• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singapore's Odex Subs Haruhi with Similar Text to Fansub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dKiWi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
we WANT them to reply. We have given them ample opportunity on their forums and even other local forums for past issues. The fact is they dun give a crap unless email the issue to our local papers and blow it up, which is what I am NOT doing now. I'm kind of like giving them a chance to respond before I fire the email.

4 more days it is.

They are also keeping really silent about how MDA (Media Development Authority of Singapore) says that ODEX's subtitles have to be accurate before submitting to them for an age group rating. In other words, MDA is saying its not their fault ODEX's subtitles are crap i.e. it is ODEX's fault.

ODEX has not issued an official statement for about a month now.
chan wai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
This is so stupid. Its no diffrent from downloading. This proof how lazy they are.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quote
Haruhi with a.f.k-like subbing?

It's already better than Bandai/Kadokawa's release, then, hypocritical or not. Not that I haven't been buying that release, but the overly literal subtitles are a bother.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
axeps2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote
"http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1736427&page=6&pp=15"

Anyone knows for sure whether Odex 's release of Nanoha is before its Haruhi?

Odex seems to be improving from copy word for word to "heavily referenced". Who knows, they may even learn the refined art of PARAPHRASE in future.

Anyway, it will be harder to spot the similarities in their future work as Singaporeans are not supposed to have access to fansubs anymore.

Wait.... is that planned?
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
Hasn't Odex been the bane of fans before for really bad engrishy subtitles? I guess instead of hiring better translators they just copied the fansub scripts
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a lawyer, but I rather doubt that this is legal for Odex to do (without having beforehand obtained a court decision saying the result of a.f.k.'s illegal translation belongs to the original copyright holder).

When a company legally obtains a license to create a derivative work such as a translation, when that license expires, the derivative work that resulted cannot simply be turned around and sold by the original rights holder unless expressly so indicated in the original contract. Licenses are also geographical rather than linguistic; if a Japanese company licenses something for North America and then turns around and sells the U.K. rights to a different company, the U.K. company cannot just wait until the North American version comes out and then copy their translation, unless they in turn license the translation from the North American company.

I cannot imagine that the same would not be true for illegal, unlicensed translations. While a court case might determine that the original copyright holder could assume control of the resulting derivative work, I think it would take a court decision—it wouldn't just be automatic.

If it were automatic, then companies would have been using (or at least working from) fansub translations for years simply because of economic reasons (companies love to save money), but in general they have not.
Pete577

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
God I hate hypocrisy. Great work, Odex. You produce sh*ty subs, sue any fan who can do it better, and steal their work. I applaud you.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Pete577 wrote:
God I hate hypocrisy. Great work, Odex. You produce sh*ty subs, sue any fan who can do it better, and steal their work. I applaud you.
We had this thread awhile back about this general topic, and one of abunai's posts is of particular relevance. While I don't think Odex is OMG EVIL for doing this, it does show some hypocrisy in saying "We hate fansubs and illegal downloads, but we're going to turn around and use fansub subtitles anyway." If they've been doing this with their Singapore releases, I wonder if they've done the same on their outsourced R1 work like Fantastic Children, Karin, and other series? I haven't bothered to check FC against the mahou fansubs, and Karin is a more difficult task since it was completed by 3 groups...one of them being a.f.k..

EDIT 12-30-07: I randomly checked episode 15 of Fantastic Children on the Bandai release (dubbed and possibly subbed by Odex) and the mahou fansub release, and I didn't see any major similarities on complex lines.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete577

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Pete577 wrote:
We had this thread awhile back about this general topic, and one of abunai's posts is of particular relevance. While I don't think Odex is OMG EVIL for doing this, it does show some hypocrisy in saying "We hate fansubs and illegal downloads, but we're going to turn around and use fansub subtitles anyway." If they've been doing this with their Singapore releases, I wonder if they've done the same on their outsourced R1 work like Fantastic Children, Karin, and other series? I haven't bothered to check FC against the mahou fansubs, and Karin is a more difficult task since it was completed by 3 groups...one of them being a.f.k..

Yeah, I understand that series' need to be bought to be supported, and I do that, but it is still pretty rediculous how they throw the book at these people. Is the punishment harsh? I hope not. Fansubbers are just fans. I dont think they deserve uber-punishment for their crazed fandom.
Talon87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Anybody who speaks Japanese and claims that there is 0% probability of Odex and a.f.k. subbing the same sentences the same way frustrates the hell out of me. If you've read every post so far as I have, then you know I must be pretty frustrated by now.

The screenshots in question are both (a) too few and (b) too general to make a solid case on. I would be far more impressed if the screenshots in question were from Kyon's talk about not believing in Santa Claus (beginning of Episode 2, opening to Chapter 01 of the first book) since that is extremely advanced Japanese with a highly complex grammar and vocabulary that can be translated as many ways under the sun as there are fansub groups. (And, as Tempest has already insinuated, a.f.k.'s handling of such dialogues was absolutely superb, arguably transcending professional standards.)

But this isn't the Santa Claus speech. This is just three isolated sentences from Haruhi's video. I mean, it may not be Dick & Jane, but for goodness sake, folks, it is possible for two individuals to translate the same thing the exact same way. If you believe that two people can invent calculus independently from one another within the same century, then you must believe that it's possible for two speakers of Japanese -- one who is a professionally-paid translator, the other who ought to be but does things for free -- to translate a few sentences the exact same way.

In this day and age where we have easy access to Youtube videos, I'm a little suspicious as to why the accusers of Odex's unoriginality have failed to provide us with more than a few screencaps from the first episode. :\ Somebody upload the video to Youtube and let us see for ourselves just how much matches up with a.f.k.'s sub and just how much doesn't.
dKiWi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
becoz we're juz plain lazy. Hahaha...

Anyway if their appeal to convict PACNET fails on OCT 3rd, then there is no need to take further action as they have it bad enough. But if it is successful, I'll tape all of the episodes from the 3rd onwards.

And anyway I'm already buying the LE versions of the DVDs from Bandai so I'm not afraid of admitting I have the subs.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
The screenshots in question are both (a) too few and (b) too general to make a solid case on.
While I agree with (a), these lines are not as insignificant as you make them out to be. These lines are not straight forward and if you check other versions, they all differ from what Strato put in both word choice and syntax. That these lines are exactly the same in word choice and syntax is the key.

Quote:
I mean, it may not be Dick & Jane, but for goodness sake, folks, it is possible for two individuals to translate the same thing the exact same way. If you believe that two people can invent calculus independently from one another within the same century, then you must believe that it's possible for two speakers of Japanese -- one who is a professionally-paid translator, the other who ought to be but does things for free -- to translate a few sentences the exact same way.
Except, while the two versions of calculus that were invented had the same meaning, they look completely different in notation (syntax) and word choice.

While it is possible for them to be exactly the same in many cases, this is not one of them. As was said before, there are multiple lines which would prove if the translation was stolen because it is statistically impossible to match what Strato put.
Talon87

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Talon87 wrote:
If you believe that two people can invent calculus independently from one another within the same century, then you must believe that it's possible for two speakers of Japanese -- one who is a professionally-paid translator, the other who ought to be but does things for free -- to translate a few sentences the exact same way.
Except, while the two versions of calculus that were invented had the same meaning, they look completely different in notation (syntax) and word choice.
For God's sake, don't over-analyze the metaphor. Imagine (for sake of argument) that the notations were both dx/dy format and get on with it. :p

Since the metaphor seems to be a source of mental constipation, I'll dispense with it and cut to the chase: here is my personal translation (without checking any notes) for Naruto ED #4: "Everyone makes mistakes; it's not something to be embarassed about." And here's the ANBU one: "Everyone makes mistakes; it's nothing to be ashamed of." Here we see the "proof" of the argument everybody keeps voicing -- that no two people will translate the same thing exactly the same way. But think about it: there are millions of proficient speakers of Japanese and only so many possible Japanese-to-English translations that would be considered scholastically correct. I'm willing to bet -- no, insisting -- that that second number is smaller than the first by several orders of magnitude, i.e. we would expect not one but hundreds or even thousands of people to translate identical to Stratos for the few pics shown. With each additional pic shown that has identical lyrics, the smaller the chances that it's a Stratos-like doppelganger and the greater the chances that Odex filched.

We agree on that point, anyway. And I think we also agree that, regardless of how this story pans out, Odex is made of fail.
technokiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
There has been so many cases of identical translation. Odex is horrible. In Singapore, there are stalls set up near public transport selling Anti-Odex t-shirt. Hopefully Odex "un-license" Haruhi. Please.
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote
technokiddo wrote:
There has been so many cases of identical translation. Odex is horrible. In Singapore, there are stalls set up near public transport selling Anti-Odex t-shirt. Hopefully Odex "un-license" Haruhi. Please.

Ha! You should be wondering if Odex has the FULL license at all to begin with. Remember how it turns out that the only real license they have is for Mobile Suit Gundam SEED "-_-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5