• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!! ×2 The Second Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if we should focus as much in Izaya's declaration about a Valkyrie/Dullahan war too much, mainly because he has only mentioned it twice:

• At the end of the first book, talking with Namie about how Dullahans and Valkyries could be born from the same root, and mentions of that war. By itself it could just be a simple metaphor about what he's going to do and pretty talk.
  • When Shingen goes visiting him and says "interesting angle, trying to find out about Dullahan's nature based on Valkyries. Then you should draw a war based on her friends to really awaken her". Here's the complication because now we don't know if he's being literal or not.

And that's it. Is a literal war to awaken her, or just a metaphor for chaos? Is he still doing it, or is he focused in other things and that's why he doesn't pay any more attention to Celty or mentioning that war? Was his attempt with Mikado/Masaomi/Anri the real deal, or not? Is he repeating it again?
Or has the show just forgotten about that whole deal? With all these variables, I honestly have no idea what to expect from him, so it could go either way.

The episode itself was very confusing not only because the stuff you said about the previous plot, but because this particular story had also so many variables we weren't even sure were important or not while watching the episode until the end, when we learn these two bands and bosses or subbosses aren't important for the future (I think). Mix it with the previous stuff about all Izaya's complicated plans, and it's hard to follow. But I still liked it, and let's hope it reveals its variables more smoothly from now on and this was just a quick plot they wanted to take out asap.

P.S.: Out of all the recycled villains right now in Izaya's side, we can be thankful that Horoda (aka the idiot from novel 3) isn't among them.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
According to the Durarara!! wiki the bald guy from Izaya's "friends" group is called spoiler[Kine and is apparently a freelance detective and a former executive of the Awakusu group.]

Last edited by Theozilla on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
^If you're pulling something from the wiki that is not known to viewers or has not yet been explained please spoiler tag it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
Mikage has a really cool design and kicked ass there.

And yeah as mentioned in the ep review, those are some savage, almost Mikasa-level abs!
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
The last time I watched an anime about a character being tortured while tied to a chair, that character became a flesh eating monster who became a key player in a giant gang war in Tokyo. This time we had a character tortured while tied to a chair who is already a monster who is trying to start a giant gang war in Tokyo. Man, this plot point keeps coming up in anime!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't notice it during the Akane Arc, but apparently the "Izaya" who told Akane to eliminate Shizuo was not actually the real Izaya.

I had very heavy suspicions about this since Akane's flashbacks were first shown because the show seemed to be really going out of its way to a) hide fake-Izaya's face (except for a tuft of brown hair, which is not Izaya's hair color) and b) hide fake-Izaya's voice (making Akane report what was told to her), because Kamiyan's voice is unmistakable. At first I even thought fake-Izaya was someone trying to get Izaya into trouble using Akane, but this episode confirmed otherwise. Now I really have to wonder who on earth would put their neck out for Izaya
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 review wrote:
So even though I do think Izaya is finally making his apocalypse bid now, I still have no idea how or why he chose this group of people to do it with,

Well it does seem like a group that is set up to be thoroughly sacrificed in what apparently is to come. If there is anything that Izaya can do it is that he can beguile nearly anyone into doing what he wants by playing on their natures. Except the girl with the "savage abs" (great term I'm stealing it) this is a pretty lowlife lot and whatever he has in mind for them is going to be horrific.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand what's going on with Durarara!!. The first season was less complicated then whatever the hell is happening now.

This is why I prefer Baccano! as an alternative.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
I still don't understand what's going on with Durarara!!. The first season was less complicated then whatever the hell is happening now.

First season only adapted 3 novels, in 24 episodes, while each X2 First Arc adapted 3 novels in 12 episodes, and Second Arc is going for 4 novels in 12 episodes. So it's understandable how it gets more confusing in comparison, as they don't have the time to spell everything anymore.

According to Crunchyroll's news, there won't be an episode next week, unfortunately, so I wonder what this means for the episode count. Will it still be 12 episodes, leaving 3 for Volume 10, or are they going to have to make it in 2 because they wouldn't have the TV spot for the 'extra' episode?

Also, there's a passing I really liked in the novel that they unfortunately didn't adapt, and I don't think they will either in a next episode since the moment's already passed. Spoilers for Volume 9: http://i.imgur.com/RcnDNan.png http://i.imgur.com/KkxTKxe.png
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
^ Technically there's slot for 13 episodes every season so there shouldn't be problem and that's why they can allow themselves to do it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
^ Technically there's slot for 13 episodes every season so there shouldn't be problem and that's why they can allow themselves to do it.

Yeah, there are still four more Saturdays until the end of September, so we should still get episodes 10-12 in addition to next week's special airing of Shou's previously unaired episode 4.5. I wish Crunchyroll would stream that, by the way.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Yeah, there are still four more Saturdays until the end of September, so we should still get episodes 10-12 in addition to next week's special airing of Shou's previously unaired episode 4.5. I wish Crunchyroll would stream that, by the way.

I thought it was the 12.5 episode from the first season?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9 review wrote:
garden-variety introverted edgelord.

That term got a small lol out of me. I hadn't see that term before.

Great review. It really helps one understand what is going on.

A question about Izaya not revealed (unless I missed it) is how he had come to acquire his super-powers. He apparently didn't have them in middle school, edgelord or not.

One thing not mentioned at the very end though. Izaya was expecting something to change with Celty's head when it got close to her and it didn't. What was he expecting out of it? And also how did he realize that Celty knew it was there?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
A question about Izaya not revealed (unless I missed it) is how he had come to acquire his super-powers. He apparently didn't have them in middle school, edgelord or not.

What super powers?
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I may be the odd one for saying this but of all the people to have Celty's head, (aside from Celty herself) Izaya may be the next best option. I'm willing to bet hardly anyone is capable of stealing the head from Izaya, and Izaya himself doesn't seem too interested in the head itself outside of it being a fascinating souvenir or perhaps a form of leverage. So wrong hands, but safe hands?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6