• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CEO: Bang Zoom to Cease Anime Dubbing in 2011 Without Fan Support

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
And to everyone who wants their anime the very second it comes out in Japan (since I've seen like 3 people make their first posts here about that) - Move to Japan. Either that or stop whining.

Well said Gyt. Anime fans just don't know how good they have it now compared to back when I was buying my VHS tapes in the early 1990s.

Why should fans wait months to years for what they want when its readily available?

Law of supply and demand at work, folks. Doesn't matter if it's legal or not.

Last edited by Sophisticat on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikedfd2k

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I am mostly just sick of all the no talent hacks at funimation coming to conventions acting like they are celebrities. or talking like they had anything creatively to do with a show other then reading a script.

[Mod Edit: Stop trolling dude, seriously. Make a legit and valid point or don't make any at all. - Keonyn]
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Oh yes, please. Please stop producing those dubs so that I can get sub-only DVDs at a cheaper price.

Ever considered that maaaaaaybe people watch fansubs because they aren't interested in a dub? This is silly; Bang Zoom's threatening to stop supplying X because people are too busy consuming Y. Do they really think that those folks who are watching their subbed Japanese audio anime are going to go "Oh no, don't get rid of these English dubs that I never watch! Anything but that!" and comply? Not only is that arrogant, it's also amusingly misguided.

Also consider that nowadays, fans can view anime online completely legally (Crunchyroll, YouTube rentals, official streams), so accusing the fanbase of not enjoying your product because they're a bunch of pirate is not only bad PR, it's also bad logic.

Lack of interest in a dub is no reason to watch an illegal sub. Buy the damn DVD and watch your sub there.

That and, where do some of the sub-fans get this elitist attitude that, just because they don't like dubs, it's okay for them to go away and sadden fans who DO like them? I'm sorry, but that sadistic attitude is why I used to HATE subs. It's also that sort of attitude that makes me a dub fan and proud.

And again, only about 1 out of 10 people at most I bet (no actual facts, just my assumption, so go ahead and call me out for 'no evidence' - I'm already admitting I have none) can say they didn't get into anime through a dub they saw. So if you want anime to stop getting new fans through the next generation, be my guest, let dubs die out.

Sophisticat wrote:

Why should fans wait months to years for what they want when its readily available?

Law of supply and demand at work, folks. Doesn't matter if it's legal or not.

That's exactly the mindset that's putting the industry in the condition it is. You do realize that you're stealing it from those creators in Japan, not just who has it in the US, right? I'm sure they appreciate your eagerness even though they get no cash out of it...not.

mikedfd2k wrote:
I am mostly just sick of all the no talent hacks at funimation coming to conventions acting like they are celebrities. or talking like they had anything creatively to do with a show other then reading a script.

If you think it's easy to voice act, then by all means, let's see you do it. They get less respect than they deserve if anything (barring the psychotic fans who, yes, do go too far).

Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
This is unfortunate. BangZoom is one of the best anime dubbing studios, just behind Animaze.

I notice that a lot of the folks wh want the American market for anime to fail so they can make anime fandom some exclusive underground hobby like twenty years ago are posting in this thread.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't fathom why people expect that because domestic entertainment can be monetized without DVD sales, that Japanese imported entertainment can be as well. It can't. The market isn't big enough for that. Firefly had an audience ten times that of the most popular anime titles of the same timeframe in the US. There is no comparing the scale. We're dealing in a niche medium and DVDs are the way they can turn a profit. They tried streaming and simulcasts and they weren't making a profit.

Dubs will sell more product, it is a proven fact by the numbers. The average human being does not want to read subtitles and is not a sub-only fanatic. It is this elitist "purity of the art" mentality that is killing the US anime industry. Thinking that dubs are somehow inferior isn't going to help anyone. And thinking that one of the major dubbing studios abandoning anime dubbing entirely is not going to affect the industry for the worse is simply wrong. Less dubs doesn't mean all the licenses will go to sub-only releases. Less dubs only means there will be less profit because fewer people are even going to try anime in the future, shrinking the industry and the number of titles licensed in the first place.

If what these sub/fansub supporters wanted was to make anime an even more insular and isolated niche genre, congratulations. It seems you've managed to accomplish that. Now you can all sit alone in your elitist tower and pat each other on the backs. No one else benefits from this.

Last edited by Cait on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zero_Reborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I think the fansubs killing the industry is a minimal thing , i just think its the lack of shows on TV and the refusal for the Anime industry to evolve past the repetitive stuff they have been doing for years. Also when Anime DVD sales were at their best there were lots of anime shows on TV mostly with Cartoon Network leading the charge. After they dropped most of their anime everything started going downhill.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
huh.. now i kinda feel bad about hitting the 1 TB mark on my collection the other day.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Addmittedly, I hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree with the business side of this arguement. You can see it in a few posts already: I want it now, I want it cheap, and it's your job to make me happy mister anime company. I don't care if you can't make a living, or if it's legally difficult or even physically impossible, I want it my way NOW.

Maybe i'm just jaded in my old age. I remember my first Ranma VHS costing $50 for two episodes dub only (sub actually costed more). You get whole box sets for that now bilinguial. A year's wait? Oh woe is me. I might actually have to wait for something. As far as not knowing about a show, I guess ANN can stop with reviews because I guess people can't use them to make judgements. Even then, some of my favorite shows I bought "blind".

I do agree the industry needs to adapt in some areas, but fans need to accept anime will never develop the TV model. It won't be free to the audience without advertising, and frankly, any business might be hesitant to advertise on a medium whose fans won't shell out cash for the show they want, let alone the products they might not.
luhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

No more English dubs mean no more anime in America.

What are you talking about? Subtitled anime would still be released.

Anyway, I have a question. We have been told again and again that the majority of anime fans want dubs. You see it here every time a sub-only release is announced; a bunch of folks chime in saying they won't be buying it without a dub. So...if so many people want dubs this desperately, how can you say that fansubs significantly hurt sales? I have never understood this.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
lol @ the trolls Cool It must be feeding time.

It really would be sad to see another dubbing studio leave the anime scene. That leaves us with less than a handful of dubbing studios left. Well, I try to do my part, but there's only so much I can buy. Bang Zoom! did some of my favorite dubs too, like Moribito, TTGL, and Vandread. Got my fingers crossed they survive.

And anyone posting in this thread: please please PLEASE do some research before you post.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Redd the Sock wrote:
Addmittedly, I hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree with the business side of this arguement. You can see it in a few posts already: I want it now, I want it cheap, and it's your job to make me happy mister anime company. I don't care if you can't make a living, or if it's legally difficult or even physically impossible, I want it my way NOW.

Maybe i'm just jaded in my old age. I remember my first Ranma VHS costing $50 for two episodes dub only (sub actually costed more). You get whole box sets for that now bilinguial. A year's wait? Oh woe is me. I might actually have to wait for something. As far as not knowing about a show, I guess ANN can stop with reviews because I guess people can't use them to make judgements. Even then, some of my favorite shows I bought "blind".

THANK YOU. Finally a post that gives me hope. I'm not even that old of a fan really, I've only been in it since the 6th grade, and I'm only 20 (almost 21) now, and I still find how impatient fans seem to be now sickening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I bought a lot of anime dvds from a yard sale down the street. is that good enough?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Redd the Sock wrote:

THANK YOU. Finally a post that gives me hope. I'm not even that old of a fan really, I've only been in it since the 6th grade, and I'm only 20 (almost 21) now, and I still find how impatient fans seem to be now sickening.

I'm in the same boat. The, "make it faster" complaint is just so irritating. When I started with anime, absolutely all I had was what was on TV (which was only about 8 years ago), so complaining that something comes out too slow seems ridiculous.

Do anime companies need to go faster? Probably, but I'd rather they go for quality over speed.

Do viewers (I'm hesitant to use the term, "fan" when someone says they want a studio to close) need to cut the companies, both in Japan and elsewhere, some slack and understand that they don't NEED to watch everything immediately? Yes, without question.
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Hello! Cool

I believe that the reason that people don't want to buy just a sub version is that they have already seen it fansubbed. They may already downloaded it too which means they already have it.

I am a strong supporter of dubs. I could see this news coming because the companies like Bandai and others are going sub only. I feel that sub only releases are not going to bring in new fans to this industry.

I believe that the fansubbers and the fans who only watch fansubs are a big problem to this industry. They only show new fans fansubs which does nothing to bring new income to anyone in the industry.

I subscribe to Crunchyroll but I only do it because there is no other legal way for me to watch shows like Reborn! or the others. I prefer to have a DVD and a dub to watch and Crunchyroll does not offer that for me. I am sure that they make a profit but it can not be as big of one if they were to put their anime out on DVD with a dub and have it online like Funimation does.
dawgstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
mikedfd2k wrote:

Geez, dude. Chris Sabat apologized for kicking your dog, but to be fair, it was acting like a total douche.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 59