a while. It seems to be fairly faithful to the manga so far as well.

I don't think we should automatically assume this show won't get a decent conclusion, especially if rumors of the manga finishing up soon are true. Either way, I hope it doesn't go the route of Furuba and gets wrapped up nicely. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm definately looking forward to the ride either way.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga (although I have been interested in doing so for some time now), but just watched the first episode and I liked it (the BGM especially). Wasn't great, but it was good enough to pique my interest. I'll continue watching this series.

BTW, the school uniforms rock. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I haven't read the manga (although I have been interested in doing so for some time now), but just watched the first episode and I liked it (the BGM especially). Wasn't great, but it was good enough to pique my interest. I'll continue watching this series.

If it continues to follow the manga, and it seems like it will have to, the story gets MUCH more interesting. Ep one is really just an intro to set the scene. To be honest, this story would never make it onto my masterpiece list or anything. It's not terribly deep by any stretch, but I'll be happy to enjoy it for what it is, a fun, sexy show with some drama, some mystery, and smokin hot vampires. Not every anime has to be soul searching. Sometimes it's just nice to sit back and be entertained without having to think too hard.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote
I know we have a few fans of the manga running around, so I figure there should be some Vampire Knight anime fans here too. I'm really excited about this series, because I have enjoyed reading the manga quite a bit. And it will be nice to fill in some gaps, because I know I have missed issues here and there and haven't gotten around to reading the GNs yet.

So far, it looks very promising too. The first episode did stick to the manga nicely and I'm hoping the rest of the series will follow. The one main thing I'm nervous about is having an "anime ending" because I'm pretty sure the manga is still on-going in Japan, which can lead to interesting things happening when an adaptation comes along.

But I'm going to wait and see what happens on that front and in the meanwhile enjoy the anime very much. I especially like that I can tell the background characters apart easier in the anime than in the manga, plus it looks like the Night Class might have a bit more presence/development, particularly Aido.

I also am so in love with Zero. Seriously, he is great. And he is voiced by my new favourite seiyuu, Mamoru Miyano (Light in Death Note, Takami in Ouran Host Club, Kiba in Wolf's Rain).

I also really love the EP, it's hauntingly beautiful and fits the series really well. I'm also very happy with how the anime looks so far, they seem to have really captured the beauty of the manga while making designs a bit cleaner for animating purposes.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
Didn't like the OP when it played during the trailer, but it has grown on me and I like it now. Mamoru Miyano nailed his performance of Zero and Fukuyama Jun was great as Aidou. Horie Yui did a rather nice job with Yuuki and as for Kaname... rather indifferent to it just like I am to his character. Personally dislike his character archetypes in situations like this. Was a pretty good 1:1 adaption of the first manga chapter though they included a couple of hints to make the obvious thing even more obvious. The ED was fine, I liked how it was done.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
While I'm not exactly a fan (haven't even seen a single page of the manga), I did see the first episode, and it was intriguing enough for me. I'll probably keep watching it for the meantime.

The show's cast definitely deserves some mention. Mamoru Miyano! Yui Horie! Jun Fukuyama! Gaaah, more than enough voice actor star power! Very Happy

Though, some of the humor, while actually funny doesn't seem to fit in so well with the show's mood, giving it a somewhat bipolar personality with transitions from gloom and doom to face-fault, blank-white eyes funny and back that seems just that little bit too jarring.

I also thought that the ED theme was pretty nice, and keeps with the mood of the show... My single complaint is that it somewhat sounds like ALI Project-lite.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
The out of place humor disappears rather quickly.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll quote what I said in the other Vampire Knight thread:

Jedi General wrote:

I too thought some of the humor was awkward, but I'm glad to hear that the series moves away from that quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
elloshiions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: Vampires
Plot Summary: Yuki's earliest memory is of a stormy night in winter, wherein she was attacked by a vampire... And then rescued by another. Now 10 years later, Yuki Cross, the adapted daughter of the headmaster of Cross Academy, has grown up and become a guardian of the vampire race, protecting her savior, Kaname, from discovery as he leads a group of vampires at the elite boarding school. But also at her side is Zero Kiryu, a childhood friend who’s hatred for the creatures that destroyed everything he held dear, is now determined never to trust them. This coexisting arrangement seems all well and good, but have the vampires truly renounced their murderous ways, or is there a darker truth behind their actions. Is Kaname's infatuation with Yuki the beginning of a forbidden romance, or is it something in her forgotten past that draws him to her. Because in this world of secrets, nothing is as it seems. And the price of misplaced trust may even be worse than death.
Episodes: 26
Manga Volumes: 8 (and ongoing)

[credits to: www.animenewsnetwork.com]

-------------------------
the anime has recently come out while the manga has been out first.
i live in the US and currently, it is up to manga volume 4.
i was really excited to know that the anime was coming out and recently watched it too by the subbers, forgot which group though.
since the more recent volumes of vampire knight hasn't been released yet, i found translators who have translated the manga into english. i was curious so i downloaded them and found out too much..

okay, fellow fans and everyone else. how do you all feel about the anime, manga, characters, art, etc. etc.? who are your favorite characters? what secrets do you want to find out?
let's talk about all of that here =]

my favorite character is zero. the couple i want to be together is actually zero and yuki too.. haha, what about everyone else?

------------
i couldn't find a topic for this, so i'm making it. if there is one, please feel free to delete it. =]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56461

Here is the topic on it. No doubt these threads will be combined shortly, since the one I made was put together with it as well.
Masayume

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'm sure LaLa has released extra chapters, but volume 7 of the manga just came out in Japan less than 10 days ago, so it's not up to 8 officially just yet.

I've been keeping tabs on the manga here and there where I can but somehow it hasn't really grabbed me. So far Vampire Knight is the longest work that Hino Matsuri has released, so maybe it's a little more slow going. But I finally got around to watching the first episode just a little bit ago and it definitely took a minute to adjust too. The animation style was way different from what I'm used too and I didn't know what to expect since Hino's artwork is so detailed. Translating that into much simpler style that could be animated must've been interesting.

I'm fairly happy with the first episode, I love the music, the styles, and the seiyuu choices. Of course the comedy is a factor that got to me too since it just didn't fit with the mood that the series is supposed to set, especially later, so I hope that either gets toned down or gotten rid of.

I must be the strange one in that I actually like Kaname... don't really know why but I do. But it's more like choosing between the lesser of two evils since I'm not entirely enamored with either Zero or Kaname really hehe. Give me Aram anyday Anime hyper
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Watched the second episode earlier today and it didn't impress. It was more of the same old same old. I really hope it gets better soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7