• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Casshern Sins (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i personally was disappointed with the ending, it didn't resolve anything at all. spoiler[he just continued to let Luna heal people (one of them i'm assuming is Ringo), so the cycle just continues. also what did they do with Luna's DNA? they never actually explained the plot point] overall it was a good series, but the ending left a lot to be desired.

Well, my impression is that the plot point was spoiler[to make the difference between realising that "ruin" affecting solely your "hardware" is a major source of despair, but accepting death as part of the natural cycle of living, enjoying life till it last, or making 60 worthy seconds of one passing minute, is vibrant raison d'etre, and, for several, hope. So this is why I believe Ringo grew on her own (outgrowing her safety handband in the process) and didn't resort to Luna's services, and this is why Oji didn't attempt to make another unnatural artificial interruption (by using Luna's DNA in any manner). The series took the time to tell us about humans and robots happy with what they do while living/functional and why they chose and cherished their life sparkles instead looking for an ultimate remedy against death. And while we saw that such cure is far from being potent, as much as being a questionable necessity, death is inevitable and, in fact, scarier and more brutal when misplaced.
On the other hand, with Casshern making this clear to Luna, he didn't rob all those robots from the world of yesterday from seeking their own hope in, this time, living. It's a very smooth and valid end of housing concurring views of life - something rarely seen in anime these days Smile]
This is why I think it's excellent.
solinari67

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is spoiler[that single screen of Casshern after he leaves Luna, when he lets out that howl. What the hell was that? Was it him dying? Was it a flashback to the moment before he "killed" Luna?" It was such a strange final glimpse of a character.]

Anyone have any insight to share?
Wellness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
solinari67 wrote:
The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is spoiler[that single screen of Casshern after he leaves Luna, when he lets out that howl. What the hell was that? Was it him dying? Was it a flashback to the moment before he "killed" Luna?" It was such a strange final glimpse of a character.]

spoiler[
Pretty much I saw it as his final appearance as the "new" angel of death. Where as before, he was a sleek near perfect looking creature, now that his helmet hood is torn he isn't as pleasent to look at which befits one who represents death. He has given up attempts at real living in order to restore balance to the world in which he helped throw out of wack.

Although Ringo's explanation at the end leaves a lot to desired and out right questions. I took Cassherns message to Luna at the end to mean, she shouldn't keep trying to make immortal individuals and turn away those that couldn't be completely healed to perfection, lest he comes back to kill her.

But the way I read Ringo's message, apparently Casshern will go about killing those that grow to old?]

Overall it is still a very good series, had its problems especially with reusing some battle scenes but a better watch then some of the shows out there.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
solinari67 wrote:

Isn't it how he spoiler[usually heals and regenerates from his wounds, with extreme pain and howls?]
Rolling Eyes Although, it might be also connected to his awakenings and sealings.
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Wow. I wasn't expecting much from this series, but somehow the narrative kept me going. I felt rewarded when I reached episode 18. From then on, I was blown away until the end. So rare to find a series filled with such interesting conceptual ideas. Probably the best word that describes Casshern Sins is unique. Unique design, unique fighting, unique setting. At least for today's standards. It's hard to believe that this TV series sustained such a high level quality animation throughout the entire 24 episodes. Comparable to the GitS TV series.

Since we can't view the original 1973 series, it was extremely interesting to watch the old opening and ending animations. How Casshern and his fighting choreography were kept while Luna's design was altered drastically. Friender... wut?

I usually don't pay much attention to voice actors, but this one was definitely way above the average. Really interesting that the VA for Braiking Boss was the same for the original 73 series. IMHO they made the perfect choice for Luna. I didn't recognize her through the entire show, but it made incredible sense once I saw it was Akiko Yajima, actress who played Dorothy from The Big O.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
I loved this series from start to finish. It's got some gorgeous art direction, very good animation, a compelling, if a bit cryptic storyline with a great message (Mike On Top summed it up quite nicely), and a wonderful score. It has just about everything I like to see in an anime. Makes my Top 5 List for 2008 at #3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dbowers21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
ok, this much i understand: spoiler[ringo was leda's child, lyuze died, the reason why the world was so messed up was because casshern "killed" that which gave life I.E. luna. so my question is this: did casshern die in the end or did he just go off into exile again in case the world ever needed him to remind them of that there is no such thing as eternal life. i personally think that by luna stabbing him, he was stripped of his eternity and then died so the world would go back to normal. just a theory. if anyone else has any idea, let me know thanks. ]
Tratious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
can anyone here tell me if the japanese blu-ray set has english subs on it and if the quality is really really good?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
can anyone here tell me if the japanese blu-ray set has english subs on it and if the quality is really really good?

I'm fairly positive the Blu-Ray is not English subbed. But I'm also fairly positive that the HD picture is balls-to-the-wall awesome.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Casshern SINS is simply gorgeous. Surprising that series has consistent high quality art & animation all the way trough. Having Post-apocalyptic theme and involving robots that have lost their eternal life Casshern SINS explores question of life and death, as isn't "life" a mere "existence" in a world with no death? Only by obtaining "death" one can truly live?

Be prepared for Mushishi pace, as you will find a fascinating story about confused Casshern trying to uncover his past in a dying world where robots and humans alike are desperate to grab any opportunity to survive; remember to treat action as supplement to story, this is no Gurren Lagann. I like music a lot too, reminds me of InuYasha... good times Wink

I highly recommend this series: it is stylish, captivating, has rather slow progress, but for those who like thought-provoking series - you just might love it. A Masterpiece, in my humble opinion.

Episode four spoiler[features Sofita, a cyborg that doesn't know feelings and is innocently seeking battles to prove that she lives. As silly as it sounds I believe that this episode is one of the best short stories any series can have. I wish I could see more of Sofita.]
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
I'd give the series an 7.5-8/10

The animation quality ranged between below average and gorgeous, but the pretty moments were truly worth having to sit through the less spectacular stuff.

The music fit really well too.

As for the story, well, I enjoyed the side stories a lot, but the main storyline, imo, failed. The series got the athmosphere spot-on, and the side-stories were really touching, and contributed. However, the incessant fighting scenes (You know "Kashaon wo korose" can get boring pretty damn quickly) kind of dragged, especially since they were mostly nothing new.

So, back to the main story. Well, most of what Mike On Top holds in terms of meaning, but I can't overlook the places where it went wrong. Well, first of all, the little melodramatic love story was completly unnecessary, not to mention cheesy. Neither did it work in the framework alredy set up in the story. Second, the very ending came off as a lazy cliffhanger. Of course, it can also be interpreted as a very vague Japanese-style ending (aka no ending), but seeing as Cassehern spoiler[fails to fulfill his objective, and chickens out instead of trying to help the world, pretty much leaves the whole matter unsettled, neither helping anyone, nor atoning for the sins.]

One can of course incessantly argue about the meaning, but the series could've been given a more satisfying ending.

Also, in the character development department, the series did a pretty poor job, leaving most characters except for Cassehern pretty static. Of those, Dio and Leda were most disappointing.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
I'd give the series an 7.5-8/10

The animation quality ranged between below average and gorgeous, but the pretty moments were truly worth having to sit through the less spectacular stuff.

The music fit really well too.

As for the story, well, I enjoyed the side stories a lot, but the main storyline, imo, failed. The series got the athmosphere spot-on, and the side-stories were really touching, and contributed. However, the incessant fighting scenes (You know "Kashaon wo korose" can get boring pretty damn quickly) kind of dragged, especially since they were mostly nothing new.

So, back to the main story. Well, most of what Mike On Top holds in terms of meaning, but I can't overlook the places where it went wrong. Well, first of all, the little melodramatic love story was completly unnecessary, not to mention cheesy. Neither did it work in the framework alredy set up in the story. Second, the very ending came off as a lazy cliffhanger. Of course, it can also be interpreted as a very vague Japanese-style ending (aka no ending), but seeing as Cassehern spoiler[fails to fulfill his objective, and chickens out instead of trying to help the world, pretty much leaves the whole matter unsettled, neither helping anyone, nor atoning for the sins.]

One can of course incessantly argue about the meaning, but the series could've been given a more satisfying ending.

Also, in the character development department, the series did a pretty poor job, leaving most characters except for Cassehern pretty static. Of those, Dio and Leda were most disappointing.

*facepalm* You completely missed the point of the show. spoiler[There was never any clear objective for Casshern. It wasn't defeat the evil witch and save the day. The whole show was about the struggle to reconcile life, death, and purpose. Ultimately, we find that life lacks purpose without death, whether it be by making us live every day to its fullest because we know we eventually will run out of time (i.e. Gramps, Ringo) or having Casshern as an ever present phantom of death for the people who want to live forever. Perhaps you didn't like the ending because it didn't spell out everything the series wanted you to take away from it like most mindless action shows do.] I'd go on to explain all the little things you called disappointing or bad, but I have a feeling that if you can't appreciate the main theme, you won't be able to appreciate the love story, the short stories that made up most of the episodes, or Dio and Leda.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Casshern spoiler[fails to fulfill his objective, and chickens out instead of trying to help the world, pretty much leaves the whole matter unsettled, neither helping anyone, nor atoning for the sins.]

Casshern atones for his "sins" throughout the whole series. First, he is immortal and being hurt in battle is twice as painfull since his recovery hurts him all the same. Casshern has to bear with all blame and hate aimed at him - numerious assasins who won't let him live in peace.spoiler[ He also had to watch his friends die; Lyuze perished right in his arms. In the end despite being immortal Casshern is in rather pitifull state: he can't live in the word's true meaning, he can not die nor will ever fully understand what fear of death is, and now he is a part-time shinigami.] Bravo to the Casshern SINS for showing that eternal life can not only be a bliss, but a curse as well.

Also I'd like like to add that Dio and Leda proved to be very interesting couple. They started as simple villains but turned out to be much more. spoiler[Both of them had a certain goal: for Dio it was to defeat Casshern, who was always one step ahead of him; for Leda it was eternal life, beauty, power and even family. Eventually Dio reached his goal and discarding "eternal life" Leda was so desperate to achieve as useless.] That makes them alive, painted in shades of gray, just trying to survive and satisfy their ambitions.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:

*facepalm* You completely missed the point of the show. spoiler[There was never any clear objective for Casshern. It wasn't defeat the evil witch and save the day. The whole show was about the struggle to reconcile life, death, and purpose. Ultimately, we find that life lacks purpose without death, whether it be by making us live every day to its fullest because we know we eventually will run out of time (i.e. Gramps, Ringo) or having Casshern as an ever present phantom of death for the people who want to live forever. Perhaps you didn't like the ending because it didn't spell out everything the series wanted you to take away from it like most mindless action shows do.] I'd go on to explain all the little things you called disappointing or bad, but I have a feeling that if you can't appreciate the main theme, you won't be able to appreciate the love story, the short stories that made up most of the episodes, or Dio and Leda.

I think you didn't read the post and hurried to argue back before reading what exactly I criticized. FAIL. Well, try again. And facepalm yourself next time.

I mean, what I though was BAD about the show were EXACTLY the times where it actually got further from contemplating the meaning of death and started throwing in the more cliched sequences like the melodramatic story, the overblown fight with Dio or any cheesy acton sequences. You could find some meaning in those, but ultimately it's what they were - lazy decisions.

Hentai_JP I guess you could look at it that way - the process of living the effect of your sins as the atonement (more like the Type-Moon-ish "live with the sins because there's no way to atone for them"). I was, however, under the impression that Cassehern personally was trying to change smth. Otherwise the whole ark with him seeking Luna and all the plot twists connected with it had no meaning whatsoever. I mean, it was a cool idea and all, to show how perverted the ideas of death and life became, but I didn't really feel like that in any way contributed to the viewer's or Casseherns understanding of the moral conflict.
Wellness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
I agree the show is a 7.5-8 rating.

I thought the story was ok but what hurts the series is that you can tell later on that they used most of their money on animation in the front half of the show. The back end despite going for cheaper and more art house visuals managed to wrap thing up nicely, but I do have some issues with the plot.

Chief issues being:
spoiler[It is a shame that the Luna/Casshern/Ruin issue still was never fully explained.

Did Luna just heal like Casshern did or was the Luna at the end truly a NEW Luna?

Was or did the Ruin ever stop? Since early in the show it was described as slowly eating away at all existing robots/life and keeping newer ones from being created, but later portions of the series showed life appearing in certain places and then there was that very strange episode with the robot kids and the lab.
]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4