• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ga-Rei-Zero (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solot58

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen 9 or 10 yet cause i cant find em, but i will say that even though the ending has already been determined by the first 2 eps, its still very interesting and has caught my eye as #1 for this season seein as how Kuroshitsuji is disappointing and Casshern Sins is gettin really emo and nothing is bein answered STILL...cant wait for 9 n 10 tho
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, this show is spoiler[crack]ing dark! I didn't watch episodes 6-10 until the last few days, but seriously, dark. It's beautifully done though, great art and direction. I never read the manga, so I have no idea what's "meant to be" in this series, but it's definitely the best of the last season.
Ra17eN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
I do not know about you guys, but I'm hoping that in 2009~2010 the original manga will be animated. As for Ga-Rei Zero I think that is quite good. The art is good and the storyline too.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching episodes 9-12 in order to avoid the agonizing wait due to cliffhangers. Is it safe to say this entire series was one of the biggest surprised/sleeper hits for the Fall season?

spoiler[And anyone who has seen the end of Kannazuki no Miko, episode 12 pulled that particular one WITHOUT the epilogue which means while Yomi and Kagura did confess their love for each other, Kagura still killed her, and Yomi is pretty much stayed dead. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad]

And this offcially makes Ga-rei Zero a true prequel of the Ga-rei manga series (which I heard the manga is totally mediocre).
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Is it safe to say this entire series was one of the biggest surprised/sleeper hits for the Fall season?

Based upon 10+ episodes, I can agree with that claim. Certainly not the best series of the fall, but certainly much better than I ever anticipated. I wasn't all that interested in the series in the first place, but the cliffhangers at the beginning were great hooks to keep me moderately interested until I discovered: "Hey, this is actually a pretty good series!" I'm eager to finish, but today is Sunday and that means there's football to watch! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
..And this offcially makes Ga-rei Zero a true prequel of the Ga-rei manga series (which I heard the manga is totally mediocre).

I quite agree and was pleased how it ended. I love the fact that spoiler[Nimura Kensuke from the manga appears at the very end.] This alone makes me want the current manga be animated as well to go along with Gai-rei Zero; the series just seems too short for me.
It could be coincidental but, its a nice christmas gift to the fans that the final episode was during christmas week as well as the latest OST collection album right in christmas day. To top it off, I'll include the scene close to the very end where spoiler[Kagura gives Ken her previous sword (Michael 12) as a christmas gift]. A nice touch in planning Smile
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, although in reading the first volume of the manga, I much prefered the anime. I liked Kagura's short haired look better, and I liked her better as spoiler[a kickass swordswoman than as someone who fights like her dad did. Even her fight with Yomi in which she was using both Michael 13 and Byakuei was more interesting than just whipping the dragon around and occasionally using the chain.]

I'll keep reading the manga though and hope for improvement.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Just finished eps 6-12 today. I must say that while I'm impressed by the series ability to draw one in with almost nothing happening I was very dissatisfied with the direction and almost everything but the OP. I just couldn't get the attachment to Kagura or Yomi that the series REALLY wanted me to have. Although I did like some of the questions the series asked. Definitely better than it could have been.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Is it safe to say this entire series was one of the biggest surprised/sleeper hits for the Fall season?

Based upon 10+ episodes, I can agree with that claim. Certainly not the best series of the fall, but certainly much better than I ever anticipated. I wasn't all that interested in the series in the first place, but the cliffhangers at the beginning were great hooks to keep me moderately interested until I discovered: "Hey, this is actually a pretty good series!" I'm eager to finish, but today is Sunday and that means there's football to watch! Smile

I guess I was grasping hope (as a bunch of yuri fans were too) that spoiler[Yomi will be saved by Kagura somehow. Yomi descent to darkness and then her ultimate demise was seriously painful for me, and it has been a LONG time I've been utterly depressed at the ending.] I think I got over it, but then I had to check this spoilerific fanart:

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1230608964239eg2.png

This series along with Clannad After Story are the only Fall season shows I've enjoyed immensely.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, having now read the first volume of the manga I suppose nobody who had was surprised by the ending (assuming it met up with the manga), since Yomi is spoiler[the reoccuring villain in the manga, in an even more demonic form.]
orochimaruSanin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Final thoughts on the series: It was decent one; not too good, not too bad. The finishing touch of spoiler[Kagura becoming a strong girl who doesn't think twice before slaying a demon no matter which form it is in was pretty good. I was expecting a lot more of Yomi and Nori chan but I guess that's wishful thinking.] It would be interesting to see the next season[?] with spoiler[a bit more chemistry between the new boy and kagura] and of course a lot more *sensible* monster slaying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3