• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CANAAN (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Considering how dead this thread is, I wouldn't get your hopes too high for a U.S. release on this show. CANAAN is a solid show for sure, but I won't be heartbroken if I never see it reach our shores.

The most recent episode (7) has opened a whole new can of worms. spoiler[The U.S. almost made a colossal mistake by attempting to bomb a building with many world leaders (including their own for God's sake) after hastily deciding no vaccine is available because the guy who made it supposedly died. That doesn't make any sense to me-just because the guy who is most knowledgeable and powerful regarding the vaccine is dead, doesn't mean the vaccine itself suddenly ceases to exist. Bit far fetched plot wise for me. ]

Good news is spoiler[Canaan saves the day by putting her senses into overdrive and pulling something out of her ass at the last second. I believe this "overdrive" has something to do with what we see at the end of the episode, which is a temporary withdrawal into normal senses. Yes that wording is awkward as hell, but I'm gonna leave it as is. ]

Last edited by Kirkdawg on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Considering how dead this thread is, I wouldn't get your hopes too high for a U.S. release on this show. CANAAN is a solid show for sure, but I won't be heartbroken if I never see it reach our shores.

Ehhh, don't let activity of thread be a determining point of what gets licensed (if it were, K-ON! would have been snatched up sooner Laughing ). The show CANAAN has a lot of qualities that will definitely get licensed with its girls-with-guns and action-thriller plot to really satisfy American fans.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg got some of the stuff, although the fact that the series is bad friends with realism and coherent writing is old news known since - episode 1 maybe? Well, fine, episode 2 Laughing

Here's me from another forum:

"7 was the second-worst episode thus far (second only to the "Canaan emo mode" episode), with the most unbelievable amount of cheese-per-second rivaled only by Tokyo Mag. or the spring-season's Sengoku Basara (although Basara doesn't even pretend to be anything more so I guess it's okay). Oh, and more (stolen sequences) uhh, references from other action movies that were, frankly pretty bland. More Matrix, twice this time - I guess they really like the movie or sth.

Aaand, the way it's developing, we're probably in for another boring development in the next ep that reeks of Dragonball-style storytelling - let's see, Goku overstretches himself, loses his tail and with it a lot of power, and then 20 eps later grows it back for a decisive fight. Sound familiar? Now, I wonder what will happen to Canaan here <_< <_< Wanna bet?

I guess the series might be pretty disappointing to those who expected anything like KnK and/or quality storytelling - I personally didn't, so I could put up with its mediocrity for a while, if it ends at 13 (which it should?)"

At this point, it's an average (mediocre) action series closer to stuff like Gungrave more than GitS or KnK
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
While this series doesn't take the cake for character development this season, it certainly does for mystery (although I'm not watching Phantom, but then I've never been a Bee Train fan.)

Episode 7 revealed the important connection (or at least part of it) between Canaan and Alphard: spoiler[Canaan stole Alphard's name, and apparently the affection of their teacher.] I'm not sure what else happened between them, but that line about Alphard being spoiler[Canaan] quite gave me chills.

On the other hand, the attempt at politics, particularly at bringing America into the story, is ludicrous. I mean seriously, they're meeting in the White House in secret with a "President of the United States" CG logo swirling around in the background on huge TV screens.

What the series is doing well is developing the mystery. There are tons of excellent questions left: spoiler[What is Maria forgetting? Why did Alphard call her deceitful? What is Alphard's true goal? What happened between her and Canaan? Between Alphard and their teacher? And why is pink-Hawaiian-shirt man saying he's responsible for the disappearing village while Hakko says it's Canaan's fault?]

One can only hope the answers are truly shocking Twisted Evil
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, spoiler[I'm not so sure who got the name Canaan first. Still, I'm almost positive it will come down to some kind of emotional drama on Alphalpha's part - I mean, she's the villain and is likely to be "wrong".

As for Maria, here's some speculation. We know that she lost memory because of a traumatic experience, and that she was Ua-infected. Considering how much we hear about the darn village without any useful information, she's probably connected to that, and knows the "secret". As for the experiment, I bet it was an attempt to replicate Canaan's power, but who knows]

Hmm, glad to hear someone is getting positive emotions from the series. I've been moderately dissatisfied with it thus far.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 8! now that was deliciously.....

spoiler[.....GAAAAYYYYYYYYY! Cool

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4996/1250975071250.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8693/1250976787330.jpg

Maria to Canaan: "I just want you by my side........so please, don't leave me." Hell, the fact Maria described herself and Canaan as the sun and moon made me glee a lot. Anime catgrin

Oh yeah, stuff happened dealing with that mute chick Hakko. Definitely has trauma for killing that boy when she first spoke in that flashback.]

Now to check out episode 9. So far this series this series is delivering on fun action scenes as well as more Canaan x Maria moments that are SO easily slashable; the girls-with-guns genre in anime tends to do this quite a bit.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Hmm, 09 was actually surprisingly good, aside from Alphalpha acting like a stereotypical spoiled villain who changes her mind whenever the director wants her to without a good reason. Still, the village was pretty well done.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This series is really getting even better. I just wish they would pronounce Canaan as "KAY-NUN". Yunyun is one of my faves because she's so spastic.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
This series is really getting even better. I just wish they would pronounce Canaan as "KAY-NUN". Yunyun is one of my faves because she's so spastic.

Why? They are pronouncing it the correct biblical (Hebrew) way, which is implicit in the double a. In fact, I have a friend named Canaan and his name is pronounced the way you prefer, and it drives me nuts because that's NOT the way you say it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Rainbowcourage, how do you know this is the correct pronunciation?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Canaan, the origin
It has the phonetic pronunciations and spellings right there. The anime does make references that the name comes from that origin, so they are pronouncing it the right way. At least, according to the experts that spent most of their lives studying that stuff... proof enough for me.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Rainbowcourage, how do you know this is the correct pronunciation?

Because that is how my Israeli religion teachers pronounced it (although slightly differently, with a little less emphasis on the first a and a little more emphasis on the double a; generally, however, the VAs are pronouncing it correctly).
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
I can't argue with the experts then. I am wrong then.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or this anime's just become interesting at episode 9? Why was it so boring to begin with? I just couldn't reach a conclusion other than lack of originality. But I'm finally starting to understand it. This anime was so centrically focused on Canaan that it was sickening. But not anymore, CANAAN has finally opened it's doors to the other characters, revealing more about their past and their curse.
Past episodes aside, I'm really hoping to see real action in the last episodes. Episodes which aren't just about Canaan.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I liked this series throughout so far probably because I'm having so much fun shipping Canaan and Maria along with enjoying the intensity of the plot that's SO like your American action thriller TV series or movie! And speaking of thrillers, Episode 10 was pretty damn insane! Shocked

spoiler[Li Qiang is now officially the most insane bitch ever especially the way she got Hakko to kill Santana. It was utterly tragic; Li Qiang laughing at the whole thing made it worse. Crying or Very sad

Some peeps in other forums mentioned this episode almost reminded them of Resident Evil which is not totally farfetched since Canaan and the others discovered the infected Unbloom "zombies" in the underground lab.

With the others away, Yun Yun and Maria went on their own little adventures which led them to a frozen person with red eyes in it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7