• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists Hundred, Taboo Tattoo for BD/DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
How does Funi and CR pick what anime they're releasing and dubbing?

Funimation has stated that strong simulcast numbers play a large part in getting a show dubbed. other factors such as how similar shows performed in the past are taken into account as well, but they have primarily stressed over the years that watching a legal simulcast is the best way to see a dub.

If they are the one's deciding, Id imagine that it works the same way for Crunchyroll
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:
Taboo Tattoo licensed and dubbed? Sometimes I wonder if these companies are intentionally trying to lose money.

I doubt they are losing money on it, but it is definitely an odd choice to release and dub a very disliked title.

Hey, if it worked with Master of Martial Hearts, it could work with Taboo Tattoo.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
My only working theory as to why CR's popular titles aren't getting released is that the cost may just be too high,

My theory is that they are delaying the popular stuff due to fears of reverse importation. Meanwhile unpopular stuff gets the green light earlier since they probably can outsell and even reap more income that the japanese release (Taboo Tattoo sold an average of less than 400 disc sets) since some people enjoy how bad a series can get. Besides, if Funi is ever going to get even with the dubbing costs, they have to release a box set (since Toonami will not license Taboo Tattoo, even for free)..

So what are the chance of Dive!! or Re Creators being Licensed for Home Video releases?

Re: Creators and Saekano 2 will likely be licensed by Aniplex.
Funiroll will probably grab Scum's Wish, Virgin Soul and Inuyashiki.
Ponycan USA already licensed Welcome to the Ballroom.
For Netlfix, I think Aniplex will license Fate/Apocrypha.
Kakegurui, Children of the Whales, ID-0, Blame!, Godzilla, Little Witch Academia an Violet Evergarden will all likely go to Sentai, or Funiroll.
leelee85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
leelee85 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
My only working theory as to why CR's popular titles aren't getting released is that the cost may just be too high,

My theory is that they are delaying the popular stuff due to fears of reverse importation. Meanwhile unpopular stuff gets the green light earlier since they probably can outsell and even reap more income that the japanese release (Taboo Tattoo sold an average of less than 400 disc sets) since some people enjoy how bad a series can get. Besides, if Funi is ever going to get even with the dubbing costs, they have to release a box set (since Toonami will not license Taboo Tattoo, even for free)..

So what are the chance of Dive!! or Re Creators being Licensed for Home Video releases?

Re: Creators and Saekano 2 will likely be licensed by Aniplex.
Funiroll will probably grab Scum's Wish, Virgin Soul and Inuyashiki.
Ponycan USA already licensed Welcome to the Ballroom.
For Netlfix, I think Aniplex will license Fate/Apocrypha.
Kakegurui, Children of the Whales, ID-0, Blame!, Godzilla, Little Witch Academia an Violet Evergarden will all likely go to Sentai, or Funiroll.

But what About Dive!! and Battery?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
But what About Dive!! and Battery?

Aniplex produced Dive!! and Battery, so if anyone licenses it, it'll be AoA.

If not them, probably Funi. Sentai only licenses shows they think will be successful with a wider audience, and only takes risks/niche shows if it's a moe show, give or take a few titles. Funi may take Dive!! due to its Free! similarities and they would probably be the only licensor to risk taking Battery, considering its worse-than-usual reception.

EDIT: There is also the possibility that Anime Strike/Amazon will just dub and release these themselves. They are a huge company and can afford to do it; they could just sell the discs on their site. Anime Strike has only been around for close to a year now, they could want to expand what they do. Getting exclusive dubs on their platform will serve the dub-only part of the community that has no reason to buy a Strike sub right now.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
EDIT: There is also the possibility that Anime Strike/Amazon will just dub and release these themselves.

As I said before, it's quite unlikely Amazon will. They no doubt buy dubs made by other companies, but paying for dubs of other companies properties when they have shows they own a 100%? Quite unlikley, best case scenario any anime series they have an exclusivity deal will have to wait until Amazon finishes dubbing their own.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
EDIT: There is also the possibility that Anime Strike/Amazon will just dub and release these themselves.

As I said before, it's quite unlikely Amazon will. They no doubt buy dubs made by other companies, but paying for dubs of other companies properties when they have shows they own a 100%? Quite unlikley, best case scenario any anime series they have an exclusivity deal will have to wait until Amazon finishes dubbing their own.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean here. I'm not talking about Amazon dubbing a Sentai title, I mean something like Re:Creators or Scum's Wish which is owned 100% by them. Since they even have a "Dubs" section of their service I wouldn't be surprised if they started dubbing their exclusives.

Note that I don't consider any Sentai title an exclusive since I'm willing to bet that once their AS titles hit home video they'll put them on HIDIVE.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
I mean something like Re:Creators or Scum's Wish which is owned 100% by them.

I think you are a bit confused, amazon does not own Scum Wish or Re:Creators look for the word "Production" you will see names like Aniplex but not Amazon. Amazon has an exclusivity contract for an undisclosed number of years to stream said shows worldwide. They do not have the rights for TV or cable broadcast (so said shows could appear in say, Toonami) nor disc production (those have to be negotiated separately with the japanese committee). Netflix is on the same boat, but they are a streaming company only, so they have a lot more interest in making their new series have high ratings, meanwhile amazon strike is content atm with increasing their subscriber base and for that new "must see" shows will suffice, even if they are subtitled only.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
I mean something like Re:Creators or Scum's Wish which is owned 100% by them.

I think you are a bit confused, amazon does not own Scum Wish or Re:Creators look for the word "Production" you will see names like Aniplex but not Amazon. Amazon has an exclusivity contract for an undisclosed number of years to stream said shows worldwide. They do not have the rights for TV or cable broadcast (so said shows could appear in say, Toonami) nor disc production (those have to be negotiated separately with the japanese committee). Netflix is on the same boat, but they are a streaming company only, so they have a lot more interest in making their new series have high ratings, meanwhile amazon strike is content atm with increasing their subscriber base.

Sorry about the error, I mean they own the license. Fair enough, but I wonder how much longer they'll be content with their numbers
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Sorry about the error, I mean they own the license. Fair enough, but I wonder how much longer they'll be content with their numbers

Just last month Crunchyroll announced they will start dubbing anime to spanish, german and french. They will start with some old series next season and we should start imo seeing simulcasts next year (2018). The fact that amazon has not made a similar announcement for anime strike means you will not see any dubs from them in 2018. Just like animation that has to be prepared in advance (one year being the bare minimum), the same applies to dubs, you can't just expect to have a team of professionals available at any time, that goes double for english dubs since the talent pool is limited and fragmented (and some of it is exclusive to funimation).
sonryu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't happen very often, but once in a blue moon, I'll watch an anime series (fansubbed as it's airing) and decide I didn't like it enough to want to buy it if it's licensed and released domestically. I think the last time that happened was with Ragnarok The Animation (aired 2004). While Hundred was ok at best, Taboo Tattoo fell flat pretty hard (in my opinion). I think these two will be making the shortlist with Ragnarok... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
leelee85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Just last month Crunchyroll announced they will start dubbing anime to spanish, german and french. They will start with some old series next season and we should start imo seeing simulcasts next year (2018). The fact that amazon has not made a similar announcement for anime strike means you will not see any dubs from them in 2018. Just like animation that has to be prepared in advance (one year being the bare minimum), the same applies to dubs, you can't just expect to have a team of professionals available at any time, that goes double for english dubs since the talent pool is limited and fragmented (and some of it is exclusive to funimation).

No it doesn't.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Same. Fingers crossed that Re:Creators and Virgin Soul will be picked up by them one day.

This. Need to see them get these and give them dubs. Even though Amazon has the streaming for it I still expect them to especially get Virgin Soul for home video since they got the first series.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Fingers crossed that Re:Creators and Virgin Soul will be picked up by them one day.

Need to see them get these and give them dubs.

If Funimation made a dub of any of those two it would become Aniplex property and they would no doubt sell instantly the streaming rights to Amazon Strike. That would be helping Funi's competitor. The Seven Deadly Sins on the other hand were already dubbed by Netflix, so Funi buying the disc distribution rights had no such problem.

So if Sentai does not makes a dub and get's the disc ditribution rights, chances are Aniplex will release a costly and dubless singles with 3-4 episodes.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
leelee85 wrote:
So how can Anime Strike can compete with Funimation/Crunchyroll partership if they (Anime Strike by Amazon) is not going to dub their non Sentai Licensed exclusives?

They just operate at a significant loss. Amazon has done this strategy countless times already. They don't need to make money to stay competitive as they make exorbitant amounts of money off of their Prime subs.

If you mean the subscriptions, then you are actually incorrect. Amazon actually loses a lot of money on Prime subscriptions themselves. The shipping costs alone cost more per subscriber than what they earn from Prime memberships, and that's before you factor in the other perks like free ebooks, video, etc.

They make money off Prime subscribers because they are more likely to shop at Amazon frequently. The lost revenue is often made up by the margins on products that they order. Not to mention, Amazon's big money maker is in fact it's web services business, which in addition to cloud storage for a number of companies like Apple, also hosts the majority of video streaming services on the internet.

Overall, Amazon is not an especially profitable company. It lost money for well over a decade, and its profit margins are even slimmer than most large retailers. They still have a large debt pile from when they were burning cash. But unlike Netflix and other companies with substantial debt burdens, Amazon has very high cash flow that can fund operations (even if the cash flow isn't profit at the moment.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5