• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation.com Streams 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morefunthanlaw
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
As much as this sucks for Funimation, I somehow find it heartening that this many fans are stepping forward with suggestions and alerts on security problems.
Heck, yeah. You guys rock!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
As much as this sucks for Funimation, I somehow find it heartening that this many fans are stepping forward with suggestions and alerts on security problems.

Yeah, but if they don't do them, we might as well be talkin' out of our arses.

vashfanatic wrote:
Funimation can put some into place so that we can get our FMA back. I'm okay with waiting for Hulu if I have to
No, I am absolutely not ok with that. I do NOT want to be punished for the actions of a few not-so-nice-people from Horriblesubs/Idiots at Funimation.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
No, I am absolutely not ok with that. I do NOT want to be punished for the actions of a few not-so-nice-people from Horriblesubs/Idiots at Funimation.

So you're not ok with it being posted somewhere where it won't be stolen and getting taken down? How is that a punishment?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
DrX wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:
I don't think anyone's worried about Phantom since 10 is the last episode.

Phantom is slated for 26 episodes.

http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/1571

also: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10541&page=25

I was going by the listing at:
anime#10541

"Number of episodes: 10"

Either it was initally slated for 26 and was canceled, or ANN's page is wrong.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Okay maybe it is just me but is anyone else having trouble playing the video? I get the commercial and then just a black screen. I thought maybe it was because the newest video just wasn't ready yet but I can't play any of the older ones now either. I didn't see any announcement that they removed the FMA videos again (although maybe they did because of the leak last night). Anyways clarification would be appreciated.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Anyways clarification would be appreciated.

It works just fine with me (using Firefox). Though, after the ad is gone, it gives me a split second error message, but then it's loaded completely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I was going by the listing at:
anime#10541

"Number of episodes: 10"

Either it was initally slated for 26 and was canceled, or ANN's page is wrong.

Someone submitted "10" without proper source. I've taken the number down. However, DrX was not entirely correct either; the syoboi page he provided has listed 13 episodes (for the first arc). The total number of episodes has not been 100% confirmed.

Last edited by dormcat on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

It works just fine with me (using Firefox). Though, after the ad is gone, it gives me a split second error message, but then it's loaded completely.

Thanks, well then I guess it is just me and I have no idea why. I tried on Firefox and IE. My adobe flash settings are up-to-date too. But it seems I am only getting the ad. I now see a little red error message on the top left corner.
darkstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Well, I've been trying to get back into the FMA:B videos and it's apparently down again. All that comes up is this:

The FUNimation Video Portal is down for maintenance.

guess they're not done fixing the issues yet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
State of the Industry - Hackers Try to Derail Legal Simulcasts
RACS Weekly Newsletter

Last Saturday evening some of the Anime news sites started reported the following:

"Funimation Entertainment, which, with the cooperation of Toei Animation, was planning to simulcast a subtitled version episode #403 of the One Piece anime series at 9pm (CDT) on Saturday night, just one hour after its Japanese premiere, has announced that their servers were hacked, and that the hacker posted episode #403 online. Funimation issued the following statement on Saturday, "As a result of this illegal act, all U.S. and Canadian fans will be deprived of access to this great anime series for the immediate future. We will make every effort to locate and prosecute the perpetrator(s) to the fullest extent of the law and will provide updates regarding this most serious matter." Funimation and Toei's plan to make new episodes of One Piece available within an hour of when they air in Japan was the latest development in a growing movement to make anime available online legally even faster than fan-subbed versions can be produced, but it appears that the actions of one individual may have jeopardized the entire program."

Funimation ended up canceling the One Piece simulcast for now, probably at Toei's request, but it seems the trouble had just begun. On Wednesday reports of more bootlegged episodes were coming in:

"A group discovered a copy of the Phantom -Requiem for the Phantom- anime's episode 10 on a publicly accessible server of the anime distributor Funimation, and then illegally redistributed the episode on Wednesday - almost a full day before the episode premieres in Japan. The downloadable copy contains Funimation's logo and English subtitles. This episode was supposed to premiere on Japanese airwaves on Friday morning at 2:15 a.m. JST (Thursday at 1:15 p.m. EDT). Funimation would have then officially streamed the episode on Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CDT (Thursday at 2:00 p.m. EDT). Some of the previous episodes of Phantom were also available on a publicly accessible server of Funimation shortly before their Japanese broadcast premiere times."

Nothing ever goes as planned in this business, and it seems that the fan subbers and hackers, not content to wait for the broadcast release of an Anime before quickly subbing it and uploading it to torrents within hours, have now resorted to breaking into secure servers in order to get the episodes online even BEFORE they are broadcast in Japan. But there is more to this that simple bragging rights to get a show posted before anyone else.

The studios, and the industry in general, are in a real pickle as to how to monetize Anime content online until they find a way to deal with the fansubbers, pirates, bootleggers, torrent uploaders, and now hackers. Navarre, Funimation's parent company, released their earnings this week, and reported a pretty significant drop in revenue as expected. The interesting thing is that they did not break out Funimation's sales numbers in the reports this time around. This is the first time they have not used Funi's sales as bragging rights in their earnings release, and the day after the numbers came out Cary Deacon (Navarre's CEO) was busy doing damage control by talking about Funimation's 'big move to digital' and how great it's going to be for the company's bottom line. While it's Cary's job to be optimistic about whatever plans they are implementing, the hacker situation seems to suggest that monetizing digital content is going to be much more challenging in an environment we're even 'free' is not cheap enough for a certain portion of the fan community. One blog contributor made the following point:

"We now have evidence that even day-of-release streaming is not satisfactory for the fansubbers who have taken over the anime industry over the last 3-5 years. They want *full ownership of the content* -- nothing more or less. Any monetization process [by the studios] would require some degree of willingness (not to mention 'ability') to control the content to the point of defending the financial value of the product."

The irony here is that some fan-sub groups actually see legal online content as a threat to what THEY do, and will apparently go to great lengths to derail any efforts by the studios to provide quick, free content online - like licensed subtitled simulcasts. We have truly entered into the bizarro universe... Smile

Seems to me that there are opposing views on this subject.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Jesus.

As someone just mentioned Funimation definatly needs to outsource this to a professional people who can handle this.
Did someone say Crunchyroll.com

Seriously, it looks like Funimation's gross negligence will end up having a negative effect on Crunchyroll and other other potential legal stream distributors who are doing it the RIGHT way.

I dare to wonder how much of this was truly an honest mistake on Funimation's part. -_-
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Well, it's Zero Hour. Funi needs to step up to the plate and get the portal back up today or the entire Brittish fandom (as if they haven't already) will move to fansubs and those bupa ads won't be worth shit.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Jesus.

As someone just mentioned Funimation definatly needs to outsource this to a professional people who can handle this.

Seriously, it looks like Funimation's gross negligence will end up having a negative effect on Crunchyroll and other other potential legal stream distributors who are doing it the RIGHT way.

I dare to wonder how much of this was truly an honest mistake on Funimation's part. -_-

What's funny is that Crunchyroll, rather than taking huge steps backward due to freshman mistakes, appears to be moving forward, as they are offering or are now poised to offer HD Streaming, according to this article:
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2009-06-09/crunchyroll-implements-akamai-to-enhance-dynamic-digital-experience-of-content-to-its-customers
One reason I think Crunchyroll will be unaffected by this is that they evolved from a fansubbing company. Having been on the dark side themselves, they know how it operates, and now that they're legit, their site is armed to the teeth with ultimate weapons against fansubber guerilla tactics.

But I think this article is referring more to Hulu, YouTube, and the like. Hulu appears to be doing a successful job with 480p streaming of older and newer series alike and has been for several months now. As for YouTube, they're kinda stuck between the two worlds, as they offer plenty of legal anime choices from FUNimation, Bandai, Kadokawa, and others, but also show a plethora of AMVs and other sendups of anime of questionable legality. But these "fan videos" are usually just considered clips, and it's due to the origin of YouTube that they are allowed to persist. Also this has led to some interesting deals; several companies have made deals that allow them to earn ad revenue whenever one of their shows' videos is clicked on, whether or not they uploaded it. I have heard Kadokawa is one of those companies. They gave into the phenomenon as far as YouTube is concerned, and it remains quite a bit more popular than torrenting: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Oh yeah, and of course, rather than having its own streaming feature, Bandai opted to use YouTube, and currently they're showing DUBBED Kurokami a week after it appears in Japan, and no one is complaining about leaks because YouTube is too smart to screw it up and they're doing everything right.

As for the future of Fullmetal Alchemist, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They didn't let the show leak before it was aired in Japan, unlike One Piece and Phantom. Hopefully their upgraded security system will go live tomorrow and feature the safest feature yet or possible: not uploading episodes until about 5 minutes before they go live! We can only hope...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Jesus.

What's funny is that Crunchyroll, rather than taking huge steps backward due to freshman mistakes, appears to be moving forward, as they are offering or are now poised to offer HD Streaming, according to this article:
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2009-06-09/crunchyroll-implements-akamai-to-enhance-dynamic-digital-experience-of-content-to-its-customers
One reason I think Crunchyroll will be unaffected by this is that they evolved from a fansubbing company. Having been on the dark side themselves, they know how it operates, and now that they're legit, their site is armed to the teeth with ultimate weapons against fansubber guerilla tactics.

What in the world are you talking about?

Crunchyroll wasn't founded by fansubbers. It was founded by Berkeley grad students.
And it isn't "armed to the teeth"... Maybe the reason there haven't been any leaks from CR is because they know how to run an online business. It has nothing to do with their history of fansubs.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
I asked Funimation about it and they said they're working as fast as they can but the portal's been down for over a week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5