• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
His and Her Circumstances (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ucnslowdnce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The first half of the series, I really enjoyed. At the half-way point, it ranked up there with all the other series I hold to high regards. But then, the series just went down hill with the exception of about three episodes. (Three of which hardly even focused on Arima and Yukino.) The recapping and lack of animation just got on my nerves. I might as well have read the manga with all the manga visuals they used. Especially with the last episodes. Sheesh. The relationship between Arima and Yukino also started to get annoying, because it was always something else and they hardly ever just kicked back and enjoyed it. I expect drama with a series like this, but not to an extent so pathetic. I was really disappointed that what started off as a good series just faultered like that. At least the opening and closing stayed catchy from beginning to end, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I think to around episode 18 it was good, after that it felt a little contrived, the relationship had reached its terminal point and unless they wanted to add a big shake up for the last few eps(which they didn't) I felt it could have ended there or maybe in one or two episodes.

but I really loved the constant switching between chibi/super deformed and that kind of cutesy, rounded shapes style and the regualr as well as the more drawn sketchy images which worked quite well despite being largely still shots with camera panning. In fact that style has got me looking at buying Azumanga Daioh as it looks cute too.

so yeah it was good, it just went on a bit too long, kind of like Eva...that series could have stopped at around episode 20 with better planning rather than spending 6 epidoes at the end rushing through the information they probably should have spread throughout(too much suspense and time ran out so it got rushed through) that might have made it infinately more intelligble too.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching this on On Demand ( ~ ep 10). Although it's rated excellent on ANN, I was a little uneasy about picking this up because I read that Hideaki Anno (the director; also did Evangelion) quit half way through and it went down hill.

So far, with you guys, it seems about 50 -50 wether it's worth the whole ride, so I'll stick to it on On Demand (until they quit showing it).

I love Anno's work. Some people don't appreciate his use of panned still images and scenery vice character action, but I find it artistic and more aesthetic especially when there is a character narative (which Yukino does alot!).

I don't think I'll be checking out the manga even after watching the last of the anime. I prefer the comedy side of it.

@sayo-san, thanks for the post. It seems that nobody here wants to talk about older shows that the newly initiated anime fans are just getting into...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
elaruqui

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
well i also like Kare Kano, because i like the story a lot, but the only thing i dislike about this anime is that there are time when the pictures are not detailed.. I mean the part when there is this black and white pictures and you know what.. But still it's a really good one! everone should take a complete series.. Laughing

By the way i like Souchirou (please. forgive me for the spellings) a lot actually...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
[Edited to recant slight flaming and quasi-BSM material. Gecko is right, and I'll let the mods decide if thread topics are becoming too repetitive.

As for Kare Kano, it was towards the beginning of my anime acquisition era--I bought it essentially blind, based on word-of-mouth and reviews. More than anything else, I enjoyed the mood that each episode created--sitting down at starting with the "close to TV" warning with its distinctive music, I knew that I was in for some good drama, romance, and comedy with almost every episodes. Unfortunately, the recaps, sidestories, and derailed ending moved Kare Kano down a few notches, but I don't regret watching it, especially since the first 18-22 episodes or so are great--you have the high-intensity drama, but combined with the trademark insanity and weirdness of Gainax, with super-deformed characters and every other animation experiment in the book.

Plus, the DVDs from Rightstuf, while lacking a bit in video quality, are great products with tons of extras, a reasonably good dub, and excellent value, since it's quite rare to see any 24-26 episode series on 5 discs. (Ai yori aoshi, 24 on 5, is the only other one I can think of.)

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:53 am Reply with quote
As much as I loved it, I have to admit that towards the end it gets a little strange. Not only the story itself (which gladly recovers smoothly in the manga), but specially in the animation style.

I don't really remember the exact episode (I think it's around 19-20), but you know that episode in which sometimes spoiler[the characters are simple pencil-made drawings, cut and hold with a stick? That's what I'm talking about]

But of course, this can't deny the magnificiency of the whole argument.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Any post from sayo- san wrote:
[Name of series] [opinion on series] If you have seen [name of series], please feel free to post a reply about it. All comments, either positive or negative, are welcomed. if they are negative, please have back up reasons why. Saying "because" is not a reason. I don't mind anything that is said about the show, and I am looking foward to all of the comments posted.

Is it just me, or is essentially the same thread being repeated over and over again?

That may be true (I haven't seen the rest), but if not for this one, others and I would not be aware of your valuable incite. If it's true then perhaps a mod will lead sayo-san in the right direction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched Kare Kano for the first time myself. I also had very mixed feelings.

I thought the first 4 eps were pure genius-- very funny (in a situational way, rather than generally being slapstick), truly romantic, yet intelligent and insightful without melodrama in an overblown way. Music was very good. Animation was minimal, but the manga-ish feel worked, and was such an over-riding theme that it seemed an active aesthetic/artistic choice, rather than one dictated by budget (although I'm sure it was that too).

I thought up to ep 12 or so was still good, but I saw less of Arima and Yukino together, and that was what was really drawing me in.

Then I watched eps 13-18, and I just lost all interest. The animation was very obviously full of stills, and there was more focus on side characters than I cared to have-- I was into this show because of the romance between Yukino and Arima, and that became, oddly, a side issue. Whenever they got together on screen, the show came alive for me again, but I just felt myself waiting and waiting for that to happen. I eventually started fast forwarding through some episodes even. It's not that side characters were really badly done-- it just wasn't what I wanted out of the show, which was a _romantic_ comedy. Perhaps that's all my fault because of my viewing expectations, but that's how it was for me.

Still, I thought the first 4 eps were sooooooo good, that I took my DVD, burnt them to my computer, edited them together with crossfades, cleaned up the video a bit, cut out all the annoying recaps, made a menu, and burned myself a DVD of the first 4 eps as a movie. It works _perfectly_ as a movie. Its the right length-- about 82 minutes or so. Its got a great story arc. It's all about Arima and Yukino, very romantic and very funny. Plus, oddly, the first 4 eps had a cohesion to them that the rest of the show lacked-- all the shots of the traffic lights changing colors and the repeating motif of the faucets and rain spouts either spilling water or being very dry only runs through those first 4 eps, then they disappear. I also kept the Act 1.0, etc. titles as sort of "Tarantino"-esque narrative devices. They work really well, and that's where a laid my audio crossfades.

Anyways-- I just thought those first 4 eps were amazing-- so amazing I learned video editing to make a movie out of them, but after that the show just never really regained that special magic for me. There'd be spots here and there I'd love, but never that flawless, full episode length run of quality that the first few eps had. Sad

Still, got the movie, which is still my favorite anime romantic comedy of all time. So that's cool.... Cool
deedeedee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
What you think about the ending of Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou?
You like this anime?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
while most people say it feel apart around episode 15/16 I disagree, I was still perfectly happy to watch it up to around episode 18, but once they had actually reached that point in their relationship it felt now like they were just killing time to make it a 26 ep series. They could have been far more succint and condensed the last 8 or so episodes into 2 or 3 as not much actually happens in any of them
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
deedeedee for future reference, you're supposed to include your own thoughts when you post, rather than just say "what do you guys thing about so-and-so?" I agree with hentai4me in that they stretched out pointless parts a little too long. There was so much of the same stuff and a lot of re-cap material as well, making for what seemed like a waste of time in a series. I think they probably could've told the same story (and left out the part about the Okinawan guy since it was a little pointless and weak IMO) and done a better job in only 13 episodes. I nonetheless enjoyed the series since it seemed quite realistic with the protagonists' feelings and series of events, and had an enjoyable balance of light-hearted and serious storytelling.
deedeedee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:33 am Reply with quote
I will try but my english is not so good. Sorry !
I watched yesterday all the episodes and i like very much the first half of them, after the ep 18 i want see more about Miyazawa and Arima but they appear togheter rarely.
The ending was a little dissapoiting and boring. For me this wasn't and ending, after I see the episod 26 i still got the impresion that i don't have all the episodes. This anime have a second season? They stick togheter?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote
actually I want to know if the Manga continues on with the story rod eos a better job of it than the anime?(I assume it does as manga's tend to)
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
The manga definitely does continue past the anime. It seemed like the production staff just got lazy and stopped trying to make something decent with the anime. If you want to continue the story, start with volume 8 of the manga.
Asuka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
Masami Tsuda(Author of Kare Kano) was unhappy with the way the anime was being done. She wanted it to be a romantic comedy with more focus on the romance. Anno and the other people working on the anime wanted it to be focused more on the comedy. That disagreement is one of the reasons that the anime never got a second season.

The anime went until about halfway through volume 8 of the manga. The manga ended last year with 21 volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7