• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Alternative Couples Sure to Touch Your Heart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Lets go through this point by point:

5. George and Yukari

I haven't watched this, but eargh, "George's bisexuality, a fact that is more prominent in Ai Yazawa's manga, is a non-issue" Well yeah, he ends up with the woman. I don't think "Bi male and straight female getting together" is particularly alternative.

I'll touch on this one, but it requires far more spoilers than I wanted to put out right in the column. The two date, obviously, but they spoiler[don't end up together]. The 'alternative' point that got their mention on this list is less George's sexuality, but the progressive relationship roles that they embody. Ai Yazawa revisits the point early on in NANA when "Hachi"'s boyfriend refuses to let her play housewife and insists that she gets a job to take care of herself.

Many mainstream shoujo relationships focus on a girl falling for a guy and focusing on developing all the skills to become a good housewife and win his heart. While there is nothing wrong with that choice, it's one that is over-represented in shoujo romance. George and Yukari's relationship is heartwarming because despite the fact that spoiler[they don't live happily ever after], they teach each other to grow as people and pursue their dreams and potential.

Ok, thats pretty interesting, and the only one I wasn't personally familiar with.

That being said, I still find this list highly problematic and thematically muddled, and probably could have been more interesting as several separate lists.

Edit: Also the complete lack of any couples from Simoun is highly disappointing.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Lets go through this point by point:

5. George and Yukari

I haven't watched this, but eargh, "George's bisexuality, a fact that is more prominent in Ai Yazawa's manga, is a non-issue" Well yeah, he ends up with the woman. I don't think "Bi male and straight female getting together" is particularly alternative.

I'll touch on this one, but it requires far more spoilers than I wanted to put out right in the column. The two date, obviously, but they spoiler[don't end up together]. The 'alternative' point that got their mention on this list is less George's sexuality, but the progressive relationship roles that they embody. Ai Yazawa revisits the point early on in NANA when "Hachi"'s boyfriend refuses to let her play housewife and insists that she gets a job to take care of herself.

Many mainstream shoujo relationships focus on a girl falling for a guy and focusing on developing all the skills to become a good housewife and win his heart. While there is nothing wrong with that choice, it's one that is over-represented in shoujo romance. George and Yukari's relationship is heartwarming because despite the fact that spoiler[they don't live happily ever after], they teach each other to grow as people and pursue their dreams and potential.

Ok, thats pretty interesting, and the only one I wasn't personally familiar with.

That being said, I still find this list highly problematic and thematically muddled, and probably could have been more interesting as several separate lists.

Edit: Also the complete lack of any couples from Simoun is highly disappointing.

I considered Simoun, but I haven't seen it in its entirety so it would be difficult for me to gauge how it affected me on an emotional level, which is one of the core elements of this list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
@octopodpie: Ah~ Thank you for the confirmation.

Now, back to this "gay from the beginning" rumor. Off-topic, yes, but I wanted to add to it.
Of course, I need an actual document from Hideaki Anno or anyone else from the original TV series stating this, otherwise, this is nothing more then spread of mouth.

There is a big difference between being gay for one person err...Angel and being a bi/pansexual.

The former implies that there is only one guy Shinji likes and (once he's gone), he'll never like any other male (still has to worry about Asuka/Rei/Misato). That seems pretty shallow for a series that deals with depression, self-isolation, and much more.
The latter, to me, implies that the sex/gender of whom Shinji likes never matters and that all he ever wanted was someone to care for him for simply being himself (i.e not having to perform some task in order to gain affection). Plus, the latter will get rid of those "Kaworu was created just for fanservice" rumors I'm hearing from other people.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It's the first time I've heard of it (the rumour that Shinji was supposed to be gay), so colour me surprised.

oh it's been around bit and few people gainax love trolling fans with that... hell check out this psp game clips below they did for fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuK5DSEF4I4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26VFYHj1dY

I'm already far convinced that there was subtext that hinted toward Shinji being gay for Kaworu, but I, too, am wondering where Anno and/or the rest said they planned him to be gay from the beginning and then changed it. I'm not saying that it's not true, but one of the big psychological factors for Shinji is his hormones. Making him gay could still work, but it just seems far too important for him to be surrounded by females and get his hormones going that way first before making us question his sexuality later on.

Hmm who really knows, when your at that age talking to and trying to be open some one of the opposite sex is hard as hell unless you can find some to relate to "I know that feeling all to damn well". I think shinji personally related to rei the most in the series "no it's what it's not what your thinking". Still he also opened up a lot to kaworu in the short time they did spend together. At this point it could go either way in the new movies but on subject, the subtext has been there and gainax just loves teasing people with it as shown above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

This list has Shinji/Kaworu

But, Like I said. They have to be pretty pops, like be known in the mainstream, pretty much everyone is pretty known if they are not cannon.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

They get their good end, though Chikane's methods left something to be desired

spoiler[ They did die twice, after the credits they get their happy end but there's tragedy ]

Quote:

I have firm confidence that Kyouko loved Sayaka, even if she only realized it at the end.

Kyoko totally loved Sayaka, but Sayaka didn't love Kyoko back that way. They became friends in one timeline, buut on love it was always one sided on Kyoko. Sayaka always loved that lil' whatshisname.

Quote:
I'd say they are up in the NanoFate HomuMado levels

With yuri fandom yes, in mainstream not. Like even young people knows about NanoFate and HomuMado but not much about Noir... unfortunately.

Quote:

So? They're a couple.

The list is "famous" and mainstreaming, or at least like recognizable. They are not as remarkable as the others.

Quote:

Not even remotely a ship. They are a couple. They had the first on-screen kiss in Horizon, and are listed as "lovers" in their character profile. They are also confirmed to be actual lovers in the "have sex with each other, regularly and vigorously" sort of way.

I'll give you this one. I didn't watch enough to know they went as faar so my mistake. Then again this series from the very beginning was too ecchi and ecchi and heart warming is haard to put together.
I mean, I like ecchi and all, but very rarely it can be considered both inspiringly romantic and ecchi at the same time, at least with the mainstream, and this editor was all about the romantic aspects of the relationships.

I keep my stance that most cannon romantic relationships that are recognizable of the two title characters in yuri most of the time end in tragedy, or rape, or with a guy in an alternative universe. The functional ones are ecchi and/or hentai. Which is not bad, but are hard to mainstream.

Like in all and all the only functional main character driven relationship that is healthy, happy-end, heart warming and enough enough romantic therefore mainstream is NanoFate. The rest do have some of the issues mentioned before. Not that I don't like them, I love most of them, specially the tragic ones. But, I would really like if Yuri could be more gentle with their characters and make them end up together in a healthy way...like in Nanoha...

Then, again I would prefer any of the above over Juri x Shiori 'cause really wats up with that.
kamui85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
wow, im familiar with 6 couples/series on this list out of 8. ShinjixKaworu and TouyaxYukito were really important pairings for me during my teenage years (1999-2002). They made me feel like anything was aceptable in anime...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
What is the concept for "alternative" here? Other than YukarixGeorge they're all gay couples, what's alternative about that? Or are we back in the 1920's and I didn't notice?

When I saw "alternative" couples, I thought of other Card Captor Sakura couples, namely the professor that proposed marriage to his 10 year old student. Though it would seem that, since that's a heterosexual couple, it's pretty much normal by this list's standards

Last edited by CrowLia on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I'd say they are up in the NanoFate HomuMado levels

With yuri fandom yes, in mainstream not. Like even young people knows about NanoFate and HomuMado but not much about Noir... unfortunately.

How is being "mainstream" at all relevant? Several shows on the list are far from being "mainstream" by any stretch of the imagination other than "well, it aired on Noitamina, even if pretty much nobody watched it." Pretty sure Noir was at least as mainstream as Hourou Musuko or Aoi Hana. It's just "old" so a lot of new fans aren't going to be familiar with it since the show hasn't remained in the fandom consciousness the way a (very, very, very, very) few have.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
I also have to disagree with the shinji thing. I have seen all the visual media, ie shows/movies, plus I read angel days an alt. version of the story, and at most its one sided from the light haired fellow. I mean Shinji clearly has a thing for Rei, although I think him pairing with Asuka is more likely.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I mean Shinji clearly has a thing for Rei, although I think him pairing with Asuka is more likely.

>shipping

Shipping in Evangelion is a futile endeavor anyway.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
I think this is a pretty solid list.

One honorable mention I would add are Hana and Gin from Tokyo Godfathers. Their relationship is adorable and definitely not something you normally see in mainstream stories.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I also have to disagree with the shinji thing. I have seen all the visual media, ie shows/movies, plus I read angel days an alt. version of the story, and at most its one sided from the light haired fellow. I mean Shinji clearly has a thing for Rei, although I think him pairing with Asuka is more likely.

I just watched the series recently and I recall Shinji clearly saying he "loved" Kaworu, so I don't think one-sided it the right word for it. Even if Kaworu was around for a short time in the Anime, Shinji trusted him in a way he didn't seem to trust any other character in the show.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
What about the love that every boy has for his Giant Robot in every mecha anime? Very Happy

Actually, the first couple that sprung to mind was Kyoko Otanashi and Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku. How often do you get a show about a younger man pursuing an older, widowed woman?

I mean, maybe there are more anime examples of this relationship than I realize, and maybe by the time Natsuyuki Rendezvous aired it was a tired old trope, I don't know. But when I first read Maison Ikkoku, the adult, mature relationship slowly building between a still grieving woman and her younger tenant was a positive eye-opener. (And if Yukari and George count because spoiler[they don't get together] than Kyoko and Godai should count because they're two adults who work out their issues in a mature manner before they make a major commitment, which seems rare in any media these days! Smile

As for clubs, I thought about the Host club, but then I realized that as a member I'd have to do all the work. I'd rather be a customer of that club. So I chose the SOS Brigade because if nothing else, they'd be an interesting bunch to hang out with!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
I still want a Wandering Son blu-ray on my shelf; I love that show so much.

I've got a half-dozen of them on my shelves. Here's a link that might help you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Don't be a dick. I know you think nothing is subjective and we're living in FENCEDUDE'S WORLD but if you're a dick about this again I'm seriously going to kick you out of here for a good long time.

I have now explained my objections, at length. Ok?

Your objections are based on the fact that you are a straight man with hardcore lesbian fetish and the list didn't fit whatever is going on inside of your head. That isn't anyone's fault but yours for behaving this way as a result.

Most importantly that doesn't make you being a total dick to the author of the column OK. It also doesn't make you some kind of expert on same-sex relationships or the portrayal of them in fictional media. Lynzee did not present herself as the final arbiter of what does and doesn't work in depictions of same-sex or 'alternative' couples' in anime - this was a very personal list of relationships she found touching. Why is it that you can't conduct yourself with the same basic humility and respect? Or is that beneath you?

At some point you need to see outside of yourself and realize how it is you come across, and maybe have some manner of basic human empathy toward people who do not see and feel and think in the exact same manner you do.

You don't seem like a completely stupid person so what is it? Is your reading comprehension really awful? What is it, Fencedude?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8