• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaos Dragon: SekiryuSen'eki (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Swallow is pretty interesting character, I enjoyed the highlight of him this week. He succeeded in stopping the returned ones, but he messed up and prevented a sacrifice. Was it just a bad point of view, or did Lou actually lose an arm?

Maybe no one will think similar, but is there something funny about a kid being carried around by a diving suit with a drill arm? A little sister? looks like some twists.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
His curse is obviously based on the king who turned all into gold.

Although I believe his curse is impossible. He'd eventually destroy the ground beneath him and become the centre of Earth.

Considering he destroyed the plate he only touched with his mouth I'm not so sure why his clothes last. Curse only affects his hand and mouth? His mum could at least tickle his belly then. Evil mum.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well if the main character can have one that specifically has something vague like sacrificing a person who he cares about, why isn't the distinction of "tool" really that hard to believe? Clothes are not tools, and his hands do not have to touch something for it to count as him using a tool.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Clothes aren't tools? Who'd think I have a buddy dedicated to hiding my body.

His mum was a tool since he couldn't touch her.

But I get your point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Clothes aren't tools? Who'd think I have a buddy dedicated to hiding my body.

Well weapons and armour tend to be separated in video games? Say clothes fit the category of "garment", one separate from "tool".

There was probably nothing stopping him from touching his mother, everyone was just scared that his power might activate on a person that they were too afraid to let him touch them. You could probably say someone helping him I something different from being called a "tool", but who knows if there is a way he can actually use someone as a tool.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Has it been confirmed that everything he touches -tool or not- gets affected by the curse? Because it felt like they're reaching for tragedy/drama with his mom not wanting to touch him, I mean, humans aren't tools? Did they at least try to have him touch an animal or something and see what happened? Also, the shackles on his wrists were pretty much useless, given how even being spoonfed ruined the dishes. Besides, how come the shackles don't vanish? Or the bed? It seems this curse just affects things that are randomly convenient to make the character more tragic. Also, how exactly did the family manage to go bankrupt. It's not like they bought him super expensive toys, he could never leave his bedroom so he wouldn't be able to destroy other things in the house, and his bed and clothes never disintegrate so that leaves just dishes and cups and that stuff? How did the family manage to go bankrupt just from buying replace? There are way too many holes in that tragic backstory :/
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Has it been confirmed that everything he touches -tool or not- gets affected by the curse? Because it felt like they're reaching for tragedy/drama with his mom not wanting to touch him, I mean, humans aren't tools? Did they at least try to have him touch an animal or something and see what happened? Also, the shackles on his wrists were pretty much useless, given how even being spoonfed ruined the dishes. Besides, how come the shackles don't vanish? Or the bed? It seems this curse just affects things that are randomly convenient to make the character more tragic. Also, how exactly did the family manage to go bankrupt. It's not like they bought him super expensive toys, he could never leave his bedroom so he wouldn't be able to destroy other things in the house, and his bed and clothes never disintegrate so that leaves just dishes and cups and that stuff? How did the family manage to go bankrupt just from buying replace? There are way too many holes in that tragic backstory :/

While he was being spoon fed he touched the spoon and got destroyed, he used a tool. Clearly they did not understand it fully and thought he just destroyed everything he touched, but showing a bowl he was eating out of head first being destroyed shows that he does not need to be using a tool with his hands for it to be destroyed.

The shackles do not count as tools that he was using, they are restraints, he was not really using them for anything. A bed is furniture, not a tool, I am sure there is a difference. I am sure there is more of a distinction in Japanese, but people must be able to understand.

And as for how his family got bankrupt. Well it seems highly likely that families of influence keep their wealth via reputation, with just the rumour of its heir destroying everything he touches, I imagine their reputation would have fallen apart. From losing their reputation their wealth could have quickly dried up.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Strictly speaking, 道具 is normally translated as tool which in turn is anything used to create other objects, items used to accomplish a task/job or objects which are utilised to make life more convenient. Clothes don't quite fall into this definition since one can't "use" clothes, they are just there to be worn. It's probably a loophole that makes more sense in a Japanese language context.

Just for reference, apparently I'm not the only one who initially found it difficult to process Siwallow's problem.

Bed: Not used to create other objects, not used to complete a task or job. It probably could fit the third criteria in some ways, but he could sit on a bed without it being destroyed so lying down on it would probably be fine.

Mother: Fearful of the newborn baby touching her VERY EXPENSIVE NECKLACE and destroying it. Even if it didn't fall under the definition described above, she wasn't going to risk it.

Pages of a book: They do disintegrate if one sees the pages of a book as fulfilling the second condition of a tool. The book covers interestingly enough do not disintegrate, just the pages.

It's quite a selective curse, but no where near as destructive as King Midas since that covered everything with no exceptions. Although it is surprising people are still around to argue about this definition considering the widespread vitriol surrounding this series.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Because it felt like they're reaching for tragedy/drama with his mom not wanting to touch him, I mean, humans aren't tools?

If someone is used as a means to an end, they could very well be considered a tool. Nasu might've been much more interested in repercussions than the technicalities when he created the ability, or he could have left this deliberately vague for characters themselves to doubt what could happen and make decisions accordingly.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If someone is used as a means to an end, they could very well be considered a tool. Nasu might've been much more interested in repercussions than the technicalities when he created the ability, or he could have left this deliberately vague for characters themselves to doubt what could happen and make decisions accordingly.

But by that definition, "slaves" like Meryl would disintegrate because they're pretty much considered "objects". The maid that spoon-fed him should've disintegrated too, since she was being used too. If the parents saw that the maid was unaffected, why did they assume they would be destroyed if he touched them? I really find this backstory incredibly dumb and far-fetched

Quote:
The shackles do not count as tools that he was using, they are restraints, he was not really using them for anything. A bed is furniture, not a tool, I am sure there is a difference. I am sure there is more of a distinction in Japanese, but people must be able to understand.

Which goes back to my point. Why did the family assume the humans would be destroyed if he touched them, when not even his clothes were being destroyed. I went and rewatched the flashback, he expressly says "I hardly ever touched anyone. I wonder what would've happened if I'd ever handled someone like a tool". So he does have physical contact with humans who didn't vanish. Which makes this whole drama of being abandoned and neglected by his parents, apparently terrified of being destroyed (the father tells the mother "do you want to end up like that" pointing at a broken spoon), completely unfounded, as well as his fear of touching his parrot

Quote:
And as for how his family got bankrupt. Well it seems highly likely that families of influence keep their wealth via reputation, with just the rumour of its heir destroying everything he touches, I imagine their reputation would have fallen apart. From losing their reputation their wealth could have quickly dried up.

But like, the curse itself is so dumb? Why would anyone's reputation be tainted by such a minor thing? Besides, if the family was allegedly one of the richest in D'natia, I find it hard to believe they'd lose all their money over the course of a couple years just from the kid's curse. At most it's an inconvenience, it seems to me the parents made it to be much more than it actually was. Besides, in a previous episode it was mentioned that he was constantly bankrupt because of his curse, implying that it's the physical action of destroying and having to replace every tool what sent his family to ruin.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more it bothers me how the drama of Swallow's tragic past is so forced and full of holes and contrivances.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

But by that definition, "slaves" like Meryl would disintegrate because they're pretty much considered "objects". The maid that spoon-fed him should've disintegrated too, since she was being used too. If the parents saw that the maid was unaffected, why did they assume they would be destroyed if he touched them? I really find this backstory incredibly dumb and far-fetched

Which goes back to my point. Why did the family assume the humans would be destroyed if he touched them, when not even his clothes were being destroyed. I went and rewatched the flashback, he expressly says "I hardly ever touched anyone. I wonder what would've happened if I'd ever handled someone like a tool". So he does have physical contact with humans who didn't vanish. Which makes this whole drama of being abandoned and neglected by his parents, apparently terrified of being destroyed (the father tells the mother "do you want to end up like that" pointing at a broken spoon), completely unfounded, as well as his fear of touching his parrot

But like, the curse itself is so dumb? Why would anyone's reputation be tainted by such a minor thing? Besides, if the family was allegedly one of the richest in D'natia, I find it hard to believe they'd lose all their money over the course of a couple years just from the kid's curse. At most it's an inconvenience, it seems to me the parents made it to be much more than it actually was. Besides, in a previous episode it was mentioned that he was constantly bankrupt because of his curse, implying that it's the physical action of destroying and having to replace every tool what sent his family to ruin.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more it bothers me how the drama of Swallow's tragic past is so forced and full of holes and contrivances.

When someone's mind is fixed, offering an alternative view isn't really going to change matters. I'll do so anyway and see what else others come up with.

1. Physical contact is a prerequisite in determining whether the curse takes effect. As already mentioned, Siwallow had contemplated making physical contact with a human being with the intention of using them as tools but never went through with it. Note that he handled the dying Meryl with his bare hands and she stayed alive thanks to the agreement with the Black Dragon, so using maids and the like to help the boy with simple everyday tasks is done with the express purpose of minimising the damage to the household finances.

2. The mother recoiled only when baby Siwallow expressed the intent to touch her FANCY NECKLACE, not her person. Unfortunately the habit of avoiding physical contact with the baby for fear of personal possessions being destroyed eventually evolves into a fear of physical contact with the baby for fear of personal safety. Rational as some viewers may be, fear of the unknown leads to prejudice.

3. Would families with rich scions want to do business with a family whose offspring had a notorious and well-documented ability to disintegrate a large quantity of objects upon touch? Since few people would brave making contact with the boy, it's not hard to imagine unfounded rumours circulating amongst the community making it difficult for the household to maintain its fortune. Having to replace everyday household items on a daily basis would definitely place a strain on the budget, especially when the subject in question has an insatiable need to touch objects. Viewers have a rough idea of what the curse can do, but would everyone else in the vicinity have the same level of knowledge?

I doubt I'll get feedback on the above, but it would reflect the disdain expressed by this community for the show anyway.
#Yggdrasil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
The following number are just an hypotesis.
During a single day, swallow uses just to eat around 4 dishes, 4 glasses, 20 forks and 10 knifes. This means 2920 dishes, 2920 glasses, 14600 forks and 7300 knifes in 2 years.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I doubt I'll get feedback on the above, but it would reflect the disdain expressed by this community for the show anyway.

Nothing to do with this community. The majority opinion wherever I go is that the show is mediocre at best.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:

Nothing to do with this community. The majority opinion wherever I go is that the show is mediocre at best.

Begging the question: if the show is mediocre to unwatchable, why are posters bothering to pipe up now when they couldn't be bothered to do so for the last few weeks?!

If it's so terrible for the vast majority of viewers inside and outside of this website, why bother discussing it when it's not worth the time of day to even watch?

Strange that those who hate the show couldn't wait until the website review came up to vent their spleen about inconsistencies in the show.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
@Harleyquin: I'm not a fan of your bait/dare/despective "I don't think I'll get feedback because this community is like that", but I'll bite;

Upon rewatching the scene, yes, the baby does reach out for the necklace, but why would anyone assume he'd break it? Even if he'd worn it, it probably wouldn't have been broken, since the clothes he wears don't get destroyed -something everyone must have been able to observe-. Besides, the father instantly tells the mother (who up to that point had been intent on "raising her baby with her own two hands") that she should leave the baby alone unless she wants to "end up like that", referring to the broken spoon. Which means, the father is already assuming the baby can destroy people he touches. So this slow progression of "fear for possessions --> fear for self" doesn't really happen, it's an instant assumption made by the father that the mother follows the moment it is suggested.

As far as the family's ruin, I still find it far-fetched. For one, the child isn't even allowed to touch anything, he has those shackles on 24/7. . Even assuming all of their business or whatever it was that supported the family wealth instantly broke off the moment Swallow's curse was discovered (and let's face it, it would probably take at least 2 to 4 years for it to become widespread, especially since the kid was kept in confinement), it's quite a leap that the fortune of "one of the richest families of D'natia" would dry out in, at most, 10 years, when the only thing they're actually renewing is the daily needs of the child -and at least the dishes he's being fed with don't look particularly fancy.

Quote:
Begging the question: if the show is mediocre to unwatchable, why are posters bothering to pipe up now when they couldn't be bothered to do so for the last few weeks?!

If it's so terrible for the vast majority of viewers inside and outside of this website, why bother discussing it when it's not worth the time of day to even watch?

I don't find the show unwatchable, just over-the-top dumb with terrible direction. I continue to watch it because it has such big names attached to it and it's kind of amusing to see how a bad execution can butcher even the best writers. As for why comment now and not before, it's because this particular aspect really stuck out for its shitload of inconsistencies, plotholes and forced melodrama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7