• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Anime Club Leader Jailed For Teen Sex Abuse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I knew people say this place is intolerant towards other views but wow. Zac your obsession with Reddit is almost as bad as Chagen46's obsession with 4chan.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Everyone was sick of TitanXL and by all accounts everyone's sick of you too. We'll see you around Thanksgiving or so.

Forums Cleanup continues.

IT'S A SUMMER OF LOVE WITH TWO FREE SEATS FOR THE TAKING!

Tough love...but love all the same!

GarnetStyle wrote:
I knew people say this place is intolerant towards other views but wow. Zac your obsession with Reddit is almost as bad as Chagen46's obsession with 4chan.

The view that women, underage or otherwise, should be fair game to mistreat and violate while intoxicated based solely on the judgment of the person slavering to mistreat or violate them, yup, we're not too tolerant of that view 'round these parts. Forgive us for being big ole bigots.

Last edited by JacobC on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Titan banned due to this thread, or more of his Japan is the greatest nation ever thing he does in some other thread?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Titan banned due to this thread, or more of his Japan is the greatest nation ever thing he does in some other thread?

Titan was banned near the beginning of the Massive Attack/X Button thread. It was more related to sexism and female objectification in video games. But don't be alarmed; he managed to put in some jabs against the Western gaming community/market as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it's not as clear-cut in some real-life court cases.
Particularly with regards to the hazy "buzzed" zone, I had heard law student friends debate this.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
This may be a tad off-topic, but I gotta ask(and I can't think of a more efficient way to ask), but is that JesuOtaku up there the same one involved with that incident that resulted in Spoony resigning from that Nostalgia Critic site? Or just a big fan of her who made an account named after JesusOtaku?

Anyways with regards to this specific case. Would have been nice had they been more informative. How exactly did a man with english like THAT manage to convince three girls to...actually I don't even know exactly what he did with them. Confused
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He was cleared of two further charges of sexual activity against one of the girls.

How did this happen? What caused 2 of the charges determined to be significant enough to bring to court to be found bogus while the rest were legit? Maybe this guy is a scumbag rapist-either way, the legal system has branded him as one for life (if he doesn't die in prison, as the judge seemed to acknowledge might happen)-but this, and the points raised by dtm42 (RIP) make me wonder about the rest of the story. Speaking of those points I also have to wonder how the judge can say for certain that the defendant knew "for certain" the age of the girls. The article doesn't give us that info.

What was the evidence used against him in his trial? The article doesn't say.

Also, neither the blurb nor the linked article state that he met the girls through his club, not unless I missed it. Therefore I have to ask if the mention of the club is germane?
Zetacheesecake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:52 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Anyways with regards to this specific case. Would have been nice had they been more informative. How exactly did a man with english like THAT manage to convince three girls to...actually I don't even know exactly what he did with them. Confused

He had visual dyslexia, not verbal dyslexia.

and there seems to be a vibe of " as long as he wasn't forcibly raping the girls, that's okay right?" going on here.

Consider this, your a parent, your daughter is 14, naive, vulnerable doesn't really understand how a lot of men can take advantage yet. And you find out a grown adult male who is responsible for looking after your child is getting sexually and emotionally involved with your daughter trying to convince her to do things you wouldn't usually do with older men.

Would you feel OK with that as a parent?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
Unless you see the entire trial, or plea bargain, or whatever happened in court, you'll never have all of the details that were used in his conviction. Reading a short and undetailed blurb doesn't give the specifics. It doesn't even say for certain or not if it was rape, just "sexual activity", for which I don't know English law and I don't know the specifics of the charges. Does anyone else? For all I know, it could be molestation, and it doesn't make him any less guilty, but it is a different crime.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Quote:
There's a huge world of difference between flat-out rape and taking advantage of the cognitively impaired

Nope. Both are rape. Both are equally bad.
I personally just can't accept the idea the former is no worse than the latter. This doesn't mean I'll disagree with however bad you want to make the latter out to be, though(if the latter rates the death penalty, the former rates impalement).
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Forums Cleanup continues.

Thank you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
(I am, of course, assuming that the intoxication was perfectly willful - otherwise we veer towards flat-out territory).
in the UK under aged drinking and getting drunk is also "flat-out" illegal.

Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
He was cleared of two further charges of sexual activity against one of the girls.

How did this happen? What caused 2 of the charges determined to be significant enough to bring to court to be found bogus while the rest were legit? Maybe this guy is a scumbag rapist-either way, the legal system has branded him as one for life (if he doesn't die in prison, as the judge seemed to acknowledge might happen)-but this, and the points raised by dtm42 (RIP) make me wonder about the rest of the story. Speaking of those points I also have to wonder how the judge can say for certain that the defendant knew "for certain" the age of the girls. The article doesn't give us that info.

What was the evidence used against him in his trial? The article doesn't say.
Some of the charges just couldn't be proven beyond doubt and some were, simple as that. That's what a trial by jury is all about. Die in prison? he only got six years, he'll be out in three with a tag around his ankle no mistake, the way our judicial system works and prisons stuffed to the rafters with inmates already. Does it matter if he didn't know they were under age? It was his responsibility to find that out in the first place.

Quote:
Also, neither the blurb nor the linked article state that he met the girls through his club, not unless I missed it. Therefore I have to ask if the mention of the club is germane?
Again, does it matter?

Polycell wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Quote:
There's a huge world of difference between flat-out rape and taking advantage of the cognitively impaired

Nope. Both are rape. Both are equally bad.
I personally just can't accept the idea the former is no worse than the latter. This doesn't mean I'll disagree with however bad you want to make the latter out to be, though(if the latter rates the death penalty, the former rates impalement).
Mate, it's all about the end result, not the means to the end, though there are regulations and restrictions for those as well, but that's a different case.

If it were my 14-year-old daughter, I'd want this guy's genitals cooked and fed to him before he being hung, drawn and quartered. Evil or Very Mad Sadly we can not have our justice like the olde days. Laughing
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Don't have much to say except that since he's gonna be out in 6 years, even less, one hopes he properly rehabilitates. May be learn to speak some proper Aanglish too,

I guess we can assume the Crown Prosecutors did their best if these were all the charges that would stick. Then again, with no information.....we can only speculate what happened, why they charged him with lesser crimes, and why such low tarrifs were given.
Fierywind12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
I made an account just to post here. That being said, I am not a regular forum reader, although I check ANN daily for news and follow a few columns. As I do not normally read the forums, I can't claim that there is a long-running problem or anything of the sort, but I have seen a problem during this specific discussion.

Perhaps there IS a problem with people jumping to the defense of sex-offenders, as zac claimed, but that does not mean that anyone not expressing the same opinion about a case as zac or anyone else is "defending" that person. Dtm42's point about the ambiguous wording of many ANN articles about legal cases is a valid one. His posts were logically presented, and to say he was coming to the defense of the guy written about in the article is a misrepresentation of his argument. I believe that due to a personal problem zac has (self-admittedly) had with people "defending" sex offenders, he has developed a bias against anyone who isn't calling for the death of these offenders (a hyperbole, just so people don't think I'm being literal). Dtm42 went out of his way to point out that he isn't defending this guy, and that he in fact deserved a harsher sentence if in fact rape was involved.

By all means though, continue to ban people who make valid points and don't agree with you, so you can keep ignoring issues you don't want to look at or recognize exist.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Zetacheesecake wrote:
As a former member of SAM (Sam is now closed) I feel i should say a few things to clear up the misunderstandings. I know a lot of people involved and while I don't know exactly if the former leader had raped these girls, but he was emotionally and sexually involved with these girls when they were underage and he was a responsible adult at the time. When he started getting romantically involved with a girl who was underage and had the appearance of about 10-12 years old, I and others warned him to be careful and should be more platonic until she was of age, unfortunately he decided to do the opposite.
You make it sound like I was right then - he sounds like someone naive without a clue, not a 'sexual predator'.

Out of curiosity, since you know some things we don't can I ask his age at the actual time please and the age of the girls involved at the time? This kind of information is important to understanding the charges and the sentencing but it was withheld by the author of the piece.

And +1 for LordByron227.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9