• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Another (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Fastest dropped anime in years. Couldn't even make it through the OP.

But I sort of have FAP syndrome to blame that for.

I guess you really don't like them, huh? Enough to not watch a show because of it? Man, that's dedicated dislike. Gotta respect it though.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
I guess you really don't like them, huh? Enough to not watch a show because of it? Man, that's dedicated dislike. Gotta respect it though.

That OP is seriously horrendous, though. The last time I watched an anime featuring Ali Project (Book of Bantorra or Phantom), the sequence was at least same-old same-old.

This one's a whole new level of boring, equally visually distracting yet unappealing, and the whole oh-wait-it's-still-an-Ali-Project-song-oh-god-why-would-you-do-this-to-me-PA-Works-I-thought-this-was-going-to-be-your-swan-song-anime-after-all-the-other-phoned-in-crap-why-would-you-start-it-like-this factor

Also the presence of dolljoints and and Ali Project all over the same OP sequence had me wondering about Rozen Maiden S3, but that's another point all together.

I'll finish the episode some day later, though, I'm sure.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
How the hell can you seriously rate an entire anime b its OP, and what you are going by the artists, you don't even know the words.

You had problem with doll joints, the doll thing is supposed to be represemtitive of something that is meant to appear human, but the doll joints betray them. The imagery is all done on purprose: A creepy shool hall way, we know something is up with the school (pre show story), we have title on a white back ground, this looks menacing.We have a fewenviroments, that seem to get creepier the further we go, an open coffin, an eye that sees a different image every time it blinks. Several events that we don't know the reason yet, then the MC passes by the ghost girl, crowes stire (they are sort of international representation of death), the jostle of a doll, then a mystery house. Finally we are given the title again, but this time to a black background, this is even more menacing than before, but the line through the "A" actually dissapears instead of appearing, what does this mean?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
It is initially the only series from the current season except from Last Exile that I wanted to see... So please please turn out to be a good series! I do not want to waste time on another mediocre anime this time around.

So far I am not thrilled, but it is only the first episode, so I hope that at least it will be creepier...
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally got round to watching this. Turned the lights off and everything!

I enjoyed it. The soundtrack was a particular highlight. It reminded me of the original Ringu, which I watched back when we had videos and VCRs. It's a minimalistic approach and it creeps the hell out of me. Because of how understated it was, I was able to buy into the atmosphere more.

The animation was as good as I'd expect from PA Works, they do tend to draw very pretty scenery. Storywise I was put in mind of Ookamikakushi (and the obvious Higurashi) insofar as the wider community is hiding something from an outsider. We've seen it before but I've not seen it done this well. I think both the aforementioned series had some sort of 'occurance' during their first episodes (I'd have to go back and check, but I thinkspoiler[ Rena was the end of episode one for Higurashi and the wolves were revealed during episode one of Ookamikakushi]). Here, not a lot happens but we see a lot of potential for things to happen. Again, it's not what happens that creeps me out, it's what's hinted at. When they leave so much to your imagination then you actually decide how much you scare yourself. It works for me!

All horror is subjective because different things push different buttons for different people. So far, this one's pushing mine with a rusty pole and a bunch of creepy porcelain dolls.

(Edit: Oh, I totally skipped the OP. As soon as it started up I was like, really? Seriously? I guess since most of the budget went on the actual show, they dropped the OP in as an afterthought? It's terrible.)
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Storywise I was put in mind of Ookamikakushi (and the obvious Higurashi) insofar as the wider community is hiding something from an outsider.
It seems if they wanted to hide something, they'd take some countermeasures to deal with new people. I mean, in Higurashi, they told Keiichi not to ask some questions or go certain places. Oishi took advantage of the fact that he hadn't been indoctrinated to stir up trouble.

In Another, they even have someone designated for the job but they actively prevent her from telling the main character what he needs to know. Is their plan "hope he's not the curious type"?

I doubt my patience for this kind of gratuitous, meaningless mystery is sufficient to make it through the show.

Creepy doll shop > haunted house. Take note, culture festival high schoolers!
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Thinkgs do not look good. I do not mind operating with tropes, but come on! It was just irritating to see the main character a-l-m-o-s-t finding out something important, but someone interfering. Rather than more curious, it made me loose interest a bit. Although mind you, he does not really seem to care and is not really bothered by all the whispering behind his back.
Well, at any rate I hope that spoiler[the eyepatch] will reveal some sort of amazing mystery in the next episode.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Well, at any rate I hope that spoiler[the eyepatch] will reveal some sort of amazing mystery in the next episode.
Do you honestly expect anything about the spoiler[eyepatch] to be revealed next episode? I doubt he even remembers the event.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was nice. Too bad they ended the episode spoiler[without showing the eye and I doubt they even show it next episode. It will probably just show his reaction. I bet its just an empty socket or an evil eye]. I liked some of the dolls, I didn't think they were creepy. I thought the Mei one looked very cool.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok so Mei was a single child who's death devestated her parents, can we guess that spoiler[the doll shop owner might be her mother, or conected in some way.] It is good that Kouichi actually suspected that Mei might perhaps that Mei is a ghost, and decided to look into it, pluss I am actually enjoying the fact that he keeps getting blocked, adds some mystery. Seems likely that spoiler[his mother was in the same class dureing the incident, perhaps the doll being conected might be reference to being so close.]

I have a tendency to really enjoy bits from horror movies and games, but I am so easilly scared from them that I find it hard to enjoy them. Anime on the other hand is so hard to scare that I can enjoy the elements with minimal effect. The increasingly fuzzy phone call was pretty cool in my opinion, kind of reminds me of Silen Hill series, Similarly the dolls remind me too. The flashing lights, dark hospital are also bits that I really enjoy.

And leaving the cliff hanger befor even a reaction, how is that not the perfect place to leave the eppisode?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I haven't tried watching a horror anime in a long time and this one has been successful so far because I haven't dropped it yet. I think the last time I tried watching one of these I stopped halfway through the episode because it was that bad. I think they are overplaying the music a bit but I guess when it comes to unsettling people with anime (as opposed to live-action) you don't have much of a choice. It's a bit cliched, but I'll bite and continue watching. Hopefully I don't end up regretting it.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
I’m going to take a stab at solving the mystery behind this show.

**I have no knowledge of this show beyond what has occurred in the first two episodes, but I’m going to use spoiler tags just in case I am right or on the right track.

First theory: spoiler[Sakakibara’s father was the male teacher in the class photo during the introductory dialogue of episode one. Basically, he got Misaki pregnant, killed her and made it look like an accident. Fast forward a few years and the father gets Sakakibara’s mother pregnant. However, Misaki’s ghost won’t allow anyone else to raise a child by Sakakibara’s father, so she kills Sakakibara’s mother.]

Second theory: spoiler[In the introductory dialogue it was stated that the incident involving Misaki occurred 26 years ago. However, I do not believe we were told in what time this conversation takes place. If this conversation is taking place at a later date, it could be possible that Misaki is Sakakibara’s real mother.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
This show is beautiful to look at. Pity it is so insanely dull. I do have a horror of tedium but I'm assuming that's not the kind of horror the show wants to inspire. Damn P.A.Works - they make the background artwork so mouth-watering that I can't stop watching this.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think the crawling pace is perfect for this show. I understand people being impatient, but things are progressing. They keep ramping up the creepy without giving anything away, and that just piques my curiosity more than anything else.

I think trying to solve anything at this point is redundant, there's been so little established in terms of concrete fact. We're not even sure who belongs to which faction, or if factions even exist. No wonder people are dropping this already Rolling Eyes

Me, I love this sort of thing. It's been ages since I watched a good slow burner. It's been very good for creeping myself out so far, and that's probably what they were aiming for. I really can't criticise people for disliking it, I can totally see where they're coming from. I just happen to disagree, is all Very Happy
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
My problem isn't so much that it's slow, it's that it's artificially slow. I never felt this way about Ghost Hound, and I don't even think anyone would complain about that show moving at all, much less moving too quickly. But it never felt like the show's creators were saying "Wait, wait, we can't move forward, so come up with something to slow things down" like they do with Another. The "convenient interruption to prevent things from being explained" is old and looks cheap, and destroys the incredible atmosphere as effectively as the writer strolling in front of the camera would.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 34