• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox News on Anime and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
I just find it funny that in the article, they still used shows like "Yu-gi-oh" and "Pokemon" as prime examples of anime.

I was wondering, they could pick any of the adult swim animes and make the article seem more diverse in it's anime/manga coverage.

Yes, but then angry mothers will find out and sue CN. "OH NOZ THAT GUY SAID DAMN MOMMY!!!"

Once again, another crappy article about anime. Seriously, it's not just Fox that writes these bad articles that only cite Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon (isn't that one dead now?) and stereotype anime by saying that it's all big eyes and miniskirts, mispronounce the words "anime" and "manga" and list fake American wannabes as being anime, I've seen this on other big-name websites as well. A while ago, there was an article on USA Today saying "Samurai Jack is one of the biggest things to come out of Japan this year." Rolling Eyes Dumbasses.

And about the Hung guy: he is a complete moron. How can you say the FF movie "looked funny"? People thought it was live-action! Wait, it's from Japan, so of course they'll say that. If it was from Pixar, they'd be like "OMG IT LOOKS SO REAL LOL!!!11"
silveruby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote
AnimeRonin wrote:

Jonathan Hung wrote:
"Just the whole idea of giant robots is a very manga-type thing," he said.
Manga-type? How does the idea of giant robots seem "manga-type", as you would call it?

Sorry, but I can't seem to agree with what the article is pointing out.

That quote actually comes from Don Murphy, if you read the article carefully.

So here's the thing I gather so far from reading most of the replies.

1.FoxNews sucks so any articles they write are automatically assumed horrible.
2. This is another bad article about anime and manga because it is actually questioning their popularity in America.
3. Anime has to be made in Japan in order to be called anime.

Well, here's what I have to say about the above.

1. FoxNews like to generalise their audiences. That is true. But those of you that point out how bad FoxNews to show that this article is written badly is ALSO doing the same thing, generalizing an entire network based on a few retarded reports. If you want to point out how badly the article is written, find it WITHIN the article. Don't just go around and say, "FoxNews sucks so this article sucks too!" Oi.

2. Anime and Manga are hitting big in America. The article said that. What it's trying to do is ask a question of whether or not it can hit off in box offices too. But it seem like a simple doubt of Japanese animation is insulting some people. Why get so pissed off by a simple question? I think some fans get way too personal simply by others critising their favorite hobby, as if they're being attacked by the critisim as well. Stop being so defensive...

3. I think deciding what is anime and manga is still a personal preference, as of now. Since anime is just short for animation in Japanese, some people might just use it to describe all animation, like Japanese people Anime hyper Really, I see threads going up all the time with people trying to argue if one show is anime or cartoon... in theory, they're both. It's like, if you walk down a street and see a furry little creature with long ears hopping around, do you call it a bunny or a rabbit?

The article is not as well written as it could be but, you know... it's not as bad as some people said it is either.

Edit: Oh and... Japanese animation and comic are known for their "Dishpan-sized eyes, samurai-like movements and girls in microscopic miniskirts". I don't see how people can get pissed off by this description. If you want to add something that targets at female audiences, well I suppose you can insert, "OMG YAOI *squeeak* Anime exclamation!!!!". Ok, I'm just kidding... please don't hurt me!!
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Simply, manga (search) (rhymes with "bang-a")
Damn it, no! I had to email the editor about this one. The correct pronunciation of manga is mahn-guh, mohn-ga, etc. It does not, in an way, rhyme with clang, bang, rang, etc. Ya can't write an article on something you can't pronounce is what I said in my email.
Quote:
Nickelodeon's hit series "Avatar" is pure anime, only completely written and voiced by Americans.
So it's not anime. Quick jerkin' yourself around, you call this an article? It sounds amateur, like some middle schooler made an attempt. This is the official news we're talking about. Either get it right, or don't do it at all. "It's a Mexican cartoon, only it's written by the French and voiced by Canadians..."
Quote:
Today, VIZ is still the leading publisher of manga for English-speakers, serving an estimated audience of nearly 15 million fans.
But TokyoPop has more titles, so that doesn't make sense, does it? If the article had said a leading publisher, that would be different.
Ataru wrote:
Was this internet only or did air on TV?
If it aired on TV then... *Dies, and then comes back to haunt Fox.*
Quote:
I love the FoxBashing. It's so cute and hip, really.
Hung may be right about why anime doesn't do well in theaters, but you can't expect to write a good article on a subject you can't pronounce and get the basic facts straight. True, some fans (I guess I'm included) are too nitpicky, but mang-a?
What about the influence anime has been? Like with Ghost in the Shell and the Matrix? I wish that if someone were to mention manga in the title, at least be more specific. The article seemed to be discussing manga at one point, then movies in theaters the next, and hastily tying them together. I may be too biased, but...yeah, what about the female fanbase? I just think that the scope of this article was a bt narrow.

BTW: small miniskirts and samurai are stated to be just "a few of its tell-tale elements".
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a good thing main stream meadia is paying attension to anime and manga even if the article is not a great one , it's an article! better than no exspouser. Shocked
exposureand, media,and attention sorry bad spelling dose this forum have a spell checker

Last edited by Mugen1style on Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vekou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I love the FoxBashing. It's so cute and hip, really.

This made me giggle because it's true, and then made me a little sad because I associate myself with the kind of people who get outraged when their hobby gets huge attention in a mainstream market because of one or two inconsequential errors made by someone unfamiliar with it. I can only imagine the bemusement of the author of such an article if they stumbled onto a thread like this. I would be thinking something like, "Oh, man, could these people be even bigger freaks?" Seriously, sometimes Otaku are even worse than Trekkies (no offense to those of you Trekkies out there; I'm a big fan of TNG myself)!

Being a part of anime fandom sure is embarassing sometimes. Crying or Very sad

Also, to everyone whining about O'Reilly or whoever: I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with this? Just because you don't particularly care for a talk show host doesn't give you the authority to criticize everything coming from the channel the show is on. And what does Ann Coulter have to do with Fox News? She doesn't have a show on Fox News and probably never will. Just because she's been a guest on their talk shows doesn't mean that she works for them. She's been on practically every talk show on TV. Just because you associate her views with the views of a TV station doesn't mean they have anything to do with each other.

The logic being used here goes something alone these lines:

(Person) has a column or show on (newspaper / channel/ network). I do not like (person). Because of this, the (newspaper/ channel/ network) is bad. Therefore, whatever the (newspaper/ channel/ network) produces is bad.

Brilliant!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
could someone possibly post the article? i have this thing against fox news, so i don't care to give their site hits.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Then again, americans have never been able to properly pronounce the vowel 'o' for some reason, going 'ar' or a horrible 'oh' sound like how they pronounced 'Chobits', even though the japanese say it so it rhymes with 'hobbits'.

What? "Chobits" IS pronounced with a long "oh" sound in Japanese. The original title is ‚¿‚å‚Ñ‚Áƒc, which is literally "cho bi tsu" (pronounced "choh bee tsu.") And "manga" in Japanese, –Ÿ‰æ, is correctly pronounced "mahn gah." But all of that is irrelevant to my point. In American phonetics, the short "o" does sound like "ah" in words like "not" or "pot." And the long "o" sounds like "oh" as in "foe" or "toe." And in dictionary terms, it's absolutely correct. For you to take an entire country's dialect and assert that it's mis-pronouncation because you happen to pronounce words differently is ridiculous. Also, if you took the time to read the text under Mohawk's avatar (the person whose text you chose to ridicule), you'll see he's not even American! Yeesh. Talk about false presumptions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know that offering one side to a debate to encourage some form of debate, it is censored and deleted without even a whisper.

Wonderful. Wonderful.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Today's Comicsreporter.com links to the story, summarizing it as "Movies will stop manga's win streak," an apt summary of the peculiar wishful thinking that underlies the article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
appleturbo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
what can you expect from a right wing "news' source.

i guess they forgot how popular the Pokemon movies were when they started to come out
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:
i guess they forgot how popular the Pokemon movies were when they started to come out

For the purposes of the discussion, the relative success of the first Pokémon movie doesn't really count, as it was a popular children's merchandising franchise cartoon that just happened to be Japanese in origin, not a serious anime film that is really only marketable to a certain niche audience (in North America), an audience that is large enough for the profits to be made from sales of the DVDs to be interesting to the studios distributing the films, but too small to justify spending the massive "P&A" (prints and advertising) costs for a theatrical wide release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
To all the people going INSANE, I'd like to point out 2 quotes from the article:
Quote:

But at movie theaters, anime hasn't done so well — and naysayers say it never will.

and
Quote:
But a look at manga's history might prove otherwise

I'd also like to point out that Hung WAS quoted as saying about the Final Fantasy movie:
"Thirdly," he added, "it was just a bad movie."

The article makes the suggestion that manga has caught fire whereas anime movies have not. I would suggest instead of the myriad of factors one could claim, the most OBVIOUS is this:
Books not titled "Harry Potter" aren't selling well, so a SMALL blip created by manga sales is noticeable, vs. even a decent selling movie would look pathetic compared to a MAJOR Hollywood release. I think it's more a situation of "it's all relative". Also, most of the quotes in question are coming from Hollywood insiders, so it makes sense that they are talking up Hollywood movies/movie-making as opposed to anime.
Personally I'm willing to give them the "Treasure Planet" and "Sinbad" as attempts to capitalize on anime by Disney and others (see: "Atlantis", "Lion King", etc).
(a SMALL piece of lattitude from the Mods please)
And for you *****s pointing out how this article is another "fine piece of idiocy from FoxNews", let me point out some fine articles on anime/manga from the esteemed NYTimes which is of course the PARAGON of journalistic integrity:
animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=1491
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/7210.html
(sorry guys, not linking direct NY Times webpage articles because of their annoying "gotta register" system)

Point being, the "mainstream" media doesn't really care about anime/manga deep down, because the mainstream POPULACE doesn't really care about it deep down. Which is why we read ANN. (plug)
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
the very least could do is do some reaserch beofre making an article. and learn how to pronounce "Mon-guh" for god's sake.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious:
Quote:
Just because you don't particularly care for a talk show host doesn't give you the authority to criticize everything coming from the channel the show is on.

When they go on a show which bills itself as "fair and balanced", we definitely have a right to challenge their claims.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

When they go on a show which bills itself as "fair and balanced", we definitely have a right to challenge their claims.

Can we cut this out already? While I don't think the article is good or even very accurate, it has zilch to do with any show on Fox News or with any of their slogans. Daniel Altiere would have written the exact same article if he worked for CNN, NBC, or any other news outlet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6