• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Anime Club Leader Jailed For Teen Sex Abuse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
It's disgusting that this discussion isn't as black-and-white as it should've been.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Fierywind12 wrote:
Perhaps there IS a problem with people jumping to the defense of sex-offenders, as zac claimed, but that does not mean that anyone not expressing the same opinion about a case as zac or anyone else is "defending" that person.
Well we don't know what was said here but the thread was cleaned up, implying worse things were said then trashed and anything we can see is probably not the most objectionable stuff.

Unless someone said someone deserved to be a victim, it wasn't victim blaming. When there is a lack of evidence, all conclusions reflect a bias. And everyone should question media reports that seem to withhold facts.
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Fierywind12 wrote:
Perhaps there IS a problem with people jumping to the defense of sex-offenders, as zac claimed, but that does not mean that anyone not expressing the same opinion about a case as zac or anyone else is "defending" that person. Dtm42's point about the ambiguous wording of many ANN articles about legal cases is a valid one. His posts were logically presented, and to say he was coming to the defense of the guy written about in the article is a misrepresentation of his argument. I believe that due to a personal problem zac has (self-admittedly) had with people "defending" sex offenders, he has developed a bias against anyone who isn't calling for the death of these offenders (a hyperbole, just so people don't think I'm being literal). Dtm42 went out of his way to point out that he isn't defending this guy, and that he in fact deserved a harsher sentence if in fact rape was involved.

By all means though, continue to ban people who make valid points and don't agree with you, so you can keep ignoring issues you don't want to look at or recognize exist.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Fireywind's comments above. Discussion forum reputation aside, Anime News Network is a news outlet and should have some accountability to accurately and thoroughly report facts. Dtm42 emphatically stated that he is not in anyway justifying rape, and really more or less challenging the way the story is being reported, what sort of crime has really been committed, and whether or not it can accurately be termed rape as many here in the discussion thread are insisting it should be.

Zac clearly has strong opinions on sex abuse cases, and he's completely entitled to voice them through the many editorial channels available to him, but "forum cleanup" of readers who question or disagree with those opinions in the context of ANN news reporting is a completely transparent example of editorial staff using forum mod powers to silence criticism and discourage other points of view.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Those of you commenting on this like it's an isolated incident with Dtm42 clearly do not read the forums enough to understand that it is a pattern of behavior that got him banned, not simply this thread. It is a long, long history of other users complaining about his behavior. I recently decided to finally start getting rid of the users here seemingly everyone complains about, and took Dtm's flame bait posts in here as an opportunity to show him the door. You may notice I'm not banning everyone in the thread who posted these awful half-defenses of a sexual predator, just the guy wi a rap sheet a mile long who I've been meaning to get rid of. Know the context before you start crying about censorship.

Also, calmly and logically explaining why rape is ok in some circumstances and really isn't rape if you think about it or whatever doesn't make that view any less reprehensible or acceptable.
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also, calmly and logically explaining why rape is ok in some circumstances and really isn't rape if you think about it or whatever doesn't make that view any less reprehensible or acceptable.

The word rape doesn't even appear one time in the article being discussed here. Calling forum users rape apologists for sticking to the topic and taking the article on its own terms is pretty reprehensible too.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
Zac wrote:

The word rape doesn't even appear one time in the article being discussed here. Calling forum users rape apologists for sticking to the topic and taking the article on its own terms is pretty reprehensible too.

Rape and sexual abuse may not necessarily be the same thing, however they are cut from the same cloth, that cloth being what seems to be the real purpose as to why Sturman was convicted.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
(I am, of course, assuming that the intoxication was perfectly willful - otherwise we veer towards flat-out territory).
in the UK under aged drinking and getting drunk is also "flat-out" illegal.

This is me just nitpicking because I'm a pedant but technically the UK purchase age is 18, the UK drinking age is 5.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s#legaldrinkingage
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
Zac wrote:

"No you're still doing something wrong because"

Dtm used the phrase 'kinda-consensual sex' to describe a sexual predator taking advantage of underage girls. You can split hairs and defend this garbage all you like, I saw it as a perfectly valid reason to show him out.

You'll live, I'm sure.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unless you see the entire trial, or plea bargain, or whatever happened in court, you'll never have all of the details that were used in his conviction. Reading a short and undetailed blurb doesn't give the specifics. It doesn't even say for certain or not if it was rape, just "sexual activity", for which I don't know English law and I don't know the specifics of the charges. Does anyone else? For all I know, it could be molestation, and it doesn't make him any less guilty, but it is a different crime.

I believe it is referring to the offence of "sexual activity with a child" as per section 9 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003. Molestation (as you say) is still a pretty horrifying and traumatising thing to happen to someone, especially as according to the report one of the girls is still having nightmares about this.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unless you see the entire trial, or plea bargain, or whatever happened in court, you'll never have all of the details that were used in his conviction. Reading a short and undetailed blurb doesn't give the specifics. It doesn't even say for certain or not if it was rape, just "sexual activity", for which I don't know English law and I don't know the specifics of the charges. Does anyone else? For all I know, it could be molestation, and it doesn't make him any less guilty, but it is a different crime.

I believe it is referring to the offence of "sexual activity with a child" as per section 9 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003. Molestation (as you say) is still a pretty horrifying and traumatising thing to happen to someone, especially as according to the report one of the girls is still having nightmares about this.

It also didn't help that while writing the article, unless I completely missed it, that UK court records and sex register isn't publicly accessible without submitting forms. By comparison, most states in the U.S. have a searchable internet database (maintained by the state/federal government) of criminal and court records as well as the sex offender registry, as long as you know the person's name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fierywind12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Those of you commenting on this like it's an isolated incident with Dtm42 clearly do not read the forums enough to understand that it is a pattern of behavior that got him banned, not simply this thread. It is a long, long history of other users complaining about his behavior. I recently decided to finally start getting rid of the users here seemingly everyone complains about, and took Dtm's flame bait posts in here as an opportunity to show him the door. You may notice I'm not banning everyone in the thread who posted these awful half-defenses of a sexual predator, just the guy wi a rap sheet a mile long who I've been meaning to get rid of. Know the context before you start crying about censorship.

I prefaced my post with the fact that I'm not an experienced forum-goer here, to point out that I do not in fact know of any possible context, but I do know what I've read here, and not once did he say a rape wasn't a rape, explicitly or implied. To begin with, the article doesn't refer to rape, so even IF someone was defending the sexual offender here, which I have not seen done, they would not be defending rape. Dtm did not calmly and logically explain why rape was ok or that certain situations weren't really rape, he argued that there are varying degrees of rape which, as he pointed out, is acknowledged by many legal institutions (including the U.S.). To say that all rape is the same is presumably to avoid the trivialization of some forms of rape, but to refuse to acknowledge that there are in fact lesser degrees of rape compared to pulling someone off the street and raping them in some back-alley actually trivializes the latter. There are different degrees of murder, but does that mean murder is any more justifiable? No, it is just a recognition that not everything is black-and-white, and circumstances do in fact matter.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Fierywind12 wrote:
...but to refuse to acknowledge that there are in fact lesser degrees of rape compared to pulling someone off the street and raping them in some back-alley actually trivializes the latter.

Something like 80% of all rapes are acquaintance rapes, be it by people they know or family members. So I guess 80% of rapes are not thaaaaaaaaaat bad, because at least it didn't occur in a back alley or something. Okay.

I guess, yeah, anything could be "worse." Sure. But that doesn't make other rapes "less" rape. There is no such thing as "lesser degree" of rape. Violent back-alley stranger rapes are in no imminent danger of being trivialized; acquaintance rape is often trivialized, as we see in this thread.

Using degrees of murder as an argument is ridiculous. You can accidentally kill someone with your car if you fall asleep behind the wheel. You can't accidentally rape someone. You can only first degree rape someone.
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I guess, yeah, anything could be "worse." Sure. But that doesn't make other rapes "less" rape. There is no such thing as "lesser degree" of rape. Violent back-alley stranger rapes are in no imminent danger of being trivialized; acquaintance rape is often trivialized, as we see in this thread.

But this thread isn't even about rape... in ANN's own words, it's about sexual activity with and/or abuse of a minor.

This whole conversation about trivializing rape in itself trivializes rape because in ANN's own words the perpetrator does not stand accused of rape!
Fierywind12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Fierywind12 wrote:
...but to refuse to acknowledge that there are in fact lesser degrees of rape compared to pulling someone off the street and raping them in some back-alley actually trivializes the latter.

Something like 80% of all rapes are acquaintance rapes, be it by people they know or family members. So I guess 80% of rapes are not thaaaaaaaaaat bad, because at least it didn't occur in a back alley or something. Okay.

When did I say acquaintance rape was of a lesser degree? I in fact only gave one example of a rape and didn't give examples of lesser degrees, so please do not categorize me with people you have issues with on the forums and then argue against those people, because it ignores the actual argument I'm making in favor of one easier for you to argue against.

As for acquaintance rape being trivialized in this thread, not only does the article not say whether it was rape, it doesn't say whether the victims were acquaintances or not. This plays into the argument that's been made that news articles on these issues are often nonspecific and inaccurate, which I at least feel is irresponsible given the typical gravity of such cases.

And to say that you can only first-degree rape someone is not true. First of all, using the term "first-degree" to refer to rape in the same way it's used in murder is misleading, because the degrees don't work the same way. Second or third degree rape does not necessarily mean intent is not involved. You can, in fact, rape someone by accident, as if a girl is below the age of consent, but you do not know that, it would still be statutory rape, as she legally could not provide consent.

Last edited by Fierywind12 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

But this thread isn't even about rape... in ANN's own words, it's about sexual activity with and/or abuse of a minor.

The article isn't about rape. The thread itself has digressed into such, hence my comment about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9