• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.D. Vision to Auction Surplus Office Supplies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Uh, the auction is being held AT their warehouse, but I'm pretty sure that all that furniture and computers came from their main offices.

At least last time I checked, you didn't tend to furnish your warehouse with Ikea desks and cubicle partitions. (or 50+ telephones).

But why would they bother to re-set up workspaces if all the stuff came from another location? You're right, I'm sure some of that stuff came from another location (ie all the stacks of filing cabinets and the CTR monitors) but all the desks and furniture in my office building are the same that are in the warehouse attached to my building.

To be honest, it's probably because they were forced to vacate their offices and they've set up temporary shop in their warehouse, which is the only place left.
jeffk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just the PiQ staff stuff.

That doesn't sound snotty does it?
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
jeffk wrote:

That is about my guess.

ADV shut down PIQ a couple of weeks ago, presumably that would have left them with a lot of office related furniture to either
Store
Junk
Sell
Assuming they didn't own/have other plans for the building they were in, and the office wasn't rented furnished.

From a purely business point of view, it costs money to store, and even costs money to junk, so unless it's low volume/high cost items you try to sell or give it away (and make something back).

As I said on AOD, i've seen it happen even when companies are just moving to a new location, the cost of transporting the furniture from one office to another can be more than they are worth to the company, let alone storing them long term (taking up what is often valuable space), when you've shut down a department.

It's sad that ADV closed down PiQ and that people lost their jobs, but disposing of excess furnishings after that isn't something that should really be a surprise if they are vacating a rented/leased office that is no longer required.
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
ADV is at death's door if Kevin Gifford's comments are true:

Quote:
It wasn't a wholly unexpected closure -- the parent company is more-or-less run by the creditors at the bank, my 401(k) got cut off a couple weeks earlier and health insurance was undoubtedly following soon after, and the office was more empty and barren than most of New Mexico -- and I'm already just as busy with assorted freelance work.

(To get an idea of the state my old company is in, notice how they still haven't taken down our web page, with the final entry from the creative director placing all the blame for the closure on mismanagement up above. Ooooh burn.)

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/06/column_game_mag_weaseling_wher_1.php

Last edited by rg4619 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vesca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This is all stuff from their small warehouse offices. they still have humongous offices full of plenty of desks elsewhere. It makes more sense for them to get rid of the stuff taking up space than to keep storing it.

This doesn't mean they're going down in flames, just that they don't have room for those desks and other stuff at their main offices.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I get dibs on the stapler.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I think this, combined with the number of new licenses/releases by ADV (0, to be precise), and the re-releasing of thinpaks that are already out is a good sign that ADV might be going the way of Geneon. It's too bad, but I think the person who talks about buying singles is right. Yes, it is a little pricey, but anime is an expensive hobby. If you can't afford it, then you shouldn't be complaining about it. As Chris from AOD has in his signature, Anime is not a right. You can't afford it, don't get into it. Those of you who wait for sales/boxsets to go on sale, you're not contributing to the health of the industry. At that point, the company is trying to recoup it's losses, not making a profit. Sorry you don't make enough to afford your hobby, but that's life. Yeah, it's unfair, but it's also the truth.
jeffk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Kevin's post is full of venom. He's pissed and lashing out.

The US anime industry is transforming and ADV along with the rest of the licensees are adapting. The strong companies will survive and ones operating on a shoestring will disappear. It's business.

If you have a house full of stuff you don't use mightn’t you have a garage sale? It may be the same thing at the home of ADV.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I get dibs on the stapler.

But....but...the red stapler....it is mine....

================================

Still, I don't feel sorry for ADV. Or any of the Anime companies right now. I think the last DVD I purchased new was Black Lagoon Volume 3 and i'm still pissed that nobody has bothered to pickup the series and release the damn DVD's already. I know they have to make money, but come on already!! I have cash waiting, release the damn DVD's already!!

Not to mention the oodles of Fansubs I have stored on my 5 Portable Hard Drives. If the companies will just find some common ground and release shit, then they wouldn't be in this jam!!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

If the companies will just find some common ground and release shit, then they wouldn't be in this jam!!

Amen to that. I think with Geneon's departure many people and companies thought: hey, if the fans see one company go out business they'll buy out of fear. It didn't really happen that way.

They're still trying to do things the old school way, and frankly they seem tp don't give a damn otherwise.

I'm still buying what i can, i've stuck to sales the past few months instead of whats new. Because really, you never know if they'll just cut mid-release anymore.

As for the office supplies... They should make some money from that right? No big deal. As for the idea of paying top dollar for something used? Yea Right. Its not my job to bail them out of their troubles. if they were actually trying to help themselves, that would be a whole other issue.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Tsuzuki Love wrote:
daedelus wrote:

Now, more than ever, ADV needs the singles to sell. Yes, the cost of living(gas in particular) is up and so there's less disposable income, but so many people had that knee-jerk reaction to their licensing issue and stopped buying singles in lieu of a thinpak down the road, and it's killing the company.

People who can afford it, I implore you to, for now, stop waiting for thinpaks of series that haven't finished releasing in singles, and buy those singles.

Um, based on his/her location the probability that this person works (or worked) for ADV is extremely high, so if you're going to scoff at what he/she has to say you're pretty much hammering a nail in ADV's coffin.

It's actually kind of ironic, since it was ADV who started the whole cheap thinpak thing a few years ago when they were desperate for quick cash. They created the monster that is killing them.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Nilrem wrote:
jeffk wrote:

That is about my guess.

ADV shut down PIQ a couple of weeks ago, presumably that would have left them with a lot of office related furniture to either
Store
Junk
Sell
Assuming they didn't own/have other plans for the building they were in, and the office wasn't rented furnished.

From a purely business point of view, it costs money to store, and even costs money to junk, so unless it's low volume/high cost items you try to sell or give it away (and make something back).

As I said on AOD, i've seen it happen even when companies are just moving to a new location, the cost of transporting the furniture from one office to another can be more than they are worth to the company, let alone storing them long term (taking up what is often valuable space), when you've shut down a department.

It's sad that ADV closed down PiQ and that people lost their jobs, but disposing of excess furnishings after that isn't something that should really be a surprise if they are vacating a rented/leased office that is no longer required.
Yes, Nil this is exactly the case.

Would everyone here please stop trying to blow this out of proportion? Look I know alot of people here have a personal vendetta against ADV films, but please take it somewhere else.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Will every one stop the doom and gloom. The whole economy is changing. First does any remember that ADV not a few months ago Had Kiba announced. Adv is downsizing and they need to do this. They lost alot of money with Sojitz so inorder to recover from that They needed to downsize and redirect. I believe that ADV will weather the storm. Also I think that thinpackes are the way to go. Single I think are what actually sent the companies in to this issue along with cost of series to get. I wish everyone stop it with the doom and Gloom
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
jeffk wrote:
Kevin's post is full of venom. He's pissed and lashing out.

The US anime industry is transforming and ADV along with the rest of the licensees are adapting. The strong companies will survive and ones operating on a shoestring will disappear. It's business.

If you have a house full of stuff you don't use mightn’t you have a garage sale? It may be the same thing at the home of ADV.
Vesca,Abstract and Jeff: You all make excellent points here. The most likely case with this auction s that ADV is movig it's office back To W Sam Houston Parkway, and that it's making more space because of shutting down PiQ. Why are we the only ones here with common sense to know that this article is no big deal is and only means that ADV is moving it's office again?

There is no evidence here that ADV films is facing any bankrupcy at all. Have they annouced losses? No. Has Sojitz annouced they are pulling out of ADV? No. Has any of it's current recent titles gone out of print? No. But many of thier older titles from 1998 and earlier have, but this is the case with alot of older titles with anime companies since those licenses are outdated. My assumption, is the layoff are pertaining to PiQ and not to the company.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
Will every one stop the doom and gloom. The whole economy is changing. First does any remember that ADV not a few months ago Had Kiba announced. Adv is downsizing and they need to do this. They lost alot of money with Sojitz so inorder to recover from that They needed to downsize and redirect. I believe that ADV will weather the storm. Also I think that thinpackes are the way to go. Single I think are what actually sent the companies in to this issue along with cost of series to get. I wish everyone stop it with the doom and Gloom
I agree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8