• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Entertainment to Distribute Samurai Champloo 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
are the forums alive again?

update: They're alive! They're alive!

The database server decided to get sick. I really don't think it had anything to do with server load, but I'm not sure, because rather than diagnose the problem, I just fixed it.

Mysqlps for teh win.

-t
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
According to my watch December 31st lasts 24 hours.

New Year's Eve is not over.

Wink

Lance
FUNimation's cheeky monkey

You crazy Texans and your 24-hour days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
lheiskell wrote:

Wink

Lance

No! They're in the central time zone so it's a 25 hour day!
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
My lord.

I tend to start away from this peculiar word since it's quite offensive, but looks like I'll have to rely on it to get the point across...

You people are absolutely godamn retarded. All you're doing is whining and moaning about GOOD news. What Funi is doing is rescuing shows from the grave...yet you're bitching because a show or two that isn't in yet, but will inevitably be IN...is lacking in news yet?

...Even a frickin Chimpanzee would flip you off for this kind of logic, and more specifically, this childish level of impatience.

They WILL get announced! If you haven't noticed...they're stocking in announcements at the speed of a bullet train! Calm the fudge down!

Last edited by Who Is This Guy!? on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
What about all the anime that should been licensed? In the end only three new animes were newly licensed from Japan... But still, I will check out some of these shows such as: Ikki Tousen, Nabari no Ou, Oh! Edo Rocket, The Count of Monte Cristo, Slayers Revolution, and Gungrave... The rest are just... blah... In my opinion.

If you are smart, I would stay away from Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny. It was just another pure fanservice series, so unless you're really into ecchi shows with no plot, stay away. It's essentially season 1 all over again. Season 3 is the one to get if anything.
Count of Monte Cristo and Slayers Revolution are good ones to in terms of new series. Gungrave is meh...watched it when I was too young to be watching such a bloody series...so it didn't really appeal to me, nor am I a huge fan of shows with too much blood (few exceptions like Higurashi and Elfen Lied)
Nabari no Ou is okay....not fantastic though. Lots of yaoi implications though no in depth yaoi relationships overall. Haven't seen Oh! Edo Rocket so I won't comment.

sailorsean wrote:
But what about all the other anime that should have been licensed/ should have been on the list??? For example: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone, Soul Eater, Seto no Hanayome, Mushi-Uta, Hell Girl 2, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers, Kanokan, Rosario to Vampire + Capu2, Shuffle! Memories, Kanon (2002), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, Moyashimon, Monster, Murder Princess, Natsume Yuujinchou, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Shankugan no Shana Season 2 + Movie, Shugo Chara, Ah! My Goddess TV Special OVA (2007)

Let's go off the list one by one. Eva 1.0 from my guess is the most expensive license on the market. With this economy, I don't think Eva 1.0 will be licensed at least not until late 2009 at the earliest. Let alone, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 are not due for release for a LONG while. So essentially 1.0 would be sitting on people's shelves for years, by then interest will have been lost. Funimation is probably waiting until all 4 movies are out before licensing.
Soul Eater, no comment as to why they didn't license this one. The only reason I can see is because Bandai may have their eye on this one. Looks like their type of series
Seto no Hanayome, too random of a license I think. Don't know how to respond
Mushi-Uta...this show was just not good at all. It had potential, but did not deliver what it should have. I would stay away if I were Funimation
Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori: Funimation may be waiting for Season 3 to finish/turn out. Season 3 essentially destroys every climax at the end of season 2.
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS: They haven't released A's yet, plus it's still not under their control. Geneon still has Nanoha and A's license if I'm not mistaken. Rather pointless to pick up this license right now
Kanokon: This show is bad, and if they were to market this thing, it would probably have to be rated a hentai here in the US (especially those dvd specials). It has a lot of lolicon implications along with nudity (Nozomu being the primary example plus the ninja twins). Lolis + nudity + US = crime unfortunately. This is more of a Media Blasters show anyways. Not to mention this show was really bad.
Rosario + Vampire: Don't even get me started. Despite Nana Mizuki playing the lead role here along with her awesome singing in both season 1 and 2, this show does not cut it. It's like Ikki Tousen essentially with slightly less fanservice. You're better off watching Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun if you want succubus love.
Shuffle! Memories: recap of entire series of Shuffle! with extra episode. Waste of money to even consider.
Kanon 2002: Probably ADV instead since they have the 2006 version already...also probably a waste now since 2006 is already released...it would only get a bashing from the public for lower animation quality Crying or Very sad
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai: They'll probably get this eventually...but again Geneon still has the official license to the first season...Funimation is possibly waiting to rescue that license first before touching this and Rei.
Moyashimon: never seen so I won't comment
Monster: stopped watching so no comment
Murder Princess: Funimation already has acquired this from ADV
Natsume Yuujinchou: never seen...all I know is there is a second season coming January 2009
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: seen but no comment. Funimation though didn't strike me as the type of group to license this series. Also, it's possible that most of the jokes made in this series would be hard for US viewers to understand sometimes.
Shakugan no Shana II + Movie: Movie would be waste of time. It's a recap of first 10ish episodes of the first season. Second season was trash. Plus Shakugan no Shana is still under Geneon, still no rescue.
Shugo Chara!: Mahou Shoujo anime. Funimation knows it probably won't do well and is avoiding these genres (past experience with Sasami Magical Girl Club?). This is why you don't see things like Moetan and Nanatsuiro Drops getting licensed.
Ah! My Goddess 2007: no idea.

I do notice however that the anime that Funimation has licensed/rescue don't seem to be that expensive...animation quality for most are not very high either except Monte Cristo and Nabari no Ou and to some extent Slayers Revolution (but they were bound to get the last two anyways).

CCS definitely should have been a rescue or should be at some point...problem is the American audience has already been exposed to the trashy cuts and edits done by 4Kids and that would probably hurt sales rather than help for the most part.

Anyways, we're back to samurai + comedy...typical non-otaku american shows <_<

Quote:

You people are absolutely godamn retarded. All you're doing is whining and moaning about GOOD news. What Funi is doing is rescuing shows from the grave...yet you're bitching because a show or two that isn't in yet, but will inevitably be IN...is lacking in news yet?

Actually I would prefer for these shows to not be rescued, the license to expire, return to their Japanese companies, and then these dvds are worth a fortune Anime hyper since they'll no longer be in print

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Wink

Lance

True enough, and with that in mind, I can put off my opinion that this whole thing was a rather epic fail. Only thing I slightly cared about was Gankutsuou...and I own it already, and seeing as it plays perfectly still, I'm not going to double dip.
v1cious

Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
My lord.

I tend to start away from this peculiar word since it's quite offensive, but looks like I'll have to rely on it to get the point across...

...Even a frickin Chimpanzee would flip you off for this kind of logic, and more specifically, this childish level of impatience.

They WILL get announced! If you haven't noticed...they're stocking in announcements at the speed of a bullet train! Calm the fudge down!

??? i don't see any whining. in fact, Lance just hinted that something big is coming.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 am; edited 2 times in total
GreenDragoon

Hurrah! Now I can finally own one of my all-time favourite series on DVD—something that was never even a possibility when the earlier, improbably expensive boxed set was released by Geneon.

Now, if only they'd release a similar box of Haibane Renmei (I appear to be one of about three or four anime fans alive who doesn't give a damn about Evangelion :-p).
Calculusman

Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
My lord.

Didn't you know? Probably 90% of all conversation on the internet is complaining. People get motivated to complain but not to compliment. Look at this thread and others like it. 2/3 of the people are here to complain and the other 1/3 are here to complain about the other people complaining. Laughing
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
Wow... I really do not like this show...

And to top it off, I actually already own it. Such massive fail is overbearing....
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:

True enough, and with that in mind, I can put off my opinion that this whole thing was a rather epic fail. Only thing I slightly cared about was Gankutsuou...and I own it already, and seeing as it plays perfectly still, I'm not going to double dip.

You have the most interesting definition of 'epic fail' I've ever heard.

More great anime out on the market and buyable? What a horrible, horrible situation. The Maginot Line of licensing.

"My God Funi, how about just giving me syphilis next year!"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

No! They're in the central time zone so it's a 25 hour day!

What do they do with that extra hour?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty pleased with what they've announced so far just a bit surprised. Gungrave, Last Exile, Vandread and Samurai Champlo are all awesome series which I have yet to own and glad I will have the chance. Don't forget folks that its not new years eve yet.[edit:oops I've stated up to late]
Most logical choice would be soul eater, unless bandai picked up that one.

Last edited by GeneralArrow on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
The only problem with this is that, as an owner of an anime blog, I'll be pressing reload all day since I have no clue when they'll actually announce anything else Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry

GeneralArrow wrote:
I'm pretty pleased with what they've announced so far just a bit surprised. Gungrave, Last Exile, Vandread and Samurai Champlo are all awesome series which I have yet to own and glad I will have the chance. Don't forget folks that its not new years eve yet.

Um, yes it is lol. (I think you mean that New Years Eve isn't over yet...)
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
The only problem with this is that, as an owner of an anime blog, I'll be pressing reload all day since I have no clue when they'll actually announce anything else Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry

GeneralArrow wrote:
I'm pretty pleased with what they've announced so far just a bit surprised. Gungrave, Last Exile, Vandread and Samurai Champlo are all awesome series which I have yet to own and glad I will have the chance. Don't forget folks that its not new years eve yet.

Um, yes it is lol. (I think you mean that New Years Eve isn't over yet...)

Oh really? May I ask what your blog is Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9