• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Le Chavalier D'Eon Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
/me looks at the doubters and does the "I told you so" dance. :-p
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's always nice to have an official release to get all the facts. Rumors don't interest me that much. "If you can't quote a name, then it didn't happen." That's the way all business transactions work.

No doubt that this is coming over whatsoever. It's tied to a 2-movie deal.

Anyway...

Thanks ADV!!! =D>

(Did you know that if you click the wrong button you can actually quote yourself by mistake? Silly me. Anime smile + sweatdrop )
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Hey, it's always nice to have an official release to get all the facts. Rumors don't interest me that much. "If you can't quote a name, then it didn't happen." That's the way all business transactions work.
Rumors can kill stock prices just as dead as a legitmate business failure. Perception dictates reaction. What people believe to be true, even if it is utter fantasty, can affect things.

Plus, if a rumor was started by someone who actually told the literal truth, then the rumor is true. In today's world of corporate and government leakers, high technology that lets anyone and everyone know what someone said in a heartbeat, and a thriving blogosphere, rumors and unnamed sources hold great power.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I hate rumors.

To be honest, if another site had reported the title licensed, but couldn't give a source, you're right, "it didn't happen."

If it was an extremely trustworthy site, (Say Anime on DVD), we'd report that they reported it, but that it remains unconfirmed. Much like how AoD treated this piece of news.

If it was a site that didn't have a proven track record, we wouldn't report anything until we could get confirmation (Which is what happened with the Blood+ item).

Once we get the information first hand from a source that would be acceptable if we quoted them (but they don't want to be quoted) then, as far as I'm concerned, it isn't rumor but fact, and we report on it.

The biggest fear I have when ANN reports on something without a source, is not "whether or not it's true" but rather "whether or not it might change." "Facts" have been known to change in this industry, licenses change hands, companies back out of contracts, etc... So I'm always worried that if we report on something, and the facts change later, we will get blamed for spreading a false rumor.

-t
marklungo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
What interests me about this announcement is that ADV has apparently licensed Chevalier for Australia. Is ADV starting an Australian division? I thought Madman released all their titles Down Under.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
marklungo wrote:
What interests me about this announcement is that ADV has apparently licensed Chevalier for Australia. Is ADV starting an Australian division? I thought Madman released all their titles Down Under.

Think of it this way- ADV buys rights to all of these places, and then later farms them out to Madman, ADVUK, whatever.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
How do you even pronounce the title? Another thing is that it maybe an interesting series since they have Mayo
Quote:
Kenshin Himura
Suzukaze.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
How do you even pronounce the title?

Something along the lines of "Luh Shuh-val-yay Duh-on" (I'm not sure about this pronunciation, so maybe someone who knows French better can help). I imagine the title will use an Anglicized pronunciation, though, when it comes to the US (i.e., "Lay Shev-uh-leer Day-on).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
How do you even pronounce the title?

Le Chevalier d'Éon

Unfortunately the sounds associated with the proper pronunciation don't exist in the English language.

Quote:
"Luh Shuh-val-yay Duh-on"

This is close, except d'Éon in more DAY the DUH.

To be exact, the e in "Le" and "Che" is the french euh sound, similar to uh, but with an e instead of a u.

FYI: The translation is "The Knight of Eon." His full name was "Charles-Geneviève-Louis-Auguste-André-Timothée Éon de Beaumont."

-t
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
wows... of all companies, ADV got Chevalier D'eon? the things you miss when you're offline Confused
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ha! This license is like, a declaration that ADV is back in business or something after being overshadowed for quite some time.

Le Chevalier d'Éon is a wonderful show in any case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4