• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah I really liked Envy's voice acting in this episode as well. They really portrayed that he's and ass and he loves being an ass because he can quite well. Also I enjoyed the fight with Slicer much more in this series actually, Ed just seemed overall more competent than he did in the first anime. Although I can't really say I'm looking forward to the next episode as much as I was with this one. I didn't really enjoy Al's little identity crisis in the first anime, I didn't really like it much in the manga and that bodes not well for the next episode. I mean it's good and all and it lends some depth to Al but for the most part, I just didn't really like it.
eLric.ö

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
Nice one.. I guess i'm very late at this news .. hah hah..!
i Embarassed
I like the roLe of Mustang Laughing
and Maes too.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
I couldn't help but chuckle when Slicer just casually kicks Ed. Laughing
Crimson_Reaper

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:
Yeah I really liked Envy's voice acting in this episode as well. They really portrayed that he's and ass and he loves being an ass because he can quite well. Also I enjoyed the fight with Slicer much more in this series actually, Ed just seemed overall more competent than he did in the first anime. Although I can't really say I'm looking forward to the next episode as much as I was with this one. I didn't really enjoy Al's little identity crisis in the first anime, I didn't really like it much in the manga and that bodes not well for the next episode. I mean it's good and all and it lends some depth to Al but for the most part, I just didn't really like it.

I believe the magna handled the whole Al idenity crisis quite well, it was quick and did not waste an entire episode.
Victor B

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
I can legally watch FMA Brotherhood here Very Happy (it is NOT a joke)...
What about you, in North America? Can you also legally watch that series a few days after it is broadcasted in Japan?
smilesbliss9

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I liked da whole barry jus flinging his knife into dat guard] I think it made him seem mor of a treat n kinda added some humor at da same time and I also liked Al identity crisis a lot a lot betta dis time around.

I kinda liked da fight wit Edward n da Slicer betta dis time around. I thought da lighting was fine and I also liked where they were fighting.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
smilesbliss9 wrote:
spoiler[I liked da whole barry jus flinging his knife into dat guard] I think it made him seem mor of a treat n kinda added some humor at da same time and I also liked Al identity crisis a lot a lot betta dis time around.

I kinda liked da fight wit Edward n da Slicer betta dis time around. I thought da lighting was fine and I also liked where they were fighting.

Ouch, y'know I really don't want to come off as a jerk or anything but I believe one of the forum rules is that you're to at least make an effort to use proper english for your post rather than IM speak. That being said, I agree with you for the most part. IMO the fights were handled much better this time around.

The last time they did the Barry arc/Al's identity crisis they had Ed's backstory with Barry so they fell back on that to make him seem threatening. This time around however, Barry was just a sadistic killer on death row and they really got that across well.

The only qualm I had with the first series (and I know this was a big point in the series but still it bugged me) was that everything was somehow directly or indirectly linked back to Ed and Al. The manga, and hopefully brotherhood will as well, features Ed and Al as the main characters but gives almost everybody their own show time and whatnot. It just a lot more convincing that Barry would be just another sadistic maniac on death row rather than having it be that one criminal that just happened to have a run in with Ed and Al at the beginning of the series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I liked in the first series when they had Barry beforehand and then reintroduced him in the armor. It called back to a particularly vulnerable time for the brothers, and showed their progress, because at this point, Barry was actually less threatening as a suit of armor than beforehand. Then, later on, when they showed him working with the military, he was again in the middle of a emotional conflict with the brothers, but again they showed progress by defeating him.

I will, however, agree that Barry was otherwise a pretty pointless character in the first series, and actually fairly pointless later in the manga, too, though pretty entertaining around Hawkeye and Falman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Actually Barry was not pointless in the manga. In fact his character was used in relevant ways. I guess you could argue that they could have got another character spoiler[to get Maria out of jail]

But Barry's character was also used to demonstrate spoiler[Rejection and how this would later tie back to Al/]

Mind you Barry is a minor character so he didn't do a whole lot. But he is still a fun character and much more entertaining than his first anime counterpart. Although I did like episode 8 of the 1st anime a lot the rest of the stuff they did with Barry just really didn't do it for me. And I also didn't like that Barry in the armor was conveniently the same character that attacked Ed & Winry. I understand the first anime wanted to bring back characters to make things feel more full circle but it relied a bit too much on conveniences for me.
smilesbliss9

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:

Ouch, y'know I really don't want to come off as a jerk or anything but I believe one of the forum rules is that you're to at least make an effort to use proper english for your post rather than IM speak. That being said, I agree with you for the most part. IMO the fights were handled much better this time around.

O it is ok, I have always typed that way, because it is the way I talk when I am home. I will make an effort to spell everything out and use proper grammar as to not offend anyone here.
smilesbliss9

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:

O it is ok, I have always typed that way, because it is the way I talk when I am home. I will make an effort to spell everything out and use proper grammar as to not offend anyone here. With that being said I would like to extend an official apology to anyone that may have been offend by my earlier post. It will not happen again.
smilesbliss9

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:

O it is ok, I have always typed that way, because it is the way I talk when I am home. I will make an effort to spell everything out and use proper grammar as to not offend anyone here.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I liked in the first series when they had Barry beforehand and then reintroduced him in the armor. It called back to a particularly vulnerable time for the brothers, and showed their progress, because at this point, Barry was actually less threatening as a suit of armor than beforehand. Then, later on, when they showed him working with the military, he was again in the middle of a emotional conflict with the brothers, but again they showed progress by defeating him.

All the enemies so far are much less threatening than the first series simply due to the rampant animeisms in FMA2. It's kind of hard to take them seriously with all the goofy faces and sudden form changes every two seconds. It's not 'cute' or endearing in any way. It got annoying by the end of the second episode.

That's really the only thing I dislike about FMA2. If they cut down on the animeisms it would go up a point or two on the scale.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
A lot of that humor comes from the manga. Arakawa likes to inject a little humor in the manga here and there to keep it from getting too depressing, and actually, a lot of that ended up in the first series, too. I don't mind it too much, because I got used to it. It does sort of ruin the verisimilitude at times, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
FLMikeATT wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

All the enemies so far are much less threatening than the first series simply due to the rampant animeisms in FMA2. It's kind of hard to take them seriously with all the goofy faces and sudden form changes every two seconds. It's not 'cute' or endearing in any way. It got annoying by the end of the second episode.

That's really the only thing I dislike about FMA2. If they cut down on the animeisms it would go up a point or two on the scale.

True but it's only in there because it's there in the manga and thus with brotherhoods keeping to the manga had to be included. I don't mind it much, as I said before if you read the manga it's in there a lot so it just becomes part of the series. Not to mention that without it the manga would be a lot darker and almost clinically depressing to read.

Edit: Looks like somebody beat me to the punch while I was writing this...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 64