• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Working!! Restaurant Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Is Takanashi -> Katanashi funny? I don't speak Japanese, so I wouldn't know. I probably wouldn't even recognize this as a joke if I read it in subtitles, I would think it was a typo.

Takanashi is a not-uncommon surname. Katanashi isn't even listed in my naming dictionary. And since katanashi happens to mean "spoiled" or "ruined", I doubt a name that sounds like that would be especially popular in the first place. Wink So, yes, mangling the syllables in his name matters - sort of like someone named Dirk being called Drek.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless there was a second meaning to the switch, I don't see how one specific misprounciation would be better than another.

Takanashi and Katanashi resonates well in Japanese, thus why I said the company would have to be smart enough to find a better translation if they're going to stick with the character's first name (which won't be as simple as to switch a syllable).

As for a second meaning... I wouldn't know. I believe it wasn't specified in the anime. Hey look, NIS's site itself tells us...

Quote:
Popura Taneshima
Voiced by: Kana Asumi

A waitress and de facto mascot for the entire restaurant. She is the epitome of cute and is, much to her dismay, often mistaken for an elementary school student, despite being a 17-year-old sophomore in high school. According to Sota, she is the "same level" as a water flea in terms of "cuteness". She erroneously calls Sota "Katanashi" (in Japanese, "katanashi" means a complete fiasco).

There you go.

Bakemonogatari is another fine example of how they love to play with names.
The protagonist's called Koyomi Araragi. One of the heroines often prolongs his surname by one or more "ra". How would they find a way around in the dub? Koyoyomi would sound like something 4kids came up with. And that's exactly why we wonder why this show would be anymore awesome dubbed than it already is with the Japanese track.

Last edited by egoist on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I think if Funimation can find a way to work around a joke like Masane to Masamune (serious chest according to TL notes) in Witchblade by using the name Melony, I think there is a way around this, assuming the company actually tried to find a way around this.

OH!

Takanashi -> Takinashit

I am a genius.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Takanashi -> Takinashit

I am a genius.

That's his family name. I thought since they want to relate with their costumers they would be using the first name?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where Meggido got the idea that all dubs use first names, because they don't. Especially if there's a big mouth flap difference like Takanashi (4) has to Souta (2). I suppose if they wanted to use his first name they could go Sissy Souta or something, but I think this would be a case of using the surname instead of the first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, it sucks when they have to change a show's name to legal reasons, but if they'd got to change it, they've got to change it. Personally, I think that fact that it's a foreign show and the fact that they didn't pick the original name should make it so that there's no legal ground to give them grief over using it, but apparently things don't work that way.

As for complaining about NIS' encodes, has anyone actually had any problems with that after their initial Toradora! and Persona releases? I thought that they'd fixed all of those problems. If they haven't had any more issues, then I think that they really should be given some slack. It was their first release after all, and they did replace the discs with discs with better encodes.

And there's really no point in complaining about the lack of dubs on NIS releases at this point. They're too new to be able to risk it, and odds are that anything they release has already been passed on by anyone who would dub it (like Funimation) - though I would have thought that Toradora at least would be attractive to Funimation. I guess not (or maybe NIS just got lucky, though I find that unlikely). With anything released by NIS at this point, I'd say that we're just lucky that it got released here at all. Sure, it would be nice if a studio in a firmer financial position had picked those shows up and dubbed them, but they didn't. And as for Working, I don't think that it's the kind of show that anyone would dub these days anyway. It just isn't likely to be a big enough seller. So, a dub would be nice - I do think that it's sad when we don't get a dub for a show - but I think that it's totally unrealistic to expect any dubs from NIS any time soon.

Regardless, I'm glad to see this series coming over. I'll definitely be picking this up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Lots of people are upset with the video in Pandora Hearts. Supposedly NISA raised the contrast/brightness higher than it should, so now the grain effect is really noticeable and looks bad.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for complaining about NIS' encodes, has anyone actually had any problems with that after their initial Toradora! and Persona releases? I thought that they'd fixed all of those problems. If they haven't had any more issues, then I think that they really should be given some slack. It was their first release after all, and they did replace the discs with discs with better encodes.

Their recent Pandora Hearts release has problems, but they aren't fixing it because "that's how it's supposed to be". So yea, 3 of their 5 releases have had funky discs (first Toradora set, first Persona set, and now Pandora Hearts). I also don't think anyone has gotten Our Home's Fox Deity yet, so that could, potentially, be 4 for 6.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how problematic their Pandora Hearts is, since the fansub version I've seen was also pretty bad (too dark, bad sound quality). That one seems to be more on the Japanese's side. While NIS doesn't seem to be completely innocent. Shouldn't they be a little better at this, since they also deal with games?
That wouldn't stop me, though. I loved Pandora Hearts, and just buying it would be enough... to continue watching the fansub version is more feasible (do I hate to change discs).
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
............... you took the worked right out of my mouth. We all know that Toradora did well so why isn't NIS holding up their part of the bargain and dubbing it.

What "bargain"? They said they'd consider dubbing titles in the future if they could do it in a cost effective way, but I don't believe they ever explicitly stated that they'd go back and dub Toradora! if it sold well. I think they even went as far as saying they wouldn't do dubs on previously sub-only titles because they didn't want to force certain fans into "double dipping" on titles or cause fans to hold off on buying a sub-only title thinking a dub may come later if they wait (but I can't find the interview where they said that). Don't get your hopes up waiting for that fabled Toradora! dub.

Emerje
soulfringe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I am interested in seeing the pricing. From what I saw at AX, NIS DVD's are freaking expensive. At least in comparison to bandai/funimation prices. While I enjoyed the series, I don't think it's one I would care to drop down $60-80 for.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

BTW, I really hope they use the name "Poplar". Some fansubs used "Popura" which I'm pretty sure is just Engrish since she's named for the poplar tree and there's no such tree I know of called a "popura".

Emerje

If the page on their official website is anything to go by, they'll be using "Popura" as her name. While I, personally, would have rather they kept "Poplar", I do think "Popura" sounds better as a name and is easier to say. It just rolls off the tongue better IMO.

http://www.nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=wagnaria&pfile=chars.php
Emerje wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
............... you took the worked right out of my mouth. We all know that Toradora did well so why isn't NIS holding up their part of the bargain and dubbing it.

What "bargain"? They said they'd consider dubbing titles in the future if they could do it in a cost effective way, but I don't believe they ever explicitly stated that they'd go back and dub Toradora! if it sold well. I think they even went as far as saying they wouldn't do dubs on previously sub-only titles because they didn't want to force certain fans into "double dipping" on titles or cause fans to hold off on buying a sub-only title thinking a dub may come later if they wait (but I can't find the interview where they said that). Don't get your hopes up waiting for that fabled Toradora! dub.

Emerje

I believe that was a twitter question on the NISA ANNcast.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

You're right about two years, because thats how long it normally takes a new label to start dubbing.

I'm giving them a reasonable amount of time to get themselves well-known and get into anime English dubbing. From my thought, it took two years for Dokuro-chan to finally get a dub after it's initial NA release.

Anime needs more Johnny Yong Bosch, Cristina Vee, and Hynden Walch.

Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Proof? [comment removed]

[Mod Edit: That kind of inflammatory comment is entirely unnecessary and disrespectful. You don't have to agree with everyone, but you are expected to be civil and at least respect the rights of others to have their own opinions. - Keonyn]
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Proof? [comment removed]

Whoa, dude, calm down.

He got that info from the NISA ANNcast from this past summer (I think it was back in June or July). And unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that really is what they said. Of course they could always change their minds, but...
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Proof? [comment removed]
lol are you going to put him on your douchebag list, big boy?

EDIT: wow, looks like you did!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7