• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
OMG! Shocked Bridget Hoffman!!! Thank the heavens she's one of the cast here!
I'm a fan of Bridget Hoffman.
So Asakuru Ryouko, she's a secondary character, no? Does she get much screentime? Hehehe.
I haven't watched any of this series, and I hear it's immensely popular and successful, thus I may consider buying this when it is released.
I'll buy it because Bandai have chosen "The Best Dub Studio on Earth" - Bang Zoom! Entertainment. Very Happy Yeah! #1!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
naushika wrote:
Anime VAs do voices for a living, much like the people that used to be in disney productions before they began to rely on mostly celebrity talent and recognizable "big names." (For instance, anyone remember the voice actors in the Little Mermaid? None of them "big names." Beauty and the Beast? Other than Angela Lansbury and the guy from MASH who played Cogsworth, none were recognizable. ...see my point?)

I don't think that the actors who voiced characters in movies like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast just did voices for a living. I think a lot of them were just lesser-known actors, of which there are many, many more compared to those actors who have "celebrity status" and "big names." Actually, I find it interesting that you mentioned "the guy from MASH who played Cogsworth" (David Ogden Stiers) because he's done voicework for a few Ghibli movies (Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, and My Neighbors the Yamadas). The other names I remember (from off the top of my head) from Beauty and the Beast are Richard White as Gaston, Jerry Orbach as Lumiere, Paige O'hara as Belle, and Robby Benson as Beast. Robby Benson's performance as Beast is actually one of my most favorite performances ever! Anime hyper (And Beauty and the Beast is one of my comfort movies! So maybe that's why I remember. Anime catgrin)

I just went and plucked my old Disney's Art of Animation: from Mickey Mouse to Beauty and the Beast (by Bob Thomas) from my library, and it seems that many of the actors in Beauty and the Beast were considered stage-trained actors (as opposed to an actor who has just worked in movies, I guess). In fact, there's a quote from Kirk Wise (the co-director) in which he says, "Actors in the theater are required to project more, and that's what is needed in animation"(Thomas, 162). Isn't that true of a lot of American anime voice actors, too? Haven't a lot of them practiced their craft on the stage?

Malintex Terek wrote:
Thirdly, while actors might be "great", that doesn't mean people don't grow bored with them; because the market pool is so small for actors, and that anime companies are acting somewhat oligopolistic, we're forced to hear them in a huge number of shows. This become a turn-off to anime in general, which I'm sure no company wants to cause.
Huh. I didn't realize that people got bored with hearing certain actors over and over again. Most of the time, I don't even realize who's doing a character's voice unless I read the credits or look it up in Anime News Network's encyclopedia. There are some voice actors I've heard again and again and I haven't even realized it! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop However, most, if not all, of the voice actors I do recognize have voices that I enjoy hearing again and again, especially if I get to hear a differenct variance of their voice that shows how "adaptable" their voice is. I love Johnny Yong Bosch's Vash, Kiba, and Renton. I love Crispin Freeman's Alucard, Tsume, and Holland. I guess I actually find it fun to hear them doing lots of different roles! And as for Wendee Lee...strangely enough, I have trouble recognizing her voice, though if she is using a voice like Faye Valentine's, I can usually tell that it's her voice. Maybe some people are just more sensitive to voices than others, just like some people can pick out things in music that other's cannot?

Delphina wrote:
Dub studios don't care if a story is good, or work to think of how best to represent the stories they tell artistically. They just shove Michelle Ruff and Crispin Freeman into the roles over and over again and hope they can pull it off.

Personally, I've always believed and hoped the opposite of this. While I haven't done any research on what dub studios are like, based upon the work that is their finished product, it seems like they do their best and do care about the stories they are trying to translate for an American audience.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
They could have cast Peewee Herman and the zombified corpse of Tiny Tim to do everyone in the show for all I care. Avast me hearties, set sail for the sub-titles!

Yeah me too. I almost NEVER watch anime dubbed. The only time I care is when they are putting the show on TV. Then I have to suffer threw the dub or purchase. But since I am buying haruhi they can pick whoever and it won't matter the slightest bit too me.
On a side note I consider myself a serious anime fan yet I am amazed at how many of you can distinguish English dub actors. I don't know who any of these people are. I am sure I have heard them in a dub or two, but I have never bothered to learn their real names. So kudos to all of you who can actually form an opinion based on this information. For me I would have to check the encyclopedia and hope they did a show I watched in English before i could express an opinion. Which I am not going to bother to do because as long as the Japanese track with subtitles is available I will be 100% happy.
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Aleclom wrote:
I'm looking forward to this! I only hope that Stephanie Sheh can pull of Mikuru's dying animal noises that she makes. I also can't wait to hear Wendee Lee sing God Knows... :O

somehow i kinda doubt that the'll dub that. They'd have to do the opening and closing too though because Haruhi's VA sings it all.
Faceman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm just sick of people claiming that the US dub is going to suck with absolute certainty. I wasn't aware that you had an advance copy of the dub, while the rest of us will have to wait until May 29th for the release.

I'm not saying it won't suck. I'm not saying it's going to be super special awesome either. I'm just saying to wait and actually watch the dub before you write your review of it.
FlimJam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
You know, I'm just sick of people claiming that the US dub is going to suck with absolute certainty. I wasn't aware that you had an advance copy of the dub, while the rest of us will have to wait until May 29th for the release.

I'm not saying it won't suck. I'm not saying it's going to be super special awesome either. I'm just saying to wait and actually watch the dub before you write your review of it.

Exactly...wait for it to be released before passing judgment.
Animedude35

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
People just like to talk about this and that, and to trigger a response from the community to see how people would react. Haruhi is a big license so many people are going to look through this tread and see what other people think. I see that many of the people are critizing the actors or the dub company itself without the actual product in place. Although we heard snips of their roles, it doesn't really give a true sense of how the dub is going to be until we actually see some of the episodes.

This tread is actually a very funny read when lots of people are arguing if the dub is good or not. I do think MT will support Haruhi, and he's obviously smart enough to know that he doesn't have to watch the dubs on the dvds, but it's funnier to see how people react to those that do =P
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I TOTALLY CALLED CRISPIN AS KYON!

Well see, when I was watching it, I saw the Japanese voice of Kyon was Hideki of Chobits and thinking, "If that's the case I could totally see Crispin doing Kyon as a kind of 'deeper, more Togusa-like, but still pervy Hideki' . But I thought, nah, I doubt they'd get a veteran like him especially because I remember him saying on his Webgroup that he was taking a step back from Anime roles.

I'm liking that cast.
S0litaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:

LoLx1000!!!

...Maybe I'll try watcing the dub of this show and see if I like it better, I'm one of the people on the "melancholy of the overrated" train, but if the english dub is equally good (which it looks to be) I may have to see this for meself.

I feel the exact same way.
coffee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I can see the rabid fans queuing up outside of Best Buys before the open to get their DVD copy. It's going to be like a console launch all over again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
coffee wrote:
I can see the rabid fans queuing up outside of Best Buys before the open to get their DVD copy. It's going to be like a console launch all over again.

We're not going to be able to find the DVDs even two months after they're released?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Maybe some people are just more sensitive to voices than others, just like some people can pick out things in music that other's cannot?

It's an taste derived through experience; hearing enough Ocean Studios hirees in numerous Gundam products would likely irritate even the most die-hard fan, since with each new Gundam series there's a whole different cast, which isn't the case if Gundam goes through Ocean. BZE is hardly alone in this, but since they're pooling from California they've got access to the largest reservoir of talent, even if said talent hasn't been "refined" yet.

From a "casual anime fan"'s perspective, that is, a person who has seen a few subs and dubs but hasn't fully ingrained sterotypes of voice actors (not me), the VA's in Haruhi would be a "hey, I've heard [insert thespian] before!", which is why I find this casting problematic. Granted, we can't do anything about it, and I'm not complaining here because I'd want those actors/actresses fired (rather, it would be cruel to do that after handing them the job); I'm bringing my concerns to light because I want to see less of these archaic "play it safe" casts in the future.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:

So Asakuru Ryouko, she's a secondary character, no? Does she get much screentime? Hehehe.

Not much screentime overall I would say, but she is particularly important in some episodes. It's definitely the perfect kind of role for Bridget Hoffman too, in more ways than one.
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Isn't that true of a lot of American anime voice actors, too? Haven't a lot of them practiced their craft on the stage?

I know Crispin Freeman, at least, has not only worked the stage, but in fact has Broadway experience. He also has a Masters in acting from Columbia, according to his Wikipedia entry. He mentioned something about his stage experience in the Hellsing Ultimate extras, and given his vocal type, I'm suprised I'd never thought of it before. I'd expect to find a lot of stage experience among VAs, since the skill sets are similar. You can't use subtle facial expressions (due to the necessary distance from the audience) or rely on tricks of cinematography to get over as a stage actor, so a stong, emotive voice is paramount. Obviously the same is going to be true with voice acting.

I see MT's point, in that, while we will certainly get a very proficient dub from these actors, since no one is knocking their talent (should the directing or adaptation not screw it all up), it's a shame that other, just as good, yet more inexperienced VAs don't get the chance to show their skills. Problem is, we're not in Japan. Voice acting in the States, as MT has noted, has nowhere near the talent pool or job pool of Japan. More animation doesn't make it over here than does, and what does has to make money, or people lose jobs. There's also a healthy domestic animation industry that rightly sees anime as competition for shelf space and broadcast time, and does what they can to limit that competion's growth, often with the backing of well-funded Hollywood studios (Time Warner, Dreamworks). Even Bandai, despite their position as one of the biggest anime distributors in the US (if not the biggest) can't afford to just throw crap to the wall and hope it sticks, the way, say, Sunrise does in Japan, especially after their GSD fiasco. God only knows how ADV stays afloat. Maybe FUNimation pays them to be their recruitment branch? Considering the popularity and high profile of this series, Bandai has no choice but to try to make the best show they can, and that means not being able to take a chance on less-proven talent. That's what lower profile series are for (when they're even licensed in the first place).

It may be a shame, but it's not a waste. Being a waste would imply that either the talent is too good for the series, or the series is too good for the talent. Neither is the case.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
We're not going to be able to find the DVDs even two months after they're released?

DVDs come out on Tuesdays, but Best Buy always seems to get them (especially the popular ones) the week or weekend before release date, if they get them on time at all. While you aren't going to see them break street date with the latest Bruce Willis release, or the latest season of Lost, most locations I've been to have no problem dumping freshly received anime onto the sales floor to free up precious room in the warehouse for a pallet of Crappy Movie of the Week 3 or a couple 72" rear projection TVs. I picked up at least 5 of the 13 FMA DVDs at least a week before street (one was two weeks), and as pretty much the only major outlet that carries anime in any real capacity, they often make deals to get some anime before anyone else does (Shakugan no Shana #1, for instance, was on Best Buy shelves, legitimately, about a month before it hit anywhere else). What this means is, take what you see on animeondvd.com with a grain of salt. Check Best Buy's site for their release date as well (sometimes it's actually later) and if you really want to have the first hands on a release, check the new release table and anime aisle the Tuesday before street date (when they dump that week's new releases and anything else new that they need to move to make room), and check the anime aisle the Monday before street date (when they restock after the weekend). If you have to show up the day of, make it early, because there are anime fans who have your same level of internet access and considerably more free time, who will show up at 9am to get that last "Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 - Journey to Ishbal + Series Tin Box 3."

Just like that !^$#%& in line as I was walking out emptyhanded at 9:15.

And they usually restock within a week or two. It's not the end of the world, and there's always bestbuy.com...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7