• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy's 90-Second Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys! Ever consider that maybe the reason women don't tell you that they're bothered by depictions of women might be that you've made it clear you're okay with it and consider everyone who isn't to be a prude? Peer-pressure can keep people quiet, and a lot of women have learned to stop complaining because it gets them labeled a "prude" or a "bitch" or "frigid" or whatever. Just a possibility.

Personally, I have no idea if the fanservice in this series is going to be offensive or not because I haven't seen it. From the trailer, it looks like it's making fun of Dandy's obsession with the restaurant ("the one with the hot waitresses and the not-so-hot wings?" I Laughing ed at that), which is fine by me. I haven't seen enough of the show to know whether the women will be treated as human beings and not just the boobies of their franchise's title. Until then I reserve judgment - but I also reserve the right to judge it without being dismissed as "a small minority" of women who feel creeped out by male gaze and fanservice saturation.

Okay... with that out of the way, oh man I am looking forward to this because I love whacky comedies, and the trailers have been promising and the staff (esp. Keiko Nobumoto, who can't get enough work as far I'm concerned) gives me some hope that it'll pay up on that promise. Sometimes I want deep masterpieces, sometimes I want something to stick on the tube and laugh for thirty minutes straight. Here's my fingers crossed that this will be good.
ZaNeCuDi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Stark700"]I'll probably watch it in its original sub language but this is going to be FABULOUS.[/quote]

technacally the original version is english since its given to north america before japan
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
ZeNeCuDi wrote:
technacally the original version is english since its given to north america before japan

"Given" and "Finished for preparation on a scheduled timeslot for television" are two very different things in the world of broadcasting. And its stupid to figure out what the original is since there both voiced over silent moving pictures with added sound effects which in definition is called, "dubbed". And he/she obviously mentioned, "sub language," not just, "original language," so I find your technical standpoint to be a bit uncalled for.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
so I find your technical standpoint to be a bit uncalled for.

You'll live.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I always find it funny when guys say they know some women....so that means they are experts on how women feel about fanservice.

I obviously don't talk for every woman and if some women don't mind or even like fanservice than that is their prerogative but when a guy is telling other guy he is a prude because he has some respect for women and doesn't like how they are objectified well then that is when I have to speak up.

And most of the fanservice in anime is not sexy but extremely juvenile. Sex does not equal bouncing boobs but to each their own.

edit: Thank you Sakuragtin!

Ahhaha, actually, I wasn't suggesting that ALL guys who dislike fanservice are prudes --- part of it was just my musing on what might be the reasons for the largely male backlash I've seen to fanservice, but it also comes from my own personal experience of being a prude in the past, and learning from women (especially cosplayers and lesbians) to appreciate fanservice, and have a healthier, more open appreciation of the female form. Those experiences helped me come to a personal realization that there's nothing wrong with appreciating the female form or liking the way boobs, behinds, curves/etc. look, nor is there anything wrong with enjoying the physical/visual beauty and sexiness of women. Now if that's the only thing you appreciate about women, or if you suggest that it is the only thing that can be appreciated about women, that's an entirely different story altogether. That's why I've come to find that I don't consider fanservice in and of itself demeaning, as its focus is usually on the former, and doesn't by itself comment on the latter. I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that enjoying female physicality immediately means that a work is suggesting that that's the only worth women in general have, or that it's the role they ought to fulfill in relation to men. But if it isn't a message that's being suggested by the creators or being pushed by the show, then it's not a conclusion that should be immediately jumped to. A lot of times fanservice isn't trying to imply some deeper commentary about gender relations in the real world, so I think people need to be more discerning about how they criticize works that contain fanservice, and be wary not to project meaning onto those works that isn't necessarily there.

vashfanatic wrote:
Hey guys! Ever consider that maybe the reason women don't tell you that they're bothered by depictions of women might be that you've made it clear you're okay with it and consider everyone who isn't to be a prude? Peer-pressure can keep people quiet, and a lot of women have learned to stop complaining because it gets them labeled a "prude" or a "bitch" or "frigid" or whatever. Just a possibility.

LOL well continuing from before, for me at least you've got it completely backwards actually. In the past I was originally fairly reserved about these topics, and it was through conversing with women (many of whom were anime fans) that they told me that they have an admiration for boobs, booty, and the female form in general.

Lavnovice9 wrote:
I think Kikaioh is right for the most part. Maybe it's just who I hang out with since my office involves about 40 people ages 20-35 of mostly women and most of them there whenever they see my station with a few stickers or figures they go "Damn, check out those tits, wish I had those!" and laugh and ask what it's from. Most of them are the more social and party type who are pretty flirty around the office rather than the quiet and nerd type so they seem more comfortable with sex and other things. Given what I see in the break room in women's magazines with women half naked and tons of tips on sex and beauty I think there's a nice chunk of women are pretty okay with sexiness. Of course everyone is different and you'll find people for and against anything pretty much but I think society in general is pretty okay with sexy women given all the movies, magazines, and TV shows that feature them and seems to be pretty accepted Smile

This is actually similar to what I've noticed as well. If I think about it, the girls I talked to who seemed more social and outgoing have more often been comfortable about discussing sex and human physicality. It makes me wonder if there's a correlation between personal openness and opinions on fanservice.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

Ahhaha, actually, I wasn't suggesting that ALL guys who dislike fanservice are prudes --- part of it was just my musing on what might be the reasons for the largely male backlash I've seen to fanservice, but it also comes from my own personal experience of being a prude in the past, and learning from women (especially cosplayers and lesbians) to appreciate fanservice, and have a healthier, more open appreciation of the female form. Those experiences helped me come to a personal realization that there's nothing wrong with appreciating the female form or liking the way boobs, behinds, curves/etc. look, nor is there anything wrong with enjoying the physical/visual beauty and sexiness of women.

Heheheh...... girls are as pervy as they come, even though they may blush about it. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
So when are you boys and girls going to condemn Faye Valentine ?
You know, the co-star of Cowboy Bebop. The super sexy female of the Bebop crew ? Who doesn't exactly have a flat chest I might add, and who certainly doesn't go around hiding her "sexiness".

Space Dandy's female lead will be alright.
We're not talking Ikkitousen material here.

Except that Faye was a strong female character. She was intelligent, strong-willed, knew what she wanted and was not afraid to pursue it, used her sex appeal as means to achieve her goals, she was complex, her relationships to other characters and her role in the series were far beyond "look at those bouncing boobies!".

Of course, I can't say if Dandy will have such heroine at any point at all, but as it stands, the more prominent female character's description goes as follows:

Quote:
Honey, a waitress with a nice body and dim wits at the Boobies restaurant

It's not the "sexiness" that's a problem. It's the fact that in many series, women don't have anything to say for themselves except serve as means of transport for those bouncing boobies
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

Ahhaha, actually, I wasn't suggesting that ALL guys who dislike fanservice are prudes --- part of it was just my musing on what might be the reasons for the largely male backlash I've seen to fanservice, but it also comes from my own personal experience of being a prude in the past, and learning from women (especially cosplayers and lesbians) to appreciate fanservice, and have a healthier, more open appreciation of the female form. Those experiences helped me come to a personal realization that there's nothing wrong with appreciating the female form or liking the way boobs, behinds, curves/etc. look, nor is there anything wrong with enjoying the physical/visual beauty and sexiness of women. Now if that's the only thing you appreciate about women, or if you suggest that it is the only thing that can be appreciated about women, that's an entirely different story altogether. That's why I've come to find that I don't consider fanservice in and of itself demeaning, as its focus is usually on the former, and doesn't by itself comment on the latter. I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that enjoying female physicality immediately means that a work is suggesting that that's the only worth women in general have, or that it's the role they ought to fulfill in relation to men. But if it isn't a message that's being suggested by the creators or being pushed by the show, then it's not a conclusion that should be immediately jumped to. A lot of times fanservice isn't trying to imply some deeper commentary about gender relations in the real world, so I think people need to be more discerning about how they criticize works that contain fanservice, and be wary not to project meaning onto those works that isn't necessarily there.

And I wasn't saying that disliking fanservice=thinking men should dislike the female form or as some idiot once told me I think all women should dress like nuns.

What I said is I am against the objectifying of women that happens in fanservice. That the female character is known for her "big boobs" and not as a fully realized character. I don't care if a female character is flat chested or has the most amazing cleavage, I just don't want that to be the focus of her character.

As Crow Lia points out a female character who is known for her body and dim wits doesn't sound very promising.

You can also keep talking about your experience with "women" but that sounds silly on a message board when you are debating with other women.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
Charitably, you could suggest that her objectified starting point provides a lot of room to grow as a character... but I'm not going to expect it.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
bs3311 wrote:
so I find your technical standpoint to be a bit uncalled for.

You'll live.

I know Laughing

On too something positive! The visuals do look good. Not as visually stunning as other ones, but its smooth. Reminds me a bit of Avatar the last airbender for some reason, but more fluid. Don't ask how that came into mind Rolling Eyes
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the cat alien partner would be female. Oh, well.

Every character looks incredibly stupid in this show, regardless of gender.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Of course, I can't say if Dandy will have such heroine at any point at all

Obviously you didn't watch the trailers close enough, or you would've seen Scarlet kicking all sorts of ass.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Of course, I can't say if Dandy will have such heroine at any point at all

Obviously you didn't watch the trailers close enough, or you would've seen Scarlet kicking all sorts of ass.

Obviously we're watching different trailers. I just rewatched this one and she doesn't even show up, as opposed to 15 seconds of "LOL BOOBIES!"
jree78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Somehow this reminds me of Redline, I don't know why.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
That dub trailer sounds amazing. I was lucky enough to see the premier trailer at Otakon 2013 with the Space Dandy crew and first impressions on the dub are positive. I lost it when the Misfits played. Man that was an badass touch. I would love to hear some more of their songs in the series, that would be unique and different. Shinichiro Watanabe did say he was going to use a lot of vintage science fiction influences in this. So can't wait to watch this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6