• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon BD+DVD Part Two

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Granted, the dub does sneak a little bit of "humor" unrelated to the original script, but it's not even DBZ English dub level of persistent, and it's certainly not a gag dub like Ghost Stories.

Funny you should mention that since Umino did make an "over 9000" comment. XD
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Hey, I'm not blindly going by what I see in the anime, I'm just expressing my thoughts... Mad

I think it's obvious NJ wasn't talking about you.

Anyway, I've barely watched my sets so I can't say anything about the quality, but I just wish I didn't have to buy a set where I get both DVDs and BD disks when I only have a DVD player. What's the point?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for reminding me that The Sea! An Island! Vacation! The Senshi Relax is a thing.
http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=The_Sea!_An_Island!_Vacation!_The_Senshi_Relax
Wow i forgot how insane the show could get at times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
@KENZICHI

Oh, I see. Sorry, it's just, I sometimes see fans doing a stupid "blinded by nostalgia" argument, which I hate.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Granted, the dub does sneak a little bit of "humor" unrelated to the original script, but it's not even DBZ English dub level of persistent, and it's certainly not a gag dub like Ghost Stories.

Funny you should mention that since Umino did make an "over 9000" comment. Anime hyper

Yeah. I rolled my eyes and moved on. I haven't noticed any other terrible DBZ dub line jokes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jeyl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
First it was the poor handling of the first set, than it was the post-release ANN interview with Charlene Ingram that instantly put my commitment to these sets at a full stop. Charlene was like the Sarah Palin of home video public relations. She had no idea how to properly convey the issues with the set and didn't even understand the term "collector's item" when she said the DVD video issue won't be present in set number 2. To make matter worse, she still calls what the video department did 'magical'.

There is nothing magical about this set at all and I don't want to support someone who thinks they're a doing a great job when that's clearly not the case.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the English dub has a little fun with the material instead of making it dull literal-translation, but not going over-the-top. It was my first time seeing many episodes, and I forgot it was a "new" dub. It's very well-done, and shout outs to Stephanie Sheh (Usagi), Amanda C Miller (Mako), Cindy Robinson (Beryl), Todd Haberkorn (Jadeite), Liam O'Brien (Nephrite), Lucien Dodge (Zoisite), and Ben Diskin (Umino) for their standout performances. But really, the whole cast is amazing. I even enjoy Nic Roye as Shingo, even if he sounds a bit old.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
@KENZICHI

Oh, I see. Sorry, it's just, I sometimes see fans doing a stupid "blinded by nostalgia" argument, which I hate.

I understand. People's opinions are people's opinions. We should respect them all no matter how we feel about them.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
I see that people brought up the usage of "over nine thousand" in the dub. It should be noted that if what Ben Diskin (Umino) said on Twitter was true, that line was his improvisation. He didn't even expect it to be kept in the final cut. In conclusion, "over nine thousand" was not in the script, so if you need someone as a scapegoat, it's Ben. ~Bye~
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
@katscradle

I'm kinda confused with what Rebecca's saying there... Anime dazed

Well, I wouldn't dare speak for her. Still, pointing out those two things sort of match what I understand as weaker aspects of episode 40, despite it being a favourite for me. It's titled The Legendary Lake Yokai: The Bond of Usagi's Family. So a large part of the focus is suppose to be about the Tsukino's on a little vacation to a hot springs. Usagi has an opportunity to leave everything behind for a little while and act like a normal teenager.

Of course it can't last, spoiler[because she's reminded of Mamoru (pulled my heartstrings) and has to fight a lake monster. But since Tuxedo Mask isn't totally corrupted by evil in the classic anime he interferes with the monster he released anyway to save her and makes his excuses as always. The other senshi show up too even though Usagi really probably only needed Rei as the monster isn't one from, nor designed by the Dark Kingdom. The girls being there isn't horrible since it goes to the friendship theme, and Usagi recognizes she is fortunate in having people to support her including family. Nevertheless it's probably more the needs of the show than advancing the narrative that the main cast has to always be together.] Frankly what I've always appreciated most about Sailor Moon was following Usagi's growth. It's times when she's more on her own that you see it clearly.

Zalis116 wrote:
Except for the "dinosaur island" episode in R, all of the episodes that were cut from the DiC dub version were in ADV's sub-only releases as well, so it's not like Viz is being totally groundbreaking here. Though I guess this is the first chance to hear those episodes dubbed.

Yeah there isn't a lot of unseen material but, ADV also didn't have the next episode previews in their set that would have ran after the end song. (ADV just had the pre-episode speeches at the beginning of each episode.) VIZ also got one of the clean versions of the OP and END songs as extras.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I see with what you're saying. I'd say looking back on it (even though I've only seen that episode in the horrible English dub) I like both Usagi's growth and her relationships with her friends.

I'm not trying to get you to speak for her; I was just confused.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I'm not trying to get you to speak for her; I was just confused.

I understand. I just wanted to make it very clear to anybody I was stating my thoughts in case I went off base somewhere. Very Happy
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, this is basically already a botched release for those hoping to buy something close to "definitive". If they had just taken the R2 DVD masters and upscaled it well without trying to get "cute", it would have at least been acceptable. And with those rumors/news that Toei is gonna go ahead and just do their own HD master, people are just going to ignore this and wait for a better release someday. Hardcore Sailor Moon fans waited over 2 decades for a definitive release--they won't have a problem waiting some more. They're used to waiting anyway.

KENZICHI wrote:

I think it's obvious NJ wasn't talking about you.

Anyway, I've barely watched my sets so I can't say anything about the quality, but I just wish I didn't have to buy a set where I get both DVDs and BD disks when I only have a DVD player. What's the point?

Someday you are going to have a BD player and you'll be glad you got the BD in all those combo packs. Not that the BD of Sailor Moon is that great, but people with BD players have more cause to be upset about a DVD in their combo packs than the other way around. At least the BD will be useful SOMEDAY. But a person with a BD player has no use for the DVD, except to loan to friends.

I remember when the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was being sold in a separate DVD set and I bought that at the time thinking I wouldn't get a blu-ray player anytime soon. 7 months later I got one, and I kicked myself for not getting the DVD + BD pack instead.

As sports commentators would say, getting something that you have no use for NOW but will SOMEDAY is "upside".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Tonight I finished watching the entire initial season of Sailor Moon. I found Viz's English version of the show to be an overall outstanding performance (BD quality issues aside)! Very Happy The voices sounded spot-on with the characters, for the most part, and I got to see plenty of scenes that were cut out in DiC's dub, in which I was excited all the more.

There is one casting choice that I found to be a bit of a flaw within Viz's new dub of Sailor Moon: Shingo. I got nothing against Nicholas Roye, but I felt he sounded a bit too old for him, despite his high voice. However, I enjoyed him nonetheless. If anything, I have a feeling that this case seems similar to how someone with a high-sounding voice was cast as Negi Springfield in Negima years earlier.

In summation, Viz's new English version of Sailor Moon sounded fantastic and I can't wait too see more of it, particularly the movies!
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And with those rumors/news that Toei is gonna go ahead and just do their own HD master, people are just going to ignore this and wait for a better release someday.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. When Toei did their HD episodes on Japanese TV, I heard it wasn't as good as the R2 DVDs of back then. No better than what Viz is doing right now in upscaling and all that. Either they couldn't find their own original tapes or they are being cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5