• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do NOT ask for Downloads! [Or Illegal Streaming Video Links]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
Fuyu, it's not so much the act of downloading that people are against. I think it's more so the act of requesting links and such to download from, particularly on this site.

ANN is a credible and very intricate website that posts all sorts of news and information concerning anime. However, since downloading is obviously illegal ANN witholds the right to filter out that kind of information, which in my eyes, shows the integrity all of the ANN staff has in just providing what the name says, "Anime News," meaning they won't host a bunch of illegal fansub or mp3 links.

People can download all they want, that's their choice. But to respect the stature and dignity of ANN, it would be best to keep every bit of information on the site as legal and hassle free as possible (meaning all of that stuff mentioned in rule #10).
TranquilSlogan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
well that tells all. thanks for being knowledgable and not a floosie download war pirate.
Kevin Reloaded..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
so is it possible to wactch bleach episodes on this website?
Question -Kevin Reloaded.. Cool
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kevin Reloaded.. wrote:

NO!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kevin Reloaded.. wrote:
Question -Kevin Reloaded.. Cool

Could you try actually reading a thread before posting in it? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Let me make it simple for the newbies...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Areaseven thats priceless Anime smile. I wonder if ANN should have links to LEGAL downloads(such as promos, trailers, teasers and whatnot by the companies that are licensed of course). Ie, for example ADV has some content on there site thats worth checking out in my humble opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Basically, what you're suggesting is that ANN give them free advertising space.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Does asking for downloads include requesting anime tracks and mp3s from other users not direct downloads but like pages to other sites that have them?

Im probably gonna get a lot of flack fro this and more flack for read the rules moron and crap but ya know what i don't care i gotta simply question and if it can keep me from getting kicked off the im gona ask away bisotches
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Does asking for downloads include requesting anime tracks and mp3s from other users not direct downloads but like pages to other sites that have them?

It looks to me as though that's covered by rule 10 too, and the answer is 'YES'.

If you look back through the forum, you'll see a lot of pro/anti wars going on, but from this site's official point of view, my guess is that the major concern is not moralising, but copyright laws that could make ANN liable to heavy penalties for publishing information on where to get things that infringe copyright.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
right wouldn't want to get you guys shut down
cerealkilllerr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
This doesn't have anything to do with the whole "downloading on ANN" thing, but... what are youall's feelings about youtube.com? a lot of people upload full episodes of anime on there.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
It's the same thing as downloading anime via torrents IMO. I'd assume linking to it wouldn't be allowed either.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
YouTube's a tricky one because, while people can use it to watch full episodes, they can also use it for such benign and permissible things as trailers and amusing, anime-related clips (Doozybots). I haven't gotten an official word on how to deal with YouTube, so I just tend to allow it, depending on what's being linked to.

In other words, I'm placing my trust in you guys not to link to things that could be troublesome. Violate that trust and punishment...might be a bit stiffer and more "zero tolerance' than most, as a result. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
can we post links to fansites of our favorite anime? I mean it dosen't mean you'll download mp3's, videos and other downloadable items.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13