• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kekkaishi-[adult swim broadcast] (w/index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! Smile I can't wait to see Yoshimori's big bro show up!
braves

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
So, did anybody else think that episode 10 was the best so far? This series has had some touching moments, but this one really hit all the right spots when it came to the comedic aspects of the show. There was also some really nice animation in the alley scene at night, but it was nice to look at overall. I was surprised to see that Hiroshi Ikehata directed this episode, though it definitely explained the quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Cake and cockroaches? Yeah ep10 was pretty funny. Your title of best episode might be short lived after you see Sat's episode.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait till' tommorowspoiler[Koya arc starts, it's one of my favorites], these next few episodes sould kill about 80% of the comments saying Kekkaishi is "super generic" shonen.[/spoiler]
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been on board with this show since it began on [adult swim], and for the most part, it's been satisfying. The best, so far, was the one where Yoshimori and Tokine were fighting the ice mole thing, and the worst was when Yoshimori had to help spoiler[the patissier] to move on.

From what everyone in the know says, the show only gets better from here. If that's the case, I'm down with it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah 11 and 12 are great.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
You know, despite some negative feedback, I have found the series decently enjoyable so far, given it may not really be AS materail, an d could just as easily have been on regular CN, but still.

Sure it does have a decent amount of genaric elements, but its a decent enough shonen series. I find the characters entertaining, and the story is OK. Sure its not an A+ show, but its fun to watch non the less.

And If it does indeed get better as it goes on. Then I hope it eventually gets more viewers.

(BTW: I heard the Manga version was pretty good? is that true?)
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
You know, despite some negative feedback, I have found the series decently enjoyable so far, given it may not really be AS materail, an d could just as easily have been on regular CN, but still.

Sure it does have a decent amount of genaric elements, but its a decent enough shonen series. I find the characters entertaining, and the story is OK. Sure its not an A+ show, but its fun to watch non the less.

And If it does indeed get better as it goes on. Then I hope it eventually gets more viewers.

(BTW: I heard the Manga version was pretty good? is that true?)

In my opinion the manga is better
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
ahh, I see, I may just have to give the manga version a glance then.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Apparently as a rule of thumb the manga is always better. I think in my entire life I have read 3 posts that say that the anime is better than the manga it was adapted from and 5 that say the anime is as good as the manga.

I personally wouldn't know because I don't read manga but that seems to be the consensus.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Apparently as a rule of thumb the manga is always better. I think in my entire life I have read 3 posts that say that the anime is better than the manga it was adapted from and 5 that say the anime is as good as the manga.

I personally wouldn't know because I don't read manga but that seems to be the consensus.

Yeah the anime is on par but manga wins for being a little more fast paced
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
I missed last week's ep. This week: Dog fight! Very Happy

I like Madarao's back story and his "true form" is awesome! His quote "love knows no boundries-gender or species!" Made me laugh~That's what the American conservatives are afraid of. Gay marriage leading to interspecies marriage. Maybe even being able to marry your dead gay dog!

For the record: the manga is better. Oh, and I'm still waiting for spoiler[Masamori to show up. And Gen!!! I loved Gen (as well as Sen and the other Night Troops)]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Agreed, awesome episode, helps that Madarao's been awesome so far and that they picked a great choice for his voice too.

Agent355 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the manga, so I'm one of those annoying fans who will insist that everyone stick with it, 'because it gets better! I watched the second ep on [as]'s site last night, however, and boy, does the show look and feel like generic, juvenile shonen stereotypes in the beginning. Yuck! Is there anything more annoyingly generic than axioms like "I just want to get stronger!" "I want to make sure [name of girl] never gets hurt again!" "Boy, you're so powerful, but you're so reckless!" Etc. It all sounds so...Inuyasha. They even connected his cake dream (which is all charming and funny in the manga) to his desire to impress Tokine (in the manga, I'm pretty sure he wants the cake for himself, and seeing as he's a 14 year old boy, that makes more sense to me! Smile Cake rocks!). I'm also less-than-impressed with his Ed voice, but I'm hoping it'll grow on me.

Never seen the manga but yeah, aside from some nitpicks like the episodic streak we were on the characters and the supporting characters have been pretty enjoyable as is the show so far, so if it does indeed get better it should be a fun ride even if it's not groundbreaking.

And actually I think you're right on, what you mentioned is really my only small complaint so far and since there are quite a few interesting layers and twists to their job, and the neat twist in the way the series does the fights, and the characters have been likeable, it hasn't been too hard to overlook some minor faults and some generic parts. Tokine's been shown to be able to take care of herself especially if they team up, she doesn't need to play damsel in distress in a fight, so the frequency in which the show falls back on "I want to make sure [name of girl] never gets hurt again!" "Boy, you're so powerful, but you're so reckless!", sometimes gets to me Inuyasha-style as you say (ugh) because Tokine's got some coolness whenever they stop sabotaging her character's actions simply for Yoshimori's sake, especially since they've gone overboard with his motivation for absolutely everything from cake to fighting being only just that so we hear it every single minute and you could live with him occasionally thinking about protecting her but the way the creator's are playing it out and bashing you over the head with it makes you want to smack them and by extension Yoshimori sometimes because she's not a weakling, she doesn't always need protecting so it can be kind of irritating since it butts into the pacing and drama of the fights and have her spend so much time "watching".

I also particularly like their portrayal of the "cube weapon" thanks the neat animation effect and how they are implemented in the action scenes like the unique thing with how they "stack" them.

I think Vic's Yoshimori performance has been ok, the main thing that hurts it for me is based on the show's original dialogue itself since currently his lines really only alternate between fawning over Tokine and yelling about cake. I really like the choice for Tokine's voice and especially their two partners' voices sound spot on, and the two grandparents' voices have done well so far too. It also helps that I think Barbara Goodson and David Lodge yelling at each other has been really funny, they're probably my favorite comedy bit so far.

Anyway, it's got a likeable foundation so that's a good sign and it was nice getting more history on one of the other sorta main characters.
Helices

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
I just can't get into it.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:

It's a very good adaption, only problem is if you want to continue the story after the anime you have to read the manga anyway...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7