• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:
I chalked it up to one of those little visual explanations they toss in sometimes, y'know like the one in the opening that explains alchemy? Since his eyes are blacked out, that's just what made sense to me.

This was my interpretation of it too. I just assumed he was going to be 'nameless old alchemist' used to demonstrate some idea whilst people were talking about stuff.
swordmaster56

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Good News for all European Brotherhood fans
Panini will start steraming episodes of brotherhood on their youtube channel. Today on May 16th they will start uploading the first 7 episodes with optional subtitles in 11! languages. One every day. Then from May 27th on they will upload new episodes shortly after airing in Japan. With subtitles of course. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
The episodes will be in HD. (youtube HD that is.)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
As for the manga, I've read all 95 chapters, but only own the first eight volumes.

I only have the first volume from Viz. Might just get the cheaper Chuang-Yi edition, which is in stock locally; I can always fill in the gaps via a trip to Singapore.

Still haven't watched the movie. Holding off on buying the first anime series while I get some OOP stuff (doubt that FMA will go OOP anytime soon), like R.O.D the TV.

Looking forward to the Tagalog dub of FMA:B on Friday. Hopefully they got Rowena Raganit back as Ed; she's almost an exact match for Romi Paku. Michiko Azarcon should be fine as Al as long as they lay off the echo effect they used in FMA1 that destroyed any trace of her sounding like a boy (which she's done quite well in other shows). And this time around Grace Cornel had better not be almost the entire female cast.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
My overall impression is that the new episode did convey all the necessary information to move the plot along, but there were little bits here and there I would have appreciated them keeping. They did shuffle around some things at the beginning to save time, it seems. Also, I found it strange that they would have the episode stop before the end of chapter 11, but when I consider all the action in therest of the chapter and in the one after it, it makes sense to leave the next episode open for all of that. A decent episode, though it felt rushed, it was a bit smoother than some previous episodes.

I've read that Sheska's voice changed from the first series, but it sounds exactly the same to me. I dislike Maria Ross and Denny Bloch's new voices. Denny's is too deep and Maria's is too gentle. They lack the leveled quality of the first series' voices. The art seems a little lazy in the episode at times, too. At least the music was okay, though I would welcome a few new tunes at this point.

Overall, a decent episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I've no complains with the 7th episodes and its animation/art, since it was different and more simplified, or I would say stylized for comedic purposes, and it was a funny episode most of the time so it fit.

Also, I've not problems with all the news voices, and I believe I understood why the voice sounds strange, sometimes, during the eyecatches at the middle of the episode... it's because the person saying "Fullmetal Alchemist" adapts his voice to the character used for the artwork!
Knowing this, I could tolerate it more... actually, I liked how he sounded in this episode, since it was hilarious and really fit the characters! Anime hyper

P.S. I watched the first three episodes of the anime with official Italian subs on YouTube: as much as I want to support them, the translation and especially adaptation of the text is poor made, not totally bad but I would give it a 6 out of 10, while most fansubbers can do (and are still doing) much better.
Also, in the YouTube version of the video the subtitles have slightly clear (but not less annoying) black stripes behind them. Fortunately, here in Italy MTV, too is streaming the episodes (though they are a bit behind), and there the black stripes are gone. But the subtitles (I mean the text) are the same, unfortunately. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't crazy about this episode. It was like, yeah, they hit all of the necessary story points, but it was done in such a mechanical way, it was just a little too quick and choppy for me. It was like, "Crap, library's burned down! Let's find this Sheska girl! We found her! She reproduced Marcoh's notes, amazing! Study montage! Here comes Hughes! Sheska has a job now, yay!" Well, I'm exaggerating, of course, but that's practically what it felt like to me. A lot of it seemed way more contrived than it did in the manga or the 1st anime because of that, too, I think. With a more natural pacing, you can get away with those kind of coincidences happening and have them seem not quite so ridiculous, but when you basically break it down into bullet points, it just makes it more and more extreme and unbelievable.

Also, the super cartoony/chibi-ness/whatever was way too excessive for my personal tastes. I'm beginning to wonder if this Director understands how to do comedy without reverting to that kind of animation, or even realizes if he can Confused Some of it was justified, as a few of the scenes were straight from the manga, but otherwise, it just got to be a bit much for me. That's just not what I watch/read FMA for, I guess.

There were a few little touches that I did enjoy. The added dialogue when Ed and Al started looking at Marcoh's notes, something about Flammel and whatnot, I thought that was a nice little addition. And the music playing when spoiler[Ed reveals that the Philosopher's Stone is made out of peeeooople! *cough*] felt very reminiscent of Michiru Oshima's work, for some reason. Which I liked.

I guess I didn't really expect a whole lot from this episode, it's basically just a lot of character introducing and setting up for the next episodes. Was the revelation of the stone saved until the end of the episode last time? I think that'd work better, such a big revelation deserves more attention/should have more of an impact. The revelation scene itself wasn't bad at all, and I quite liked the scene before that with Ed on the couch looking at the fan, even if it isn't a new one. But afterwards, we have Ross and Brosh whispering about it and Armstrong finding out all over-exaggeratedly, just kind of killed the drama of the moment for me. Ah well, what I'm really looking forward to is next week - Lab 5, bring it on!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crimson_Reaper

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
So, turns out long-haired dude was spoiler[Marcoh working so hard and so long, that he makes Winry's all nighters look like child's play.] Aside from that, I had no complaints, although I would like the pictures they have at the half-way point to be played elsewhere, at the end maybe. Today's high pitched squel was... disturbing to say the least.

Anyway, next week I am guessing they combine two chapters into one, since the fight scenes don't take that long in -THIS- anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad you're having such difficulty with the official subs, Sariachan. When I heard that European countries were streaming/airing Brotherhood, I'd hoped you'd be having a better experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Oh god, why oh why did they have to make the ceiling ventilator in that poor computer CGI? It bother me a lot Confused
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
^ Poor? It looked well done to me, and it did mix well with the 2D animation.

penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad you're having such difficulty with the official subs, Sariachan. When I heard that European countries were streaming/airing Brotherhood, I'd hoped you'd be having a better experience.

Well, at least I think I'll be able to get the DVDs sooner than expected (I hope the DVDs subtitles will be made together with the people who translate and adapt the texts for the Italian publication of the manga, who made an excellent job). Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
You'll be getting the DVDs sooner? Lucky!

And here I was feeling bad for you. :p
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Oh god, why oh why did they have to make the ceiling ventilator in that poor computer CGI? It bother me a lot :?

It could be worse, it could be CGI armors :p
kpk

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
^ Poor? It looked well done to me, and it did mix well with the 2D animation.

3D animation will never (ever!) mix well with 2D animation. That's why i hate that so many cartoons feelt like they need to mix it there somewhere. It's ruin the illusion of a complete whole world. The only time that i did see a good mix between 2D and 3D animation however, was in Blood: The Last Vampire and Silver's body in Disney's Treasure Planet. But that's about it.
kpk

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
kpk wrote:
Oh god, why oh why did they have to make the ceiling ventilator in that poor computer CGI? It bother me a lot Confused

CGI armors :p

*puke*

I hate that the most Confused
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

Personally I thought the ceiling fan looks great and blended very well with 2D animation. In fact that whole scene was excellent.

Speaking of DVDs I wonder when we will get them. I guess it won't be until Japan gets 13 episodes on DVD which could be awhile. Also I was thinking it would be really nice if Funimation could design a boxset to keep all the 13 episode sets in. They probably won't but I don't see why we can't have something nice when it comes to packaging this time around. That's one thing about the old series the packaging of the original singles was so nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 64