• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Streams Kite: Liberator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mevious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on actually getting an anime on ANNtv. I just watched the dub, and I didn't encounter any problems. I'm using DSL, and Google Chrome is my browser.

Liberator didn't really seem to go anywhere, but I really enjoyed it. It was like watching a strange B-movie. Cute lead, Very nice action scenes, little real plot, and a strange ending.

How does the ad system work? Do you get more cash if I click on the links, or is that not necessary?
Gage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Since the contract is a private matter between ANN and MB, I won't bother correcting or confirming his assumption, or publicizing any details that don't affect the public.

Oh I see. It's business. That should be naturally understood by most people.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
That said, might it be possible for subscribers to get access to this feature regardless of their physical location? We are after all paying customers.

Sadly, that would get us sued. Someone has the EU license, and if allowed you to watch the video it would be seen as piracy for subscription fees.

You know, what all those bad sites out there do.

Quote:
ETA: Probably related to this new feature, all videos on ANN now show an ad image (overlaid over the Flash player) at the start. Please turn that off for subscribers.

It shouldn't show on every trailer, but only 1out of 3. The ad-free option for subscribers is only web-ads. We were clear about that in the subscriber forum when we launched the video, but if you weren't aware, that means we weren't clear enough. I'll have to address that (if you subscribed believing video would be 100% ad-free and feel that the subscription is not worth it otherwise, PM me and I'll refund the unused portion of your subscription).

I want to give an ad-free option for video too, but the problem is that at our current, ultra-cheap subscription fees, it wouldn't cover the video costs, so ad-free video was long-ago deemed to be an extra charge when we got around to it. The other problem is that some of our licenses may be revenue share models, and we would need to find a way to calculate how much subscription revenue we need to share with licensors.

A two-tier system, where ANN produced content is ad-free for one price, and licensed content is free for a higher cost, might be an option.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Mevious wrote:
How does the ad system work? Do you get more cash if I click on the links, or is that not necessary?

It's always better if people click on ads. But in the long term, fake clicks just lower CPM rates all-around.

So click on ads that interest you.

-t
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
It shouldn't show on every trailer, but only 1out of 3. The ad-free option for subscribers is only web-ads. We were clear about that in the subscriber forum when we launched the video, but if you weren't aware, that means we weren't clear enough. I'll have to address that (if you subscribed believing video would be 100% ad-free and feel that the subscription is not worth it otherwise, PM me and I'll refund the unused portion of your subscription).

I subscribed because I find ANN's encyclopedia and anime lists and forum useful, and want to support the site, not to get rid of advertisements. If that's all I wanted I'd simply add the appropriate patterns to AdBlock. I suppose I'll do that now for the video ads.
Zivil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Opinions about content and snarky comments aside, I would just like to say thanks to ANN for taking this great first step that shows continuing improvement on this website and for legal promotion of this hobby.

As far as lack of access is concerned, hopefully this could lead to some partnership arrangement in the future so that other regions would have similar access. I don't really like the region arrangement, but I do understand the legitimacy of it.

As for content, I haven't yet seen Kite: Liberator and am looking forward to it. It will at least give me a better opinion as to whether or not I want to add it to my collection. I would really love to be able to see some of the titles that are no longer available or at least hard to get, such as those given in Justin's Buried Treasure column.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Zivil wrote:
I would really love to be able to see some of the titles that are no longer available or at least hard to get, such as those given in Justin's Buried Treasure column.

I have no idea how feasible any of those might be but I really like that idea! Hopefully over time they'll find a way to make them available again.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
This is indeed worthy of saying BOOSH! Very Happy I'll check this out later tonight.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
As cool as this is compared to the original, this is an abomination to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
tempest wrote:
Since the contract is a private matter between ANN and MB, I won't bother correcting or confirming his assumption, or publicizing any details that don't affect the public.

Oh I see. It's business. That should be naturally understood by most people.

Actually, it should be. The public isn't normally privy to contracts that don't immediately concern them, be they between businesses or individuals. So much time and effort would be wasted, especially when in the grand scheme of things not many people even care enough to read a contract that isn't binding on them or their company.
naruhodo569

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I think its nice that some companies are opening up to this sort of thing now, and I hope that it will expand in scope Stateside, and hopefully worldwide as well.

I do think its rather weird that there was no warning about the graphic content of the movie though. Someone asked earlier if it would be PG or more like R, and I'm not sure if someone answered him, but this would definitely be considered R....I think at least.

Normal fanservce aside, we've got subplots that deal with child-rape, and there's even partial nudity. Its a good thing the age of majority in Japan is 20, otherwise the lead might be a bit too young to be showing that kinda stuff.

That aside, it was entertaining enough. Not very deep, but like someone said, it was good in a "Fun B movie" kinda way.

oh and its usually not considered kosher to add -san to your own name =P
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
naruhodo569 wrote:
I do think its rather weird that there was no warning about the graphic content of the movie though. Someone asked earlier if it would be PG or more like R, and I'm not sure if someone answered him, but this would definitely be considered R....I think at least.

That's a very good point, thank you for bringing it up. We'll look into adding visible ratings notices in the future.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I confess I haven't checked out ANN's new video section, but I'm gonna check this out now. Very nice. This, NBC.com, Hulu.com. Very nice to see some legit streaming sources on the web.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was very cool (besides the all too abrupt ending). Thanks ANN and MB! I had no problems at all and now I'm off to Amazon to get the DVD. I feel sorry for all the detractors and people having problems.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Wow, that was very cool (besides the all too abrupt ending). Thanks ANN and MB! I had no problems at all and now I'm off to Amazon to get the DVD. I feel sorry for all the detractors and people having problems.

Let me use this opportunity to pimp our price comparison feature. In the list at the right of the video player, you'll see a dropdown box with "Buy". If you select "DVD", it will show you the online store with the cheapest price. At the moment it's a tie between DVD Empire and Anime Castle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8