• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Manic Maughan-day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
agila61 wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:
so, is it not the case that UK translations tend to be "more intelligent" ... i.e, take a look at the way the Harry Potter books were "dumbed down" for the American readership. ...

Weren't Harry Potter written in English by that formerly poor and now wealth pommie lady? What do they have to do with UK translations?

yes, they were of course originally written in English, but they were "re-written", in English, for the American audience. in other words, "translated" from a richer vocabulary to a poorer one.

I so wanted this to be true, my mistake for googling the question to find out what's up. It'd be a bloody gallah who'd think swapping jumper and sweater was "translating from a richer vocabulary to a poorer one" ... I can see why that annoys Rowlings.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:
agila61 wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:
so, is it not the case that UK translations tend to be "more intelligent" ... i.e, take a look at the way the Harry Potter books were "dumbed down" for the American readership. ...

Weren't Harry Potter written in English by that formerly poor and now wealth pommie lady? What do they have to do with UK translations?

yes, they were of course originally written in English, but they were "re-written", in English, for the American audience. in other words, "translated" from a richer vocabulary to a poorer one.

I so wanted this to be true, my mistake for googling the question to find out what's up. It'd be a bloody gallah who'd think swapping jumper and sweater was "translating from a richer vocabulary to a poorer one" ... I can see why that annoys Rowlings.

i'm not sure what you found on google (or what your search terms were), and all this was several years ago now, but if memory serves when we were reading that first book we found differences on practically every page. it's just too far in the past for me to remember specifics. it certainly wasn't "local" language and slang (such as jumper/sweater) that surprised us. that much at least seemed natural.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Thanks for the well-reasoned counterpoint. I understand there are many fans of this film, and while I don't understand their opinions I do respect them.

I am most appreciative of your kind aknowledgement.
Like most others, it is a somewhat undisciplined habit of mine to assume a defensive tone when critical discussions of my favourite titles come about. Nevertheless it is fortunate, at least in my case, that such discussions tend to be few and far between.

TimMaughan wrote:
Sorry for delay in replying guys, been busy with London EXPO and over stuff.

Were you there yesterday? For some of the time, save when watching the wrestling, I was "accompanying" a press member in possession of a special all-access pass. Did you have something similar, or were you immersed in the "early entry" queues as I was?

Quote:
I must admit I've not had a chance to look at it in much detail yet - I need to do more research and read up on it prperly. But yes, sounds like nonsense and probably utterly unpolicable.

Maybe so, though the CJB is ostensibly more dangerous than the old Obscene Publications Act. It is quite explicit in what it prohibits, and whilst it would have no effect on anime or the majority of manga, there is plenty of previously legal content now out of bounds. (By "previously legal", I have in mind the weakness of the possession clause in the 1964 obscenity act.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Re: Halo: The Anime Failure

There is literally NO EXCUSE for that to have sucked as hard as it did! None. Micro$oft has more money and resources than you'd find in most countries; that this tanked is both a wonder -you have to work really hard to fail that bad- and a head scratcher.

If they pooled all the money they found in the couches around Microsoft HQ and Bill Gates Main Home in Seattle, they could probably have purchased Studio Ghibli to make the damned thing (Master Chief "Totoro")! It boggles my mind that they failed so horribly.

Yep. Anime cry Though more tragically, they already had the perfect studios lined up. I mean Bones and IG, come on!

Well, I'll just have to fantasize about Microsoft picking up Funi and funding a 26 episode redo.

Add: I'm with Tim. I want more sci fi anime! Good grief... And my empathy regarding writing science fiction while trying to watch/read/do whatever else with it. That's a chronic problem for me too!
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
@Justin

About the time of the previous podcast when you were sharing your DVD storage woes, I was listening to an NPR pod where they discussed the Collyer Brothers. By any chance did you catch that one and have an 'OH S#!T' moment? Very Happy

On Metroplis...the waiting for Tezuka to die before making the movie was distasteful. Still, I liked the movie. Maybe I was just dazzled by the visuals and the music (I love that one scene with the rescue robots and the off kilter horns). I was wondering what scene(s) you considered inappropriate use of music. I remember something in the 'making of' extra that mentions wanting to do something different with the music. Yeah, yeah different not always equal good. Sad

I hope I get a chance to see the re-restored live Metropolis(I just recently watched what was supposed to be the most compete version til now.). Very Happy

On The 5th Element:
I did not see it for quite some time after it came out. I kinda wish I'd seen it in the theatre. The one thing that I think is worth mentioning that I never hear is that it is funny. Not a comedy per se, but amusing, it has a kind of whimsy that it does well. All I knew at it's release was Bruce Willis in space. It's almost Brazil-like, Terry Gilliam's take on Orwell's 1984. When I first saw it, I would have bet that he had made it.
I really like Gary Oldman in this. Chris Carter too.

Quotable too:
Aziz! Light!
moolti pass
DISAPPOINTED!
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:

On The 5th Element:
... The one thing that I think is worth mentioning that I never hear is that it is funny. Not a comedy per se, but amusing, it has a kind of whimsy that it does well. All I knew at it's release was Bruce Willis in space. It's almost Brazil-like, Terry Gilliam's take on Orwell's 1984. When I first saw it, I would have bet that he had made it.
I really like Gary Oldman in this. Chris Carter too.

i agree with that assessment -- there's a lot of Gilliam in this film, which i love. i'd call it Gilliam's take on Star Wars. and it does have a lot of humor -- especially sci-fi in-jokes, such as the burly, square-jawed military officer sporting a princess leia hairdo. and Chris Tucker is insane! green? super-green!

Ian Holm, who is in Gilliam's Brazil is also in this, and is as superb as ever.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

Re: Halo: The Anime Failure
There is literally NO EXCUSE for that to have sucked as hard as it did! None. Micro$oft has more money and resources than you'd find in most countries; that this tanked is both a wonder -you have to work really hard to fail that bad- and a head scratcher.

If they pooled all the money they found in the couches around Microsoft HQ and Bill Gates Main Home in Seattle, they could probably have purchased Studio Ghibli to make the damned thing (Master Chief "Totoro")! It boggles my mind that they failed so horribly.

Re: Twilight Anime

Please. No.

Wait how did Halo Legends did so bad when the DVD sale show that it sold more then 321, 774 units. It also rake in 5.15 million dollar. Hardly called a failure if it sold more then 300,000 DVD and Blu-ray and gain more then 5 million dollar. I guess it just fans opinion.

I'll agree with you that Twilight shouldn't have a anime. We already have a anime like that, it's called Vampire Knight. The plot is very close to Twilight and there's no need for a Twilight anime. However, I'm pretty sure Japan will probably do a live-action remake of that movie. Hey, we remade most of their movie and Japan did remade one American film, Sideways. Why can't Japan do more remake of American film. Talk about an eye for an eye. Just get Tetsuya Fujiwara (Light from live-action Deathnote, and Battle Royale) to play as Edward, and Aya Ueto (Azumi) to play as Bella for the Japanese remake. We don't need a Twilight anime, just a live-action remake for the Japanese market (and I wonder how many people that complain about USA remaking Asian film will not complain about Japan remaking Twilight and claim the Japanese version is better).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TimMaughan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Wait how did Halo Legends did so bad when the DVD sale show that it sold more then 321, 774 units. It also rake in 5.15 million dollar. Hardly called a failure if it sold more then 300,000 DVD and Blu-ray and gain more then 5 million dollar. I guess it just fans opinion.

That was kind of my point on the podcast. It sold really well - presumably because it's a well known franchise and was bought by Halo fans (as opposed to anime fans) that hadn't read the reviews.

Selling well, sadly, does not mean it was good. My concern is that many of those that bought it will be hugely disappointed, will think that much anime is of the same poor quality, and not buy any again for a long time. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like my concerns about the Animatrix, which should have been a great mainstream crossover hit for anime; but for whatever reason they went way too artsy and ended up with stuff that didn't really look that much like the majority of anime out there.
Reminds me of the hymn books we use in our church - for some bizarre reason they have 'modernised' a number of the Christmas carols (but none of the other hymns) and this has always boggled my mind since these are the most widely known hymns in the book so not only are all the regulars confused but so are those who only come to Church once a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Sounds like my concerns about the Animatrix, which should have been a great mainstream crossover hit for anime; but for whatever reason they went way too artsy and ended up with stuff that didn't really look that much like the majority of anime out there.
But at least they got a taste of quality. Wink That said, I consider The Animatrix to have been fortunate to get that artsy with Warner Bros watching over the whole process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
TimMaughan wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

That was kind of my point on the podcast. It sold really well - presumably because it's a well known franchise and was bought by Halo fans (as opposed to anime fans) that hadn't read the reviews.

Selling well, sadly, does not mean it was good. My concern is that many of those that bought it will be hugely disappointed, will think that much anime is of the same poor quality, and not buy any again for a long time. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I doubt that, even before Halo Legends was made. Couple of anime fan on ANN forum made a topic on non-Japanese stories that should be made into anime, and Halo was one of them and this was way before Halo Legends was debuted. I'm one of the Halo fan that like seeing Halo getting made into anime. Guess what, I never knew it would became true. We may have a new legion of anime fans thanks to Halo Legends. After that, now I'm starting to think what other western franchises could get end up getting anime anthologies/adaptation. We may end up seeing Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six getting anime. Why:

-Ubisoft had said they wanted to do JRPGs. They might try to enter the anime market by making some of their JRPGs into anime, which could in turn end up having some of their western franchises turn into anime like Rainbow Six.
-Gunslinger Girls was one of the anime that got me thinking, Rainbow Six anime could be like that.
-The Rainbow Six series in Japan was very successful. Just look at Vegas in Japan, it got Playstation 3 the best in Japan (Japanese equivalent of Greatest Hits in USA). Also Rainbow Six 3 for the PS2 got Ubisoft the best in Japan. Also, There is a good fanbase for that game in Japan, so a anime adaptation of this could happen at some point with Ubisoft (and maybe Funimation) backing.

Now I'm curious on what kind of anime is Funimation is co-producing.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey Justin,

I had been skimming through the DVD titles at my library this week, and lo and behold I found the Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" you had been praising. Taking your recommendation, I borrowed it.

I just finished watching it yesterday, and I'll have to say I really enjoyed it. I normally don't watch silent movies (I don't know why, 'cause the ones I have watched I enjoyed), but of the ones I've seen this is definitely up there as one of the best. My favorite attribute about it would probably have to be the music (and I mostly agree with you about how strange the music was in Rintaro's version, especially in the end during the climatic scene... I started laughing out loud when I heard it, but eventually it grew on me until it felt appropriate - then again I'm pretty good at convincing myself that there's something better or deeper to be found when there isn't).

Anyways, I just had a question about the last three minutes of the movie. spoiler[The DVD ended up crapping out on me during the last three minutes and kept skipping scenes. From what screenshots I saw, I could basically make out what was going on, but I wanted to make certain. So I saw everything up to when Freder was carrying Maria down the stairs after the fight with Rotwang. After that, from what it looked like, Frederson and Grot face one another, Maria repeats "the head and the hand must be mediated by the heart", and then Freder has them shake hands, I'm guessing. Have I missed anything?] Yeah, that was a major disappointment when the DVD started doing that. I was really enjoying the movie and would have liked to have experienced all of it. Maybe I'll buy the restored version when it comes out (from what it sounds like, the restored version has several scenes that were previously missing anyways, so there will be more to see).

Anyways, thanks again for the recommendation.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I had been skimming through the DVD titles at my library this week, and lo and behold I found the Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" you had been praising. Taking your recommendation, I borrowed it.

Woohoo! Film history win!

Sounds like you didn't miss anything, that's the ending, and the way it's cut seems a little abrupt in earlier restorations. Not sure which version you saw -- hopefully it was the Kino version based on an earlier "definitive" restoration, and not one of the super-cheap public domain versions of the old hack 'n' slash American cut. Those are just terrible.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
It was 118 minutes, the one I saw, which means that quite a bit was missing from the original 153 minute version. I could tell it was edited, because a few scenes didn't make sense (an intertitle stated that Maria was able to escape from Rotwang, but no explanation was ever given on how she escaped... it was just, she suddenly escaped).

After looking up on wikipedia, I believe I watched the F.W. Murnau Foundation/Kino International restored version. It looks like the newly restored version (using the material recovered from Argentina) is 145 minutes. I look forward to seeing this version, because even if 8 minutes is still lost, it will at least have intertitles explain what originally was going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5