• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flying Witch (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Chito scaring the other familiar was funny.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Another wonderful episode, loved the first half and it made me hungry with the cooking class. I think everyone did a neat job in the end even though Nao had little confidence in her own cooking.

The second half is nice too, loved the fact that everyone had fun working outdoors to pick blossoms and flowers. Oh poor Makoto though lol, I guess the bee didn't like her or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Kind of crazy that I have been doing cooking lately, my recent ones were homemade sausage rolls with chopping onions and such. Started because family tried making hamburgers and they would not stay as a solid, I wonder if this could have helped me see what could have been done to make it a solid.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

In addition to the bit where they throw the meat from hand to hand, there were a lot of ingredients added to that. (BTW I had to look it up, but panko is a special type of Japanese bread crumbs.) The extra ingredients act as a binder to hold the meat together. It will taste really good, but it won't taste like a normal hamburger.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 11-12:

looks like double episode this week to make up for the one skipped last week.

That flying whale is just awesome, never seen anything like it before. I mean, it probably would of been even more amazing to see it in person like Makoto and the others did. Oh and the owl gave me some Hogwarts vibe for some reason. Nice bill Akane lol

Going to miss this show for sure. We need more Comfy on weekends. Rating it very good.. The red hoodie coat also indeed looked awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This show has easily made it to my list of all-time favorites! As such, I'm really sad to see it end and I hope that we can get another season.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
The only complaint I have is that each and every episode seemed to end too soon and the entire series ended much too soon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
If I were up on that once-in-a-blue-moon whale, being hungry is the last thing that would make me leave. Nice to finally see some flying from these last two episodes of Flying Witch.

Oh, and I want to marry Kei.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
That flying whale is just awesome, never seen anything like it before

It looks like something that Hayao Miyazaki would have done. I wonder if he is watching this I am sure he would like it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 11-12 (finale)

For episode 11 I totally knew that Akane was being served a bill. And that pancake bit, or guess in the case it was hotcakes, just makes you hungry. You could feel the last episode was having included the usual re-cap of characters, but is all so chill in general.

Figures I would be rating this right after finishing Tanaka-kun, they are both low energy, although Flying Witch a bit more than the other. What Flying Witch have is what I would say felt like each episode went by super fast, before you knew it the episode was ending, which has to be something positive to say that it could make you forget the time. And I think it was how this show was able to frame everyday life things. Yes this was a mix of slice of life and fantasy, but it was that it could frame the little wonders of everyday life in the setting, and the fantasy elements also within that everyday feel, that made this a compelling watch.

My favourite character in the show was definitely Chinatsu, her actions just felt so genuine as a young girl, but also a silly mischievous that made her fun. Next would be Chito, a really non-verbal character except for the simple meow. Funny bit in the last episode that Chito had chewed up a bit of Makoto's old robe and was trying to escape from it. Also need to mention Kei, her cousin who is responsible but also blows her off first day to party karaoke, he kind of defies the expectations by being oddly feminine with his home skills and being easily scared, but it is not quite made a joke beyond the odd comment that he would make a good wife. The series also lacks romance, which is an oddly refreshing element. Makoto is also a good main character who is not too big a personality, but not quite boring either.

For a rating I will give it a Very good (8/10), it would probably need something just a bit extra to move it up, but it is a perfectly good show for what it is.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For episode 11 I totally knew that Akane was being served a bill.

Forgot about that. What kind of coffee shop runs up a tab to nearly $600 before cutting you off? And where's she going to get that kind of money? She's an amazing girl but she doesn't seem like the type to hold down a job.
Quote:
Figures I would be rating this right after finishing Tanaka-kun, they are both low energy

I'm watching this at the same time as Afro Samurai. How's that for contrast?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the 1st 6 episodes and I'd like to know: Does it actually improve over the remaining 6 episodes? I'm reminded of Haibane Renmei, where the action (or rather, drama in Haibane Renmei's case) kicks in on the 6th episode. Does anything similar happen with Flying Witch? Because right now I find it quite boring.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
I've watched the 1st 6 episodes and I'd like to know: Does it actually improve over the remaining 6 episodes? Because right now I find it quite boring.

No, nothing changes. You have already seen as much excitement as there is in the show. I found Flying Witch immensely charming but it is not for everyone. This is very similar to non non biyori in that "nothing happens but in a good way". You probably need to avoid any show listed as "healing".
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
You probably need to avoid any show listed as "healing".

Thank you for the advice; I was unaware that that they were so listed.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
There's no "healing" genre here in ANN, though I guess there's "iyashikei", but even there there are shows I find really good and shows I find really boring, so dismissing a tag like that is kinda too far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5