• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 (Mostly) Deadly Death Gods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
ColonelYao47 wrote:
The poll is a spoiler disaster waiting to happen. I should have realized before I clicked it.

^^This

I didn't even think about it, just clicked out of habit, and by the time I'd quickly skimmed the list, half a dozen shows I'm either following, or am planning to watch - spoiled.

No matter how you try to defend it, this was a really poor choice of poll topic. Especially when you relinquish all control over the answers like this.

I'm sorry you didn't read the sentence containing the link, or the poll's title, and description line, and bolded question line and continued to read all the options and thus spoiled series for yourself.

In the future, I can keep the poll's more generic but I'm not going to feel bad when there are literally four immediate examples, some in bold and large font type, telling you what you're getting into before reading any of the options.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
^
But the thing is, no-one can actually participate in the poll without being spoiled on deaths from all kinds of shows.

Talking about character deaths will always be hard because they are inherently spoilerific, but this was a really poor choice for a poll topic. You also put no safeguards in place. There was no courteous "spoilers ahead - enter poll at own risk" warning message, and you actually specifically told people to read each entry. If they follow your instructions then they'll be spoiled on every single character death on the list at the time the reader looked at the poll. Is that the outcome you wanted?

There is no way to know which series are on the list until the link is clicked and the entire list is seen, whereupon it is too late. I seriously doubt that a person exists who has seen every title currently on that list, and the number of options is just going to grow.
Khooni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
Hey Lynzee there are so many characters that I want resurrected. You should have given us multiple choices Crying or Very sad
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
^
Well, if you want to maximise your vote you could make a new option and include like ten characters on it. Although I'm not sure if that would be allowed, nothing is physically stopping you from actually submitting an option with multiple characters.

----------

I noticed that while the list is ordered alphabetically, the two options at the top are not in order. Or should that be, they are in order, but seem to have a space before their names. Whoever nominated them are very clever.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
And when next week comes, even with "SPOILERS AHEAD", you'd have to have seen every show in question, or at least know ahead, to not have some kind of spoilage.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
I was also confused about Maka being on this list. I was was also expecting to see Botan on it. On the new poll I chose Nia because her death made me SO depressed especially because it had to purpose.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Setsura1 wrote:
I was also confused about Maka being on this list. I was was also expecting to see Botan on it. On the new poll I chose Nia because her death made me SO depressed especially because it had to purpose.

Seriously, the spoiler tag is there to be used. If anyone managed not to get spoiled by the poll, you people are doing a fine job of filling this thread with un-tagged spoilers
kamui85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
So surprise to see hisoka and tsuzuki, love them! Ryuk should be #1. Bleach is well... Blearcgh!
Detective Mayako

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
For the death god list: I'm pretty happy to see Onozuka Komachi make the list, and a bit bummed that Kurosaki Ichigo topped the list. But, meh.

And also,
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I was surprised that Botan from YuYu Hakusho wasn't in there somewhere.

I am too. I think the reason why might be related to how little of her work as a shinigami she performs during the show, what with tagging around with Urameshi Yusuke's gang all the time. But then again, she at least did her job for Yusuke, unlike Ichigo who spends more time whacking his coworkers than even Yusuke did.

For the dead character poll: L, my favorite character on the list, was not my favorite to resurrect. Sadly.

I would have picked Lelouche, but IMO spoiler[his death was a masterpiece of his own making] and I won't tarnish his legacy.

CrownKlown wrote:
Just to add on to the Lelouch thing, its basically Blade Runner part deux.

the director says its left open to interpretation, I think he kind of understood despite Lelouch being a megalomaniac how popular he was.
the writer says he is dead.

Now I always think whatever the creator says is fact, but since its technically spilt, and the fact that they had to remove an entire scene to make the point that he was dead, I go with alive, and hooking up with CC Wink
Also, this. =P

So, despite:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:
Kinda confused on the poll, because I'm wondering why Fuko is on the list. Because like Ayu in Kanon, she's eventually revealed to be spoiler[in a coma the whole time] and not really dead.

Because it's user submitted, and someone apparently forgot/missed that detail.

I picked Ibuki Fuuko. I know, it's stupid, and after doing a bit more research I found that spoiler[I am three episodes of After Story away from when Fuuko wakes up]. So, I'm a dumbass, yes. But if only it had happened sooner; I'd love soooo much to sit with Fuuko for hours staring at a shelf of starfish cookies, surrounded by an aura of awesome.

Also, thankfully, I love spoilers. I love them so very much, no joke here; I am one of the lucky few who considers spoilers to increase my entertainment from the material. But I pity all those who were bowled over by this tidal wave of spoilers. Octopodpie, you make a valid point IMO, but so do all those who disagree with you...I think the most effective move here on ANN's part would be to apologise for their indiscretion and add a couple of warnings, and to keep this kind of thing in mind for the future.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It is generally accepted that spoiler[Lelouch is dead.] I myself like to think that he did steal the Code, but as far as the official statements go, the last I heard was that they would "leave it up to interpretation", which, imho is the same as saying "he's dead as dead can be, but if you want to think he's alive we won't stop you from it"

I don't know, leaving it up to interpretation to me just means that they are acknowledging that they created an open ended ending.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
There's too many dead characters I'd love to bring back to life. So I decided to cast my vote based on seniority(AKA: the character have I wanted to resurrect for the LONGEST time.) And the answer was spoiler[Nuriko of Fushigi Yuugi]. Because, well....Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I put that one up because, as you so aptly said, Nooooooo!!!! Crying or Very sad That was the first character death in anime that really got me. (For manga, it was spoiler[Hokuto in Tokyo Babylon. I cried a good long time over that one, which, I might add, scared my roommate, who couldn't figure out what the hell my problem was.)]
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
For manga, since you brought it up, Princess_Irene, I have to go with spoiler[Wolfwood in Trigun Maximum]. In my opinion it was a much better death scene than the anime version. If the anime version broke your heart, the manga version tore it to shreds.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And when next week comes, even with "SPOILERS AHEAD", you'd have to have seen every show in question, or at least know ahead, to not have some kind of spoilage.

For the results list, I plan to have the text in white. Users will have to highlight to see the results.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

For the results list, I plan to have the text in white. Users will have to highlight to see the results.
Would it be possible to have the shows for the "winning" deaths blatantly visible but have the characters whose deaths "won" be something protected by some sort of spoiler protector?

Unless revealing that characters indeed die in a given show, without stating the names of the characters who died, is a spoiler...is it?

The task of highlighting "invisible" text on some of my devices is daunting. If I could click something to remove the spoiler protection, or see what shows had "winning" deaths, which could remove my need to remove the spoiler protection, I would appreciate it much more than trying to highlight text that is designed to be invisible. Just a thought.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
b4k4ni04 wrote:
rip Chieko Honda. T^T...

I feel like such an ignorant idiot. I'm only now hearing about her death. T_T
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5