• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Druaga Now Available in Global Streams, Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robtf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
The other version of episode 1 is going to be a DVD extra on the first DVD in Japan, though. No indication of any others like it.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Yes, there are two episode one.

http://www.druaga-anime.com/story.html

Not sure what exactly GONZO is planning to do here.
WileyOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for clearing that up.

So is it only episode 1 that gets another version? Doing another version of every single comedic episode seems expensive to produce to me.

Edit: feels like they did a Haruhi. Shocked
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
I just wish that the subtitles were placed a little higher above the bottom of the video.

I can second this, as if you try playing BOST's PSP-formatted file on a PS3 it cuts off part of the bottom of the subs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
mewtwo wrote:
I just wish that the subtitles were placed a little higher above the bottom of the video.

I can second this, as if you try playing BOST's PSP-formatted file on a PS3 it cuts off part of the bottom of the subs.

That's actually your TV's overscan that cuts off the edges of the picture, not the PS3.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
I don't really have the faith to start watching this series whilst it's being aired.
Once all the episodes are out and the series gets reviewed by those who watched all of it I'll consider giving this a try on whatever system is best. It's most probable however that I'll skip it altogether and persue something I'm more likely to enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
For teenagers that bitch and moan about spending money, they're willing to throw away $30 for what could've been used to buy a boxed set . >.> *siiigh.*

People, spending money on supporting anime? I don't think we should be complaining about this kind of thing happening.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
This animu suck up to high horses.

I gotta tell ya, though: Nice experiment for Gonzo to use. Wrong anime to use it with.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Has anyone got CrunchyRoll's PayPal Checkout to work yet? Surely this must be losing them a lot of money? I'm considering paying $0 to download it now then paying again later, but I hate to add to their 'people who won't pay a cent' statistics.

As for Druaga, as other people have commented: Unexpectedly hilarious -- don't know if they can keep it up, though.
ShinK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why nobody has mentioned this as of now. The download of the high quality version on crunchyroll seems to be regional restricted.
People outside of the USA and UK (and maybe a few countries with english as native language) can't seem to download it.
That's really odd because there was no information of this. I was really pissed off, when i got this error-message: "Sorry, legal restrictions prevent us from letting you download this file. =("
And that happened AFTER paying... The site-admin was kind enough to refund my money though.

Now I really wonder why there are regional restrictions for the download and not the stream. Does this have anything to do with local distributors? I doubt that anyone here knows, so i wrote an email to GDH. I'm anxious to see their answer.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
This animu suck up to high horses.

I gotta tell ya, though: Nice experiment for Gonzo to use. Wrong anime to use it with.

The reactions I've seen have been almost universally positive. Considering you're the first to dissent in such a way, I'd say it's the perfect anime to try it on.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
ShinK wrote:
Now I really wonder why there are regional restrictions for the download and not the stream. Does this have anything to do with local distributors? I doubt that anyone here knows, so i wrote an email to GDH. I'm anxious to see their answer.

I've heard that the subbed streams don't work for people in Japan.
WileyOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Zoe,

They're not supposed to. The subbed streams are for everyone but the Japanese because they're supposed to watch it from their own channels or something like that.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
WileyOtaku wrote:
Zoe,

They're not supposed to. The subbed streams are for everyone but the Japanese because they're supposed to watch it from their own channels or something like that.

That's the theory, sure, but it's really quite idiotic. Are they trying to say they're afraid of "reverse importation" of a free stream that would compete with their own domestic free stream?

The real reason they are locked is because gyao has an exclusive contract to the internet streaming rights in Japan, so if Gonzo let any other site stream within Japan they would be breaking their contract with Gyao.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the first episode and thought it was decent.It's old school anime comedy.If you are famillar with Tower of Druaga (1984) this title brings back a lot of memories for me.As for the perversion,that comes from the Namco territory.When my aunt worked at Namco Hometech in California(I would hang out with her),there were a lot of hotties walking around the upper offices.The bigwigs love the perversion and it's evident in a lot of the Namco game illustrations.They have a lot of fun with it,you guys are probably more famillar with Soul Caliber and Tekken.I think the perversion part was Gonzo's way of pleasing the higher ups.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5