• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Sentai in Talks Over Former Bandai Entertainment Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
The title of this news article is somewhat awkwardly phrased. When I first read it, I thought that Funi and Sentai were talking to each other about former Bandai titles as some kind of joint venture.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Thinking about it though, this is kind of a weird announcement. What's the point of bringing up the fact that you're having negotiations before any deal goes through? Especially since nothing can end up happening. Does Sunrise expect fans to start pushing one company over the other to get them to sign a deal or something?

Right! These negotions would be a private matter between Sunrise and each potential partner. What does Sunrise gain by making this public? Maybe some sort of subtle pressure tactic, or just mistakenly saying something that should have been kept private.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

-Turn A Gundam (that series need to be rescue, if Funimation dub it can we get Annika Odegard from DW: Gundam 1 and 2 to reprise as Loren Coheck for the dub and if they can't, can Cherami Leigh or Alexis Tipton voice Loren).

I can't picture anyone else doing Loren aside form the VA that he had in DWG. Same thing for Gym. McNeil made Gym his and it was awesome. However, I don't see Funi willing to give it to Ocean assuming they get it. See the Shana fiasco.

Yes but Funimation managed to get Ocean to dub Black Lagoon OVA. So if Funimation can managed to get Black Lagoon OVA dub, then I think they can get Ocean to dub Turn A Gundam.

They don't need Ocean Group to dub Turn A Gundam. They can use their own VAs. Turn A doesn't have multiple series with dubs, so there's no VA they'd need to bring back.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or is this news title misleading?
From what I gather, this news is simply that FUNimation and Sentai are in talks to license Sunrise titles that were formally licensed by Bandai Entertainment.
So that's stuff like the Gundam series, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, My Hime, My Otome, Kurokami... just to name a few.

So...I'm not quite sure why people are mentioning stuff like K-ON, Haruhi, Lucky Star etc, since they are from completely different companies.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote
My only concern is whether FUNimation or Sentai will release The Vision of Escaflowne with the deleted scenes and give it a new English dub, because it really deserves it (that, and one character's squeaky kid voice NEEDS to be given the shaft!!).
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
aye_know_hah wrote:
I just hope one of them releases Escaflowne on BD. Preferably in a nice neat little package. Or a pretty one that won't cost an arm and a leg like the Japanese import.

I'd race you to the front of the line Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Yes but Funimation managed to get Ocean to dub Black Lagoon OVA. So if Funimation can managed to get Black Lagoon OVA dub, then I think they can get Ocean to dub Turn A Gundam.

That also didn't stop them from NOT getting back the casts for Tenchi, or Shana, or Trigun.... The fact they got back the Black Lagoon cast probably has everything to do with the fact it's so short and the Vancouver people already work for close to nothing, but I bet Funimation thinks they live pretty dangerously financially for doing that Rolling Eyes

While you have a point for Shana & the Trigun movie, they DID get most of the original Tenchi cast back for the third OVA. The only Tenchi shows that didn't have them were only because their characters had very little (GXP) to no (War On Geminar) involvement at all.

FireChick wrote:
My only concern is whether FUNimation or Sentai will release The Vision of Escaflowne with the deleted scenes and give it a new English dub, because it really deserves it (that, and one character's squeaky kid voice NEEDS to be given the shaft!!).

Either the show gets a complete redub or those scenes can be treated as just that, deleted scenes, and added as undubbed extras. That's the only way I see this working out if either of them get the Blu-ray masters.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

That also didn't stop them from NOT getting back the casts for Tenchi, or Shana, or Trigun.... The fact they got back the Black Lagoon cast probably has everything to do with the fact it's so short and the Vancouver people already work for close to nothing, but I bet Funimation thinks they live pretty dangerously financially for doing that Rolling Eyes

While you have a point for Shana & the Trigun movie, they DID get most of the original Tenchi cast back for the third OVA. The only Tenchi shows that didn't have them were only because their characters had very little (GXP) to no (War On Geminar) involvement at all.

As NJ said, Funimation did their best to bring back the original cast. I know they didn't bring back most of the cast for the Trigun movie (only JYB was brought back). But getting the Vancouver cast to reprise their role for the Black Lagoon OVA was a good start, the Tenchi series Funi manage to get most of the cast back, so that's good enough for me.

TopGunman wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

-Turn A Gundam (that series need to be rescue, if Funimation dub it can we get Annika Odegard from DW: Gundam 1 and 2 to reprise as Loren Coheck for the dub and if they can't, can Cherami Leigh or Alexis Tipton voice Loren).

I can't picture anyone else doing Loren aside form the VA that he had in DWG. Same thing for Gym. McNeil made Gym his and it was awesome. However, I don't see Funi willing to give it to Ocean assuming they get it. See the Shana fiasco.

They don't need Ocean Group to dub Turn A Gundam. They can use their own VAs. Turn A doesn't have multiple series with dubs, so there's no VA they'd need to bring back.

If you played DW: Gundam 1 and 2. Annika Odegard does a good job doing Loren which I don't know if Cherami Leigh or Alexis Tipton can pull off, also as Lynx said Scott Mcneil nailed Gym really well, and given Mcneil voiced a character in FMA, maybe Funimation could get Mcneil to voiced Gym again for the anime for real.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
The thing that pops out about this news item is that it actually says "Ozaki noted that Sunrise will release some of its series through distributors such as these." I underlined the part that sticks out to me. The way I'm reading this it isn't just Funimation and Sentai that are going to in talks. We already know that Nozomi has Gundam Unicorn and while many of the bigger titles could be out of the price range of groups like Discotek or Media Blasters (I'm pretty sure there are at least two more companies here I'm blanking on, if not more), VIZ could also be still in the game (I'm not sure how likely that would be but just ruling it out doesn't seem the correct idea either).
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It seems Sunrise is developing a US presence on their own, but unlike Aniplex USA, will be distributing titles through other companies. Wouldn't surprise me if they eventually set up a full US branch.

Yeah! They could call it Bandai Entertainment, or maybe Bandai Visual.

Somehow I don't think that Sunrise is going to threepeat that strategy. They'll sell premium releases straight from Japan, and mass market releases through the locally based home video distributors.
streexanime

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It seems Sunrise is developing a US presence on their own, but unlike Aniplex USA, will be distributing titles through other companies. Wouldn't surprise me if they eventually set up a full US branch.

Yeah! They could call it Bandai Entertainment, or maybe Bandai Visual.

Somehow I don't think that Sunrise is going to threepeat that strategy. They'll sell premium releases straight from Japan, and mass market releases through the locally based home video distributors.

At least from what I notice with market news and trends, Sunrise through Bandai has made it clear they're not going to (re)open a US branch.

Really it should go through Aniplex USA, Funimation and Sentai. Funimation has better experience in the market. Aniplex might be Japanese run, but it understands how an American anime market works.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
.//hack series
Angel Tales
G-Gundam

Galaxy Angel series (MUCH needed anime to be released in US again)
My-Hime series (as well as My-Otome)
Pilot Candidate
Please Teacher
Please Twins
s-CRY-ed
Sola
Stratos 4

The Girl Who Leapt Through Space (THIS TIME, do the UNCUT version)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Wolf's Rain

Please correct me if I made mistake on the lists above.

Man, Those are the anime I needed (or to be correct, wanted) get, but they're long gone and are too expensive to purchase online.

There are still some SunCoast stores out there, know northern Baltimore has one. There are also large FYE stores too. I have seen Wolf's Rain at them.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

TopGunman wrote:

If you played DW: Gundam 1 and 2. Annika Odegard does a good job doing Loren which I don't know if Cherami Leigh or Alexis Tipton can pull off, also as Lynx said Scott Mcneil nailed Gym really well, and given Mcneil voiced a character in FMA, maybe Funimation could get Mcneil to voiced Gym again for the anime for real.

I own the 2nd one. But still, it's just a game, it's not canon with the shows or anything.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
FUNi gets Bebop.

Calling it now.

We can only hope and pray!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope Sentai doesn't get any of the better titles. They'll just screw things up.

It'd be great to get the Cowboy Bebop Blu-Rays. Oh, and the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8